The politics of hoodie wearing

snood

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:04 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I can also easily imagine myself, especially when I was younger and a bit more defiant, in Trayvon's shoes. If someone was following me, I certainly would stand up and demand to know what the **** was up (and a younger me would have use exactly those words).

At this point, had Zimmerman backed down, I would have let it go. If Zimmerman had shoved me I would have thrown a punch. I certainly wouldn't have beaten him to death (and most fights don't end in death). I have mellowed a bit with middle age...

But Trayvon didn't start this encounter. Him standing up to the strange guy who is following him seems perfectly rational. Him pushing the strange guy back or even throwing a punch when the strange guy won't back down are also understandable.

Zimmermans actions don't make sense. I can't imagine bring a gun to neighborhood watch when the rules explicitly say not to. I can't imagine disobeying a police dispatcher who told me to back down. I can't imagine not backing down when the person I have been following confronts.

And there is no set of circumstances where I would ever shoot an unarmed teenager who isn't involved in any crime.

It just doesn't make sense.

Finn, I am wondering. What would you have done if you were an innocent teenager out to get skittles and ice tea and some strange guy starts following you? Wouldn't you confront the bastard?

Max,
I have been heartened to read your offerings to this thread. I find that your words convey a rational, compassionate and independent thinker of a person.

I can't help but wonder though, why it is that you keep attempting to engage Finn and even David on some common ground with this (or any) case. They have proven over and over to be irredeemably reprobate in matters of race and equal justice under the law - at least David is disengaged from reality enough so that we can maybe excuse him on the grounds of clinical madness; Finn's much worse because he's probably sane but his amoral adrift state is complicated by all his pretense of being intellectual. A braying ass and a worldly dick.

You can't really hope to find common sense or common decency in their replies. You can't actually expect to be enlightened by anything they have to say about this tragic killing of a 17 year old black kid.

So why do you bother?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:12 pm
@snood,
I think I understand the quandary.
I'm on the side of not feeding.
But I understand wanting to answer, even over and over as some here do, on this or other questions. Replies on parade, in case a newbie looks at the question/discussion. Still think of it as feed, especially re David. I've read his point of view for something like ten years. People keep responding.

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not sure who you're responding to, but it doesn't seem to be me. I clicked on the link in your post just to be sure you weren't responding to something I said a long time ago and forgot... nope.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:33 pm
@FreeDuck,
I don't know what game you're trying to play but it should be clear to anyone who accessed the links that that all but two stories took place outside of the US.

Maybe you have to actually look at the linked articles.

Philippos

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I looked at the articles and agree.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Since the comment you quoted was directed to sozobe, your reference to what FreeDuck is say is irrelevant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 11:16 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Under Florida law, Finn, Trayvon was perfectly justified in anything up to death if he felt threatened. That's the way the law is working out in actual practice there. If you don't like it, don't take us to task, tell Florida. We've been saying that all along. Bad law. That's why it's becoming known as the Kill At Will Law. It authorizes peremptory violence. Trayvon, wisely, probably felt threatened. He certainly was right to do so. So, even if he fought Zimmerman with what he had available to stop him, which might only have been fists, Florida law gave him that right.

Did he attack Zimmerman, or did Zimmerman, who as we know from the tapes was pissed that "assholes always get away" and went after Trayvon, start it? Who ran away? Who pursued him? We have only Zimmerman's word Trayvon attacked him. Considering he's been shown to be untruthful in other things he's said, considering he's had other violent encounters with the law, I don't put much faith in his veracity here.

If Trayvon broke Zimmerman's nose, why were there no marks on his hands. He was hitting something relatively tough, cartilage and bone. Skin is fragile. There should have been marks. There weren't.

And if you've ever had any experience with fights, either as participant, or onlooker, or hearing about it, you know that in probably 99% of them, both sides claim "it was the damned other guy who started it".

Sorry, Zimmerman still seems the far more likely candidate for starting the confrontation.

I'm no expert on the law, but I feel certain that you aren't either.

I find it very difficult to believe that the law allows someone to kill a person because they believe they are being followed. If it does, it's a travesty and should be overturned immediately.

We don't know all the facts and you like me are entitled to form an opinion based on what information you have read or heard.

I have tried to make three points in this discussion and one of them has been, that no matter what our opinions may be, that what we are not entitled to do, or at least should not be, is to put a bounty on his head (New Black Panthers), abuse the power of our office and propose a resolution that judges Zimmerman racially biased (Congressinal Black Caucus), distort 911 recordings in an attmept to lead the American public to believe Zimmerman is a racist (NBC) broadcast the man's address to the world (Spike Lee) and foment rage within a community (Jackon and Sharpton).

In you assumptions about Zimmerman that lead you to believe he attacked Martin first, you are foregetting that there is an eyewitness who claims she saw martin on top of Zimmerman; beating him. I haven't done exhaustive research on him but I don't believe Martin was a choir boy. If his past transgressions have nothing to do with determination of guilt, (and they shouldn't) then so do Zimmerman's.

It should not be difficult to have medical evidence that proves Zimmerman has a broken nose and lacerations on his head...or not. If such evidence appears, are you going to suggest that Zimmerman broke his own nose and cut up his own head to support his story?

Again, you are more than free to form an opinion about who is most or only at fault in this incident. I would like to think, however, that when the Special Investigator presents his report that you will be open to the idea that your opinion was wrong.

When the story about the white Duke lacrosse players and the black stripper came out many people followed their political inclination and assumed the young men were guilty of rape.

When the Tawana Bradley story came out, many people followed their political inclination and assumed the accussed white men were guilty of raping and essentially torturing a black girl.

In both very high profile cases, what the politically inclined assumed was wrong.

Unfortunately for the accused individuals, the public, media and institutional rush to judgment can only be proven wrong, not erased. They and their families went through hell and their reputions forever stained.

Stories like these have been proven true in the past which might affect your personal opinion, but I can't believe that you find that a justification for what
the wrongly accused individuals went through.

The Duke case was such an injustice that the local DA was disbarred. Perhaps I am doing you an injustice, but somehow I don't think you were railing as loudly against that injustice.

Should the evidence show that Zimmerman was guilty of a crime and he gets off scott free, I'll join you in expressing outrage. Until then, I'm only forming uncertain opinions.

It's interesting that no one seems to have noticed the story I linked to about the black man in Arizona who shot and killed a white man because he felt threatened and , most importantly, has not been arrested or charges.

I feel safe in assuming that neither you nor your like minded A2K members believe Arizona is a haven of liberal thought and tolerance and yet here we have a story (which I admittedly only stumbled upon due to FreeDuck's challenge) where the very thing you base much of your arguments (a black man in Zimmerman's postion certainly being arrested and thrown in jail for killing an unarmed white man) didn't happen.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 11:46 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
We don't actually know who initiated physical contact

No we don't, and we don't know if that physical contact was severe enough to cause someone to legitimately fear for his life.

So, by your standard, I'm free to assualt someone whom I believe is clearly following me.

Is that only the case if the person admits they were? What if they deny it, is it enough that I thought it was clear that they were following me?

What if they were indeed following me but had nothig sinister in mind. Would that matter?

You may think these questions besides the point, but you can be assured that if people are given license to assualt someone because they believe he is clearly following them, there will be incidents where they are of considerable importance.

Of course there is a difference between force and deadly force, but often what begins and is intended to be non-deadly force, becomes deadly. If you assualt someone in a way that wouldn't kill 99 out of 100 people but in one case (your case) it results in a death, is that your defense? How did I know my victim was fragile?

Again, we don't know with sufficent certainty that Martin assualted Zimmerman in a manner that Zimmerman claims, but if he did, I'm sorry, but I don't find it a horrible travesty of justice (legal or natural) that he ended up dead.

I've dealt with a number of cases where violence has led to outcomes the perpetrator probably didn't intend, but I fail to see how that matters much at all. One was a (white) father who tried to makes some uninvited kids leave his house where his daughter was having a party. He waded into the crowd swinging a baseball bat, hit one in the head and killed him. The kids weren't threatening him, just taking their time in leaving. The father swore he didn't intend to kill anyone and I'm sure he didn't. At the same time, if the kids hadn't come to a party to which they hadn't been invited, had cursed out the father, and acted like they weren't going to leave, the incident never would have happened.

These are the things that happen when you resort to violence and or you act like a punk or a thug. There was no life and death situation that required the father or the kids toact as they did. They both opened the door to a terrible fate. the kid died and the father went to jail. No injustice was involved for either of them.

Short of actual self-defense we don't allow citizens to take the law into their own hands, but not as a matter of justice, but of societal order.

I don't know if you recall the Bernard Getz case of a while back where he shot and severely injured a group of (black) kids who he says were menacing him with a screwdriver. One of the kids admitted they were trying to scare him nto giving them money but they never would have hurt him. Maybe so, but that sort of shakedown has no chance of working if your don't convince your victim that you are prepared to hurt them.

As it turned out Getz had been mugged multiple times in the past and had enough. he was riding the train with a gun, looking for thugs to try and mug him. He didn't just draw his gun as see if they would leave and he didn't just shoot one. He shot all of them and then shot at least one of them a second time when the kid was lying on the subway car floor in a poll of blood.

Society can't allow that sort of vigilantism but I never felt a bit sorry for the kids, and if he had gotten off those kids would not have been victims of injustice.

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 11:53 pm
The difference between Duke lacrosse and Tawana Brawley, Finn, is that there is absolutely no way to deny that Trayvon Martin, unarmed and out for a candy run and on his way home, was shot and killed by a self-appointed neighborhood watch guy, who was not even arrested. That is the crux of the whole thing.

And it seems likely that if so many people had not justifiably gotten so angry about it, that it would have ended right there, with no further action being taken. Florida prosecutors hate the law, because they've had surviving participants in gang wars and drug deal killings claim fear for their lives, invoke Stand Your Ground, and walk free. Here we have plain evidence an unarmed kid was killed. For Zimmerman to invoke the law and under that law be held totally immune to prosecution,simply on his own say-so, which happens under Florida's ridiculously lax standards of proof is a flat-out travesty of justice. And THAT is what has people, and me, so incensed.
If Zimmerman had a right to kill Trayvon if he felt his life was under threat, then Trayvon had exactly the same right to kill Zimmerman because he felt his life was under threat. But he didn't have a gun. If I were him, in his position, I would damn sure feel threatened. But Trayvon's dead, and it's a month later and Zimmerman is still free. That is NOT justice. And may I repeat the case of the guy in Florida, who chased a suspected (not proved) burglar a block, stabbed him and killed him, claimed he was in fear for his life, and got off? How the hell can you be in fear for your life, and chase the guy for a block before you can actually do anything to him? That's Florida "justice".
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 11:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Finn, I am wondering. What would you have done if you were an innocent teenager out to get skittles and ice tea and some strange guy starts following you? Wouldn't you confront the bastard?

Very possibly, but I really don't know.

If I thought he had a gun I sure wouldn't have.

Confronting him is one thing, breaking his nose is another.

If he shoved me I probably would have thrown the punch, hoped I broke his nose and then run like hell. I don't think I would have got on top of him and bashed his head into the street. maybe that's not what Martin did, but it's been alleged that he did.

I don't think i would engage in a full ot brawl with someone of whom I was afraid, unless it was self-defense. Being pissed off because an asshole is sterotyping you isn't justification for starting or continuing a brawl, and it's stupid, because obviously some assholes carry guns.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 11:57 pm
@sozobe,
You, and to these comments in particular:

Quote:
Even if it turns out that Trayvon did hit Zimmerman -- and I still find the evidence less than compelling there so far -- it would be in the context of this guy following him.

This wasn't a policeman, in a police car, where it was obvious where it was going on. It was some random guy following him and quite possibly up to no good, so far as Trayvon knew
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
We don't actually know who initiated physical contact

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
No we don't, and we don't know if that physical contact was severe enough
to cause someone to legitimately fear for his life.
In a sane country, our Individual rights cannot be defined by our emotions.

In MY experience with self defense, I began to defend myself,
because someone shot at me, leaving what looked like a .38 bullethole
in my driver's side window, c.3 inches in front of my face.
I did not experience fear, as I drew out my own gun, in self defense,
but I had a natural right to fight back, regardless.

It is irrational to hold that only fearful people have the right to self defense.

Find Abuzz, if someone (like Mr. Z) is getting beaten,
he cannot know beforehand what the effects of the next impact upon him will be.
He can know that thay r unpredictable
and that thay can have severe, permanent consequences.

Its always better to be tried by 12 men
than carried by 6.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:08 am
@MontereyJack,
Let's assume that you are right and that Martin had a right, under the FL statute, to kill Martin once he felt threatened, and he did so.

Would you think it an injustice if Martin wasn't arrested and charged? Do you think it's an injustice that a black man in Arizona killed an unarmed white man because he felt threatened and was not arrested or charged?

If Martin had the right to kill Zimmerman because he felt threatened by his following him, then it certainly follows that Zimmerman, once he perceived Martin was actually trying to kill him would also have the right, and arguably a clearer one, to use deadly force.

In this sort of scenario the guy who is stronger, quicker or who has the better weapon prevails. Insane, but not really a matter of injustice, if Martin could have got off too.

If the law is as flawed as you indicate, it is insane and need to be repealled.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Which is why statutes like this are usually based on the reasonable man doctrine.

Would a reasonable person feel their life was so threatened by someone following them that killing the follower was justified? I don't think so.

If you only need to say you were afraid for you life (no matter what the circumstances) to get away with killing someone, the law is insane.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:15 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I think I understand the quandary.
I'm on the side of not feeding.
But I understand wanting to answer, even over and over as some here do, on this or other questions. Replies on parade, in case a newbie looks at the question/discussion. Still think of it as feed, especially re David. I've read his point of view for something like ten years. People keep responding.
U responded well enuf to demand a free gift from me, last summer.
I sent it to u.
U got it, as per demand. WHO is "feeding" WHOM??????

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:19 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The difference between Duke lacrosse and Tawana Brawley, Finn, is that
there is absolutely no way to deny that Trayvon Martin, unarmed
Trayvon was armed with the sidewalk,
which he was employing as a weapon, as per the credible evidence.

( Almost anything is a weapon, tho some things make better weapons than others. )

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:29 am
Finn says:

Quote:
In this sort of scenario the guy who is stronger, quicker or who has the better weapon prevails. Insane

Congratulations, Finn, you've finally grasped the point I've been making all along. That's how the law IS working. As you say, insane.

that's
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:41 am
@MontereyJack,
OmSigDavid asks:
DAVID wrote:
R u a satanist ?
MontereyJack wrote:
No, David, I'm not.
C'mon, 'fess up. Will u admit that liberals worship evil ???????

MontereyJack wrote:
But if I believed in him, I'd think you were one of his most trusted disciples.
Here's another sacrifice to him, thanks to you and your multiple guns for everybody buddies.

Quote:
Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from barrage of bulletsBy Samantha Tata, NBC Los Angeles

Police are asking the public to help identify suspects involved in an Inglewood shooting
that left a 28-year-old father dead after he shielded his 8-year-old son from the barrage of bullets.
I guess that U prefer boms; how do u feel about Molotov Cocktails ?????

MontereyJack wrote:
Fredrick Martin and his son, Tre, were in front of their garage Tuesday night when gunfire broke out, police said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When he heard the shots, the man pushed his son to the ground and covered him with his body. Martin suffered gunshot wounds to his abdomen and upper torso and later died at the hospital.

'Ultimate sacrifice'
"The investigation is not going well," Lt. James Madia with Inglewood police said, adding that detectives are working on a few conflicting descriptions of the possible suspects and their cars.

Advertise | AdChoicesMartin’s son, who shared a home with his father, mother and grandmother, suffered only a minor graze wound, Madia said.

Martin's wife Amanda is five months pregnant, according to a family friend.

About two dozen friends and family mourned Martin near his home Friday night.

"We know that there was an ultimate sacrifice made on the other night," one said during a prayer.

MontereyJack wrote:
Way to go, David. How many more people will die because of your gun obsession?
None; there was never a question concerning whether predatory criminals
will be armed well enuf to execute their depredations.
EVERY PREDATORY EVENTY IS A CONTEST OF POWER.
THE VICTIM SHUD BE MORE POWERFUL THAN HIS PREDATOR.

Then the good guy wins; the bad guy loses. Tha t's good and David is happy.
The difference between Originalist American Libertarians and the evil liberals, is that WE want the good guys, the victims,
to have MORE power than your representatives: evil criminals.
I want GOOD to win,
whereas u want evil to win. That is the reason that u support gun control, to degrade good.

MontereyJack wrote:
Satanist is definitely appropriate.
I figured that u approve of evil.
That well defines a liberal.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:42 am
And under the Florida law, David, Trayvon could use anything that came to hand to stop what he felt in his own judgement alone, which under Florida law he cannot be held liable for, to eliminate any threat to his own life.

And given the circumstances, who had tried to avoid confrontation, who clearly had no intention of getting into a fight, who against advice forced a confrontation, who came into it with a weapon which was invented particularly for killing, who came in pissed at "the assholes always get away" and then chased one who "got away" but had done nothing wrong, who apparently didn't answer a question about why he was following someone who'd avoided him, and then immediately, according to Trayvon's girlfriend who heard it, was immediately involved in a struggle, a reasonable person would conclude that it was probably Zimmerman who started it. You of course are not reasonable, but only, always, refuse to countenance the possibility that there could ever be a fatally mistaken killing by the shooter under such circumstances. You only, ever, distort and cherrypick the evidence and invent scenarios that have no basis in fact, to try to exonerate the shooter. that ain't law, that's personal obsession, David.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:46 am
Oh, and yeah, Finn, if Trayvon had killed Zimmerman rather than the other way round, I'd definitely want him to be arrested and the case investigated. Of course, under the Florida law, he'd walk too in those circumstances. Which is why the law fatally sucks, and it should be stricken down in Florida and the other states that passed it or consider it, and every corporation that funds ALEC should immediately cut off their funding, and all the ALEC staffers should simultaneously contract cases of drug-resistant crabs. Shingles too.
0 Replies