Kinda sorta a weird question...alot of questions actually

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 12:44 pm
How come the government and military and stuff keeps secrets and stuff from us? Like, they dont tell us anything and we dont have access to alot of stuff. My dad and my uncle were talking about all this weird stuff yesterday (my uncle believes in conspiracys and stuff and my dad doesnt really) and I didnt understand everything they were talking about but they were talking about Area 51 and how the CIA does all this secret stuff and aliens and everything. And how CIA people have super awesome computers. And my uncle told me that after 'Roswell' Nasa made an aircraft that can travel as fast as the speed of sound, Sonic Boom,

And I saw this video on youtube about Nasa and space, and blackholes and one about aliens on the moon! Do you think all that stuff is real?

chai2

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 01:03 pm
@GracieGirl,
it could be said that knowledge is power.
Eva

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 01:18 pm
@GracieGirl,
No, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. And I'll tell you why. I don't give big groups of people credit for being that organized.

That said, I do think there are lots of good reasons why everyone in the world is not told everything. I, for one, have enough trouble handling what I do know.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 01:20 pm
@chai2,

i http://www.nomeanswhatever.com/forum2/images/smilies/th_emoticon_Heart.gif Cerys
sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 01:43 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
How come the government and military and stuff keeps secrets and stuff from us?

Lots of different answers.

Like... sometimes because the government at the time is just plain doing something wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

Sometimes the government at the time is doing something that the enemy at the time can't know about, and there are few ways to tell the populace without telling the enemy (especially during wartime). An example that comes to mind there is the Navajo code-talkers in World War II, who didn't get the recognition they deserved but that was because the code was very valuable and it was dangerous for it to be exposed to the Germans:

http://www.navajocodetalkers.org

Sometimes there aren't any actual secrets, just conspiracy theories (pretty much anything related to aliens falls under that category).

Closely related to that, conspiracy theorists will say is a lot more info is unavailable than is actually unavailable.

Black holes are real. Aliens on the moon is not.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 02:08 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Black holes are real. Aliens on the moon is not.

An alien landed on the moon in 1969. His name was Neil Armstrong.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 03:33 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
No, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. And I'll tell you why. I don't give big groups of people credit for being that organized.

If all these big groups aren't that organized, why do most Americans believe that My Lai was a lone incident, Eva?

If all these big groups aren't that organized, why do a lot of Americans still believe Saddam had WMD, that he was friends with OBL?

If all these big groups aren't that organized, why do most Americans believe that the attack on Pearl Harbor was an unknown to the Roosevelt government?

If all these big groups aren't that organized, why have most Americans believed the crazy explanations from government bodies for the collapse of the Twin Towers?

If all these big groups aren't that organized, then why is it so difficult to obtain information under the Freedom of Information Act?

If all these big groups aren't that organized, then why ...

Quote:
The government spent $175 million investigating the Challenger space shuttle disaster.

It spent $152 million on the the Columbia disaster investigation.

It spent $30 million investigating the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
The government only authorized $15 million for the 9/11 Commission.

And how much has the government authorized for the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission? You know, the commission charged with getting to the bottom of what caused the financial crisis?

Just $8 million.

These figures don't account for inflation. For example, the Challenger investigation cost over $300 million in today's dollars.

You can tell alot about the questions which the government is truly interested in finding answers to by the amount of money it authorizes for the various investigations.

http://georgewashington2.blogspot.ca/2010/05/columbia-space-shuttle-investigation.html
JTT

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 03:50 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Closely related to that, conspiracy theorists will say is a lot more info is unavailable than is actually unavailable.

Go to 19:00 and listen for about a minute, Soz. [and others]

Think for a moment of the myriad machinations of the CIA since its founding - it ain't a Canasta club for old Americans - and just how much has been kept secret. Think of all the things that have been "exposed" here on A2K and these things aren't even secret, the information is widely available.

When it's made available, what's the prevalent attitude of the vast majority of Americans and others - a classic head in the sand attitude.

Quote:
"The United States is not nearly so concerned that its acts be kept secret
from its intended victims as it is that the American people not know of them.”

U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark

0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:03 pm
@chai2,
Hi chai!

Yep! But do you believe in like, aliens on the moon and UFO's and stuff?
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:08 pm
@Eva,
Yeah, I dont believe in alot conspiracy stuff either. But I dont really get what you mean when you were like "I don't give big groups of people credit for being that organized." What do you mean?

But yeah, 'Ignorance is Bliss'. LoL But still, I wanna know some stuff.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:09 pm
@djjd62,
Whats that? Confused

And I cant see your picture.
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:22 pm
@sozobe,
Ohh! Sometimes they dont tell us because they dont want other countries to know about it. I didnt think about that.

That syphilis stuff is really sad. Do you think the gov. still does that kind of stuff?

You dont believe in aliens? I do! Scientist say there are other galaxys out there, not just ours. And I read that like a billion light years away theres a planet thats twice the size of Earth and it has water and an atmosphere just like ours. Isnt that awesome?! Very Happy I totally think theres aliens and stuff. Maybe not on the moon though. My dad doesnt believe in aliens though.

This is one of the videos that I saw on youtube:

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:29 pm
@JTT,
I get what your saying but when I said 'why does the government keeps secrets and stuff" I wasnt talking about military and wars this time. I meant about cool scientific stuff like The Sonic Boom, and aliens and outer space and stuff. Plus, the CIA has awesome computers that can do all kinds of awesome stuff. Its not fair that we cant have stuff like that or atleast know about it.

But anyway, Ive been watching a ton of clips from documentarys about NASA and stuff. Its really cool. Kinda makes me wanna be an astronaut, LOL. I wanna take astronomy soo bad but its a 12th grade class so I've gotta wait like a year. Its my sophomore year now but sophomore years almost over. My brothers gonna take it next year though! Mr. Green
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:07 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
That syphilis stuff is really sad. Do you think the gov. still does that kind of stuff?

Quote:
US Biological Attacks And
Operations On US Citizens

http://rense.com/general56/biolog.htm
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:46 pm
@Eva,
Quote:

Quote:

Conspiracies

by Paul Craig Roberts

... I concluded that “conspiracy theory” is a term applied to any fact, analysis, or truth that is politically, ideologically, or emotionally unacceptable. This column is about how common real conspiracies are.

http://lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts317.html
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 12:53 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
You dont believe in aliens? I do! Scientist say there are other galaxys out there, not just ours. And I read that like a billion light years away theres a planet thats twice the size of Earth and it has water and an atmosphere just like ours. Isnt that awesome?! I totally think theres aliens and stuff. Maybe not on the moon though. My dad doesnt believe in aliens though.

Where did Sozobe say she didn't believe in Aliens?

There is a big difference between believing in aliens (i.e. life on other planets) and believing in aliens visiting us. I think most scientists believe there is life on other planets, in fact we are spending money to look for it. Based on the huge distances involved, it is quite likely that many living things, even if they evolve enough to build rockets, would never be able to make it here.

It is not reasonable to believe there are aliens visiting us (or the moon).
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:29 am
@GracieGirl,
the song is about a relationship so strange that only the two agents from The X-Files could figure it out (The X-Files was a tv show about strange occurrences and conspiracy theory stuff)

the image should have been a heart, as in i heart cerys, cerys (prounouced care-iss) matthews is the lead singer of the band catatonia, a welsh bnad from the late 90's early 2000's
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:51 am
A Klingon and a Wookie walk into a bar.....

Gracie, there's a really good book called 'Rare Earth' that you can probably find at your local library. It does a good job of explaining why we won't be having any alien visitors (except in books, tv and movies) -- written about a decade ago, and a good, fast read. If nothing else, you can use it as a counterpoint to your other research Smile
0 Replies