The politics of hoodie wearing

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:06 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Most of the sturm and drang on these pages seems like the usual two-party polarization that affects most other news events -- if you concede a point that may strengthen "the other group's side," you are a traitor to your group's cause. It leads to groupthink and talking points and mental blinders.

You've described to a T, Lash, the group think that is the USA. People are under the false impression that pointing out the numerous war crimes/terrorist activities of successive US governments makes them traitors, when all it makes them is honest, law abiding citizens.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:41 pm
@parados,
I knew one of the usual suspects would try to tell us how the two stories are dramatically different.

They have to be since you've invested so much in your outrage over the Martin incident.

Somehow, I seriously doubt you would have been mollified by the Florida police saying that just because they hadn't yet arrested Zimmerman doesn't mean that they won't.

You must burn up a lot of calories what with always trying to shove the reality into your world view.

Gailbraith must have had you in mind when he said:

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

(Now comes max to decry my co-opting the words of another beloved liberal figure Cool )
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:44 pm
finn said:

Quote:
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

(Now comes max to decry my co-opting the words of another beloved liberal figure )

It's not the co-opting, it's the blindness that doesn'tsee that it applies to you too.

Finn says:
Quote:
Somehow, I seriously doubt you would have been mollified by the Florida police saying that just because they hadn't yet arrested Zimmerman doesn't mean that they won't

So, have they done it yet? Can we see whether or not we would be mollified if it were actually done. It's been more than a month now. When do we get the chance to see whether we're mollifiable?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You must burn up a lot of calories what with always trying to shove the reality into your world view.

Gailbraith[sic] must have had you in mind when he said:

Committed hypocrite that you are, Finn, you say this with nary a trace of embarrassment.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:58 pm
@DrewDad,

FreeDuck wrote:
I think it's highly unlikely that Trayvon actually would have beaten Zimmerman to death.
DrewDad wrote:
It takes a lot to actually beat someone to death. Fists are not very effective weapons.
That is false. It can happen ACCIDENTALLY, from one lucky hit.
That has already happened.
Anyway, it appears that the suspected burglar
was using the sidewalk as a deadly weapon.
He probably did not even REGISTER it with police first.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Be aware that there is a movement in Congress to make it illegal for citizens watch groups to fail to register with the state. Our Government seldom lets pass an opportunity to increase its control over us citizens, as attested by the ever expanding law books.
JTT

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

It's not false, Om. You've proven yourself to be nothing more than a practitioner of deception with your own statements.

It can happen ACCIDENTALLY, from one lucky hit
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:05 pm
@parados,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I 'd be curious, thinking: "what the hell is this??"
but I woud not expose the follower to danger, nor harm him.
I 'd not draw on him, merely for following me.
I 'd not be angry. I 'd be curious.
I 'd probably inquire into the situtation,
suspecting that he wanted travel directions, or maybe mistaken id.,
or a very remote, unlikely chance of street robbery.

David
parados wrote:
I find it funny David, that you think the chances of a street robbery are REMOTE
but Zimmerman felt the chances of Trayvon being there to commit theft were high.
I think that there r a lot fewer robberies
than burglaries, Parados.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:09 pm
@JTT,
DAVID wrote:
JTT wrote:
It's not false, Om. You've proven yourself to be nothing more than a practitioner of deception with your own statements.

It can happen ACCIDENTALLY, from one lucky hit
Please stop agreeing with me; it is embarrassing to have u on my side.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
DAVID wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Be aware that there is a movement in Congress to make it illegal for citizens watch groups to fail to register with the state. Our Government seldom lets pass an opportunity to increase its control over us citizens, as attested by the ever expanding law books.
I was referring to registering the WEAPON, the sidewalk, with the police.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Please stop agreeing with me; it is embarrassing to have u on my side.

It's hardly possible to be on your side, Om. You're perennially mistaken, wrong, incorrect or just plain stupid.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:18 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Max. I respect your engagement of people here who hold (sometimes vastly) different opinions. I think calm and open dialogue at least supports reasonable communication between people of varying backgrounds and opinions. I hope it never becomes impossible, or not worthy of attempting, to communicate.
WELL SAID !

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

I am aware, but I am also aware that gun nuts such as yourself tend to be extremely hostile to any demands from the state that citizens register anything or any activity with the police. Given this I assume that you take a dim view of the call from some in Congress to make not registering a citizens watch group with the police a crime.
JTT

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Take a deep breath, Hawk. Om was making a joke.

You cannot be this thick.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
David says:
DAVID wrote:
The difference between Originalist American Libertarians and the evil liberals, is that WE want the good guys, the victims,
to have MORE power than your representatives: evil criminals.
MontereyJack wrote:
No, David, one of the differences between liberals and conservatives
is that we don't want the bad guys to have guns and you do.
Lemme know when u convince the robbers and the murderers to obay your anti-gun laws.

Not for any fraction of a nanosecond,
will the violent criminal predators consider the merit
of giving u what u want. Guns were hand made without electric tools
nor any engineering plans even b4 Christopher Columbus was born.
Its faster n easier to make better ones now. U don 't get to decide
how the criminal predators will arm themselves.

David
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Only if you believe the story of a suspected murderer.

It's also kinda hard to beat someones head against the ground with any force, when you can't get a grip on their hair.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:37 pm
@hawkeye10,

DAVID wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
I am aware, but I am also aware that gun nuts such as yourself tend to be extremely hostile to any demands from the state that citizens register anything or any activity with the police. Given this I assume that you take a dim view of the call from some in Congress to make not registering a citizens watch group with the police a crime.
That woud be an obvious, liberal violation of the Constitution,
like ordering the Baptists or the Jews to register with the police.

David
DrewDad

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
It takes a lot to actually beat someone to death. Fists are not very effective weapons.

No wonder you're always so scared of people, what with everyone being armed with two deadly weapons at all times.

Drew(I sleep with mine under my pillow)Dad
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:44 pm
@DrewDad,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Only if you believe the story of a suspected murderer.
Yeah, as long as I am not the one who suspects him. I don't.
I think he 's OK. If watching the naborhood reduces burglary,
then its good to do. I 'm an anti-burglary kind of guy,
tho lazier than Mr. Z. I am good at being lazy because I practice so much.

DrewDad wrote:
It's also kinda hard to beat someones head against the ground with any force,
when you can't get a grip on their hair.
not if u grab his face
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That woud be an obvious, liberal violation of the Constitution,
like ordering the Baptists or the Jews to register with the police

What if the government outsourced this work....made all groups register with a NGO, one which acted as a liaison between the police and the citizens....would this still be unconstitutional? I sure hope SCOTUS would say that the government cant make an end run around the Constitution this easily.