"No Man's Land"

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:50 pm
Wasn't able to catch last year's Oscar winner for Foreign Film in the theaters but I did see it this week on IFC and I can recommend it to anyone who enjoys black comedy that contains a profound denouncement of war to boot (no euphemism intended). Here's a link to the IMDB page:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0283509

and Roger Ebert's review:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2001/12/122104.html

It's playing all this month on IFC so look for the programming on their site.

Independent Film Channel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,449 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jeanbean

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 04:34 pm
LW,
I clicked on 2 links, the first one worked, but the 3rd one was unrelated(?).You try it.
I problem with foreign films is, I read too slowly to understand the dialoque.And I can't stand dubbed-films.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 04:35 pm
dialog
!!!!!!!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 04:44 pm
I saw it when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pleased to see it in the final five for the oscar. but if my memory serves me, it was not my first choice. I can't recall what the competition was. Not only did it ridicule war, but also the military, the press, and the U.N.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 05:08 pm
I really liked this one. It didn't have the feel of a film (nor a documentary) but was very interesting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:40 pm
I can't believe it - I was just thinking about that film before I checked in here! This when I actually saw it many months ago.

I was - believe it or not -trying to figure out how that mine might have been disarmed......

'Twas a very good film - I can still see the wonderful faces of the actors, especially the main character's....and the UN folk being called "smurfs" - I guess that is exactly how they felt too, poor darlin's - the troops on the ground at least....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:46 pm
I have yet to see the film but have heard very good things about it from people who have seen it. I'll try to catch it before I make any embarrasing comments.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:26 pm
Lightwizard<

It's peanut gallery time for me once more. I have never seen No Man's Land. I will see it at some point based on Ebert's recommendation and those of Able2Noahs commenting here.

Thanks for including me in the discussion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:54 am
I fixed the IFC (Ind. Film Channel) link -- the "What's On" on the top tool bar will take you to the schedule/search.

Yes, it is sub-titled which doesn't bother me any more than reading a book but I guess it is distracting for some that haven't gotten used to it.

I found it compelling while still maining a sardonic sense of humor with the beauracracy of the military, the pushy reporter, the well meaning UN lower echelon, and the conflicted but curiously sympathetic soldiers on both sides of the civil war.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:13 pm
A damn good film. Maybe the best black comedy I've seen in a few years. Also, a good satire on the press. It helps to know some bsckground on the Bosnian war, but it is not mandatory. I would recommend this film to anyone who can appreciate a foreign film with (gasp!) subtitles.
0 Replies