Writing a Bad Check

gollum

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:38 am
Is writing a bad check a criminal offense?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:44 am
@gollum,
yes but conditonally. That being said, here is the information for laws withing each state:

http://www.ckfraud.org/penalties.html

"There are both civil and criminal penalties for this unlawful act, although it is much more costly and difficult to prove a criminal case. Always consider your goal: to recover the money or punish the check writer? "
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 01:34 pm
I think it depends on the amount.
Isn't is Uttering and Publishing . . .?

Of course, nowadays, most banks have overdraft protection - if it's a valid account.

Fido

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:09 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

I think it depends on the amount.
Isn't is Uttering and Publishing . . .?

Of course, nowadays, most banks have overdraft protection - if it's a valid account.

Yes; writing enough checks isf, with insufficient funds can get you in trouble... Writing bad checks, known to be bad and passed as good is much more serious....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:19 pm
@gollum,
It's not worth the cost, and the time you will lose trying to correct it - unless you have lotsa free time on your hands.
0 Replies

legalbillingsoftware

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 06:40 pm
yes..
why did u ask?
gollum

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 07:17 pm
@legalbillingsoftware,
Because I was told that some money lenders have the borrower write a post-dated check dated the day the loan matures for the full amount of the principal and interest and hand it to the lender at the same time the lender disburses the loan.

On the maturity date of the loan the lender deposits the check. If the check bounces -- I am told -- the lender is in a stronger position against the borrower than if the borrower defaulted without the bounced check. The reason -- I am told -- has to do with criminal law (e.g., the writing of a bounced check) vs. civil law (e.g., the failure to pay a debt).
0 Replies