5

Oil painting signed by Lucas

nards01

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 12:43 am
I have an oil painting that bears only the signature "Lucas". I've searched and can't seem to find anything about this artist. Who is he and is this painting legit!! It is a beautiful painting of a scene, probably in Italy - two buildings bearing flower boxes in the windows with a cobblestone street down the middle and a view of the sea. Thanks for any help

vineyard

1  
Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:23 pm
@nards01,
Hi, I have three oil paintings by presumably the same artist. One is signed simply 'Lucas' and the other two are signed, 'A Lucas.' They are all of the same theme (Italian street, flower boxes, cobbled streets, sea view.) Unfortunately, I know nothing about the artist and stumbled upon your question because I was looking him or her up too. Did you have any luck? By the way, where do you live? If you're in the same vicinity as me, he or she may be fairly local. I'm in Northamptonshire.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:25 pm
@nards01,
Sounds like tourist crappola, not to be mean, but the way I think it is.

Enjoy the paintings for themselves.

Caesars Palace

1  
Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:17 pm
@nards01,
We have just picked up a painting of a cobble stone street looking down a incline with buildings on each side with flower boxes to a view of the ocean. Ours is a 72 X 48 oil on canvas signed by "Lucas" We purchased ours in Las Vegas.

FreakyFerret

1  
Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 06:07 pm
@nards01,
Okay, this is getting a bit comical. Have to agree with the other gents comment that this must be the same "tourist crap." Tourist crap or not, it's a nice scene and painting. I reside in Seattle but bought while on a biz trip to SFO - from a place named Ravanelli's on Grant Street. After buying and having shipped home, came to learn that the store owner has little to no integrity. But perhaps that’s a story for another time. And we're happy and pleased with the painting and framing. I was not looking for anything "valuable" rather just something nice that went with the home decor. So we got what we wanted. But my curious search for who "Lucas" is led me here. As the other guy said, just enjoy it for what it is. I would post a photo of it here if I could. All the other descriptions are spot on: Old villa on right, cobble stone walkway down incline with colorful flowers near front left corner overlooking what appears to be a Mediterranean coastline, also on the left, and the ocean in the center (more or less) with clouds above. Quite nice actually. Ours is about 57" x 46" (incl. framing).

So can't answer the question as to who Lucas is but know it sounds like a mass produced piece. Enjoy it nonetheless and stop searching for who Lucas. Probably a fictional character anyway - yes, that's my cynical side popping up.

cheye

1  
Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 03:52 pm
I also have a lucas bought it for 1.00 at an auction. It is an original and hung in the dresser rand for years...mine is of a city street with the road way looking like a mirror. It has seens of people and vehicles and an old clock tower..it appears to be a European city. We put ours on Craigs list once for 150.00 or best offer and we had so many responses and some offering more that we decided that we better get appraised before we sell. Unfortunately we have yet to get appraised bit it is beautiful no matter the value
jonrambo

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 04:31 pm
@cheye,
@cheye Hey! Bought my A Lucas in some antique shop in Saulkrasti, Latvia. The owner is bringing cool stuff from Germany. I can tell that canvas is quite old and the painting looks similar to ones that everyone describies.

you can check it here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZMvdn9zek3d0pudHVvZVBBaTFKak50V2J4ZTFRdmhBM1BR/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZMvdn9zek3Q3I3YVdJYlEzVGNBWUxWTWxXYW5PbHpqRmVB/view?usp=sharing

johnherrod

1  
Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:58 am
@nards01,
Thanks for sharing.

kreppant

1  
Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 05:49 am
I have just purchased an A.LUCAS French street scene on E-Bay for the magnificent sum of £10.

It will never be the gift that will pay my grandson through College but it looks OK.

And hey... an original for a tenner.

Anthony

vivienne2830

2  
Reply Fri 12 May, 2017 10:20 am
I have an oil painting by A. Lucas that I bought whilst in Spain 40 years ago. I presumed that it was a Spanish Street Scene. Having just taken it back from my parents' house I was keen to see who A. Lucas was. Reading these comments, I am none the wiser but still enjoy looking at it anyway.