what.are odds I have original peasant wedding feast pieter bruegel

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:01 pm
peasant wedding feast pieter bruegel
I.found this.painting glued to a old clipboard the paper its on is very old and chipped in one corner so I can see under.it slightly and.its very old crisp paper
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,439 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:14 pm
I don't think Bruegel painted on paper. Does it look like it has actual brushstrokes that you can feel? Buegel paintings have often been reproduced on paper in magazines. The old Life used to do them regularly. Take a magnifying glass and look at the paper. If it has regular rows of very small colored dots, it's printed, not a painting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 05:45 am
@kalday1989,
bruegel did lots of his masterworks (Gift of the Magi and the grissaille painting of "Christ and the Woman taken in Adultery" ) as watercolors on paper. His "Day of ST Martins was a tempera on BOARD . Bruegel was best known as a printer/engraver so most of his works were known to be papaerworks. Youd want to make sure that the paper is really "old". For it to be so it would be "laid papaer" where you can see the layers criss crossing in transmitted light. Laid papaer looks amazingly like a weave (it sorta was) of the linters rather than a pressed batch of pulp. SO

1does the paint look like watercolor? or tempera?

2Does the paper look like laid paper?

3Does the whole thing exhude a certain oldness?

Id then have it looked at by a reputable appraiser /conservator

What the hell, a primary copy of the Declaration of Independence was found being used as backing in a picture frame in a flea Market in Pa. The last time this copy sold at auction it went for 15 million bucks
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:13 am
@farmerman,
hello? anybody home? what the hel? Im interested in what youve found. Dammit, thats why I hate these fora where we try to give our opinions in a sincere effort to hep and it turns out that the poster has no manners at all..
ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:17 am
@farmerman,
and sometimes they can't find the site again

(happened to <cough> a friend <cough> of mine)
0 Replies