Question: Knowledge and Applied Information

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 02:53 pm
Hello,

I'm currently a University student enrolled in a Philosophy and Technology course and I have to write a paper on the following topic:

"Given that our culture, especially its educational institutions, is increasingly presenting information as the only kind of knowledge, how would you suggest we articulate the difference and value of knowledge as distinct from mere applied information?"

I'm a little lost on how I should approach this from beginning to end. I know I'm suppose to draw on my own personal experiences as a civilian, student, etc. But again, I can't wrap my head around where to start answering this, and I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight or advice on how I should approach it.

Thank you!

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 03:15 pm
@Student2k2,
My personal reaction is to treat your instructor's general thesis as a logical fallacy of “begging the question.”

"Given that our culture, especially its educational institutions, is increasingly presenting information as the only kind of knowledge, how would you suggest we articulate the difference and value of knowledge as distinct from mere applied information?"

I would contest the assumption made that our educational institutions are increasingly presenting information as the only kind of knowledge.

I would use the instructors request for a paper on the issue as the basis for contesting the assumption…and suggest that you might gain some points with the instructor for noticing that the kind of instruction he/she is presenting by asking for this paper is anything but “information if the only kind of knowledge.”

You have got to flesh this out, but it might be a way to start.

thack45

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 05:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

My personal reaction is to treat your instructor's general thesis as a logical fallacy of “begging the question.”

I was thinking exactly the same as I was reading the OP.

The question employs circular logic, where there questioner presents a proposition that "uses its own premise as proof of the proposition. In other words, it is a statement that refers to its own assertion to prove the assertion." wiki

With this in mind though, I'd give the prof what he wants to hear to get the grade.
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 08:52 pm
Quote:

I look at this different , not a logical conundrum , but the difference between knowledge used practically , information , as opposed to knowledge that isn't applied, practically

hence there can be a distinction between , applied information and knowledge
0 Replies