SOUTH BEACH DIET SHARE GROUP

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:26 pm
By the way, venison chili - good for you! Do you or your husband hunt?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:08 pm
cj, I hope you come back again and again.

CUTTING CARBS

BY NATALIE HAUGHTON LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

"A diet doesn't have to mean tasteless meals...."

Click here to read article.

Pepper and Onion Beef Stew and Lemon Roasted Chicken

You can find these recipes in this article.
0 Replies

cknight0512

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
South Beach Diet
Thanks, everyone, for the recipes and menu ideas.

Regarding the hunting question, my husband is the hunter -
deer, turkey and birds. The venison chili was delicious, but
I really prefer deer "chicken fried." (Which says a lot about
why I"m on a diet Laughing

Last night we grilled asparagus and it was really good. I'm
also considering grilling shrimp, but I'm not sure how hard
it would be to avoid overcooking it. I hate overcooked shrimp!
Any shrimp suggestions from anyone? I love shrimp and oysters
about any way a person can do them!

I'm really enjoying this forum.
Cathy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
A couple hints for grilling shrimp. Unless you're grilling collossals, get yourself a fish griller. This is essentially a shallow basket with two sides, hinged, with handles. This will prevent the shrimp from sticking to the grill or falling through the grate.

Marinate shrimp if desired. This can be anything from a simple saline solution to a store bought marinade. Preheat grill to medium high. Lightly oil both inside basket surfaces and place drained shrimp inside. Close, place on grill, and cook with grill cover on about 2 minutes, then turn over and cook another two minutes. You can tell if shrimp are done by simply pressing on them, they should be firm and not at all soft. If they don't spring back cook them for another minute or two.

You could do this on a clean grill using skewers. If using wood skewers, soak them in the marinade along with the shrimp, then wrap exposed "handle" with foil or they will likely burn up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 04:07 pm
The one on the left:

http://www.barbecue-store.com/images/ultimatesystem.jpg
0 Replies

cknight0512

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 04:33 pm
South Beach
cj - thanks for the tips on the shrimp. We'll try it this weekend.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 01:30 pm
If you live somewhere like I do, where rosemary thrives, you can use fresh rosemary sticks as skewers, just strip off the leaves. Adds a delightful flavor and scent.
0 Replies

supergirl

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:02 pm
South Beach and Me
Hey. My fiance and I started South-Beaching it after we realized that many tenets of the diet fit our cancer prevention research. I am working on pulling together recipes (and avoiding my ice cream cravings). If anyone wants to buddy up with me, let me know. I'll be glad to share my recipe findings, too; we have had some great dinners this week!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 04:13 pm
supergirl,

Please, describe some of the meals you had this past week.

I've lost 19 lbs; rather, I am solid on losing 17 lbs and bouncing ocassionally to 19 lbs. Now, I can stick a lot of items in my trousers...especially while traveling and sightseeing....happy, happy!
0 Replies

Higgins

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 03:18 pm
Exercise & hunger
I'm starting my 3rd week on the SB diet (beginning of Phase 2). I can tell I've lost some weight and according to the scale I'm down 2 - 3 pounds. I don't have very much to loose, only 10 pounds. However, I'm discovering that I'm getting hungry. I work out about 6 hours a week (cardio & weight training) and I'm wondering if that's a contributing factor. Has any one else out there been experiencing this?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:12 pm
I've lost like 20 or so pounds in the last month or so. What's my secret? I don't know, haven't really been doing anything. Confused
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:55 am
Higgins,
I felt hunger during phrase I and some in phrase II. My understanding is that in most diets one's stomach and system must adapt to the lessened intake of food. In the early stages, it is common for the urine to have a different smell which is the result of ketosis...when the body is burning fat for energy.

I am in my third month. I have lost 20 lbs; however, I am considered obese.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:07 pm
Gotta say, I'm with Child 'o da Light on this one. I'm not into fad diets. Tried them, they put my system totally out of whack. I figured, hey, I'm a chef, I can do this on my own. First off, I stopped eating CRAP. I started cooking more for myself, (chefs tend to eat on the run...bad idea), upped my veggies and fruit, cut out white flour, but not complex carbs, and ate 4-5 small meals a day, to keep my metabolism up. Oh, and I got out more. Anyway, I lost 53 lbs. and I am now firmly safe according to the BMI. Dieting is really about common sense. Carbs only need to be cut these days because we live in a society obsessed with sugar, bleached flour with no nutrients, and supposed 'low fat' snacks, chocked up with sugar, and 'no cholesterol' treats, another scam. Thankfully, something is finally being done about trans-fats in foods. Make sure you have enough healthy fats in your diet as well. The body needs a little greasing to operate properly.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
Prior to South Beach, we were eating the same kind of meals, however, the time between meals was unstructured.

Some of us need guidance, something to hang onto. We have not jumped from one "fad" diet to another. As my wife is a food expert in her field, South Beach was the eating plan closest to our own. We enjoy the author, his wife and the cookbooks. It works for us. We have no desire to run to another.
0 Replies