How will computers evolve

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 01:14 pm
http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBPa2r6B7uFbtB8fU$mNsjAeoyO/[email protected]

One way in which I am certain they will not evolve—since computer programmers are savants who can neither read nor write above a 2d-grade level—that text editing subroutines will not have advanced

http://able2know.org/topic/186148-1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,474 • Replies: 19
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:31 pm
What the hell is this crap about?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:50 pm
@dalehileman,
Did you have a question, or a point you wanted to discuss? I'm not sure what you're asking for.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:07 pm
@rosborne979,
I suppose I could rephrase by asking if computers evolve will their editing capability also evolve
dalehileman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 10:40 am
@dalehileman,
I am rapidly concluding that I’m virtually the only user in the English-speaking world who deplores the state of Internet text-editing where for instance “isd” isn’t recognized as a misspelling of “is” owing to the proximity of the “s” and “d” and its total inability to suggest corrections in a hyphen-couple such as "hylhen-coiple”

Or it might be that most everyone else are more proficient typists therefore seldom requiring edit function
rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 05:31 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I am rapidly concluding that I’m virtually the only user in the English-speaking world who deplores the state of Internet text-editing
That appears to be the case.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 07:06 pm
@dalehileman,
Of course, isd could also be a misspelling of "id" for the same reason.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 09:38 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Of course, isd could also be a misspelling of "id" for the same reason.
Indeed and therefore “id” should also be one of the choices that Mac presents us
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 10:49 am
@rosborne979,
Ros you seem a bit dubious. For a classic example of today’s Internet editing capability please see

http://able2know.org/topic/193574-1#post-5040054
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 10:51 am
@contrex,
Quote:
What the hell is this crap about?
Today’s Internet text-editing subroutines

Please see link above, as well as

http://able2know.org/topic/193031-1

http://able2know.org/topic/186148-1

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 10:54 am
Why the hell should a spelling correction routine be obliged to figure out what you meant? All it needs to do is tag what it doesn't recognize and let you decide what you want to do. The English spell the name of a village in Picardy Agincourt. The French spell it Azincourt, and always have. I don't want some idiot computer making decisions for me about things like that. What do you think such a program should do with color/colour, honor/honour, center/centre? Do you really need a program to hold your hand for you?

All you ever do around here is complain that the world doesn't do for you the things you are apparently too damned lazy to do for yourself. You're the biggest whining wanker i've ever seen here.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 11:02 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Why the hell should a spelling correction routine be obliged to figure out what you meant?
That’s in fact what they’re supposed to do

Quote:
All it needs to do is tag what it doesn't recognize and let you decide what you want to do.
In that case Set why would it offer corrections

Quote:
......I don't want some idiot computer making decisions for me about things like that.
It’s not the PC that’s the idiot, it’s the programmer who wrote the edit routine

Quote:
What do you think such a program should do with color/colour, honor/honour, center/centre?
Obviously, let them alone as they’re not misspellings

Quote:
Do you really need a program to hold your hand for you?
That’s what they’re supposed to do

Quote:
All you ever do around here is complain that the world doesn't do for you the things you are apparently too damned lazy to do for yourself.
Yes I’m truly a bad person, totally unreasonable in my demands of the outside world, lazy as hell

Quote:
You're the biggest whining wanker i've ever seen here.
Then don’t feel obliged to read my postings, I won’t be at all offended
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 11:14 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Then don’t feel obliged to read my postings, I won’t be at all offended
Most respectfully:
note that is a run-on sentence.

David
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 11:15 am
@dalehileman,
In the mid-1970s, when word processors first came into being, all the spelling programs would do is tag what was not recognized. Who says they should do anything else? You? The most brilliant programmer in the world is not going to be able to anticipate what people may mean when they write something which is not covered in a spell checking routine. Programs are not supposed to hold your hand for you. You can bet whenever i see you whining here, i'm likely to comment on it.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 11:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
note that is a run-on sentence.
Om My God Dave, it is, isn’t it
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
In the mid-1970s, when word processors first came into being, all the spelling programs would do is tag what was not recognized.
Doubtless true

Quote:
Who says they should do anything else? You?
Sure why not

Quote:
The most brilliant programmer in the world is not going to be able to anticipate what people may mean when they write something which is not covered in a spell checking routine.
That’s because he’d have to be able to speak English and type. It doesn’t require a very high IQ to recognize “isd” as a misspelling of “is”, and just a whole lot more likely than “is d” and much moreso than “ids"

Quote:
Programs are not supposed to hold your hand for you.
Why not

Quote:
You can bet whenever i see you whining here, i'm likely to comment on it.
Okay be please don’t feel obliged
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Okay be please don’t feel obliged

What is that supposed to mean when it's written in English? You expect a computer program to deal with the drivel you type? I'll tell ya what, why don't you expect in one hand and **** in the other, then see which one fills up first.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 01:31 pm
@Setanta,
"Okay be please don’t feel obliged"

Quote:
What is that supposed to mean when it's written in English?
It means don’t feel you have to

Quote:
You expect a computer program to deal with the drivel you type?
Sure why not

Quote:
I'll tell ya what, why don't you expect in one hand

http://onelook.com/?w=expect&ls=a

please see post #678 of

http://able2know.org/topic/193126-1

........for comment regarding identification of an abbreviation which spells another word

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I'll tell ya what, why don't you expect in one hand and **** in the other, then see which one fills up first.

I use this phrase a lot when my kids want stuff...
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 04:05 pm
@McGentrix,
Aha Mac, now I understand Set’s
Quote:
why don't you expect in one hand and **** in the other,
. He really meant expect—whereas I had assumed it was the abbreviation for “expectorate” so he was inviting me to spit in one hand and defecate in the other
0 Replies