Why are people complaining about gas prices?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Have you tried eau de vie?
Irishk

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:07 pm
The higher prices have definitely affected the outreach program for which I volunteer. We use our personal vehicles and, of course, personally pay the fuel tab. I know from contacts that it's not just my chapter, but many across the country are feeling the same pinch and losing volunteers who just can't afford to continue.

I plan to stick with it, but it does mean that there will probably be fewer donations to other charities that I've enjoyed supporting.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:09 pm
@Baldimo,
if the oil companies and haliburton had not cut corners to boost profits, none of this would matter...

I'm good with it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:10 pm
@izzythepush,
What's eau de vie?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's French spirit made from distilled fruit, it's rather more-ish. I particularly like the strawberry. This is one of the best producers, I don't know if you can get it in America.

http://static3.wine-searcher.net/images/labels/29/46/g-miclo-poire-william-eau-de-vie-grande-reserve-france-10312946.jpg

This is pear, it's a little bit like Calvados, each Eau de vie has a delicious aftertaste of the fruit it's distilled from.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you for proving the point from my first post. Since they have had these permits/licenses for decades that means that Obama has had nothing to do with oil production. He is taking credit for something he didn't do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:21 pm
@Baldimo,
As I've said, the keystone pipeline will not reduce prices in the US.

Quote:
Key Facts on Keystone XL
Energy Security: Tar Sand will not Reduce Dependence on Foreign OilKeystone XL will not lessen U.S. dependence on foreign oil, but transport Canadian oil to American refineries for export to overseas markets.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:25 pm
@Baldimo,
Wrong: Those same permits existed under GW Bush, and oil production and permits increased after GW Bush's tenure.

Try to wrap your brain around the following article - if that's possible. I know conservatives live on lies and innuendos learned from FOX News and the GOP candidates now running for office.

http://www.politicususa.com/obama-oil-production/
Baldimo

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your still proving my point. Permits and new wells do not take into account the amount of time it takes to build the rigs and transport systems for the oil drilled. You know as well as I do that Bush can't get credit for any wells that came online in 2001-2003 because of the time involved. Any wells coming online that early in his term would have been approved and construction started during the Clinton years, so Bush shouldn't be credited with these wells. Bush could claim credit for wells that were approved during the late part of his first term that came online during his 2nd term.

Obama can't claim any wells that came online during the 1st 2 years of his service since he wasn't even in office when they were approved. As for any wells in the 3rd and 4th years of his term it is possible that his admin approved them. Its a tough sell due to the amount of time involved with construction and enviromental impact studies. Its possible but doubtful.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm not complaining about gas prices as I don't have a car to buy gas for. AND I am going to Trader Joes wine shop in a half an hour to buy 4 or 5 bottles of wine.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 04:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
You seem to living a comfortable lifestyle; that's what counts.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:15 pm
Gas in my city fluctuates from $1.09 - $1.15/litre, and I'm in Alberta, the oil-gas rich province. In Vancouver, where the city taxes you to death, it's $147 - $157. At the moment. They add a 'green' tax to gas because they want you to take the bus. Don't get me started on that - I used to bus but no more.

I work a 5 min drive from where I live and I can't carpool because I work odd hours. I will combine the trip, though, with errands. But when you think about it, I have a maybe 40 litre tank, so if it goes up 10 cents a litre, that's $4.00. Not a big deal. From when I bought the car, though, the price of gas has more than doubled. It used to take me $27 to fill it up; now it's over $70. But hey, other things have gone up, too (property taxes, for example).
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:08 pm
@Mame,
You're paying close to what we pay in Silicon Valley, but California gas is known to be a bit more expensive than the rest of the country. Even in the high city tax areas, $5.59/gallon is higher than any in the US, but cheaper than most places in Europe.

Demand for gas has been dropping in the US, because many families just can't afford the $4/gallon. Demand will continue to drop as the price continues to increase. It's a surprising phenomenon for me to see, because I travel frequently - especially to Europe, and find cars being used for almost everything, and they pay upwards of $9/gallon.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
People with little money seem often to miraculously have funds to spend on cigarettes and beer.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I also remember some time ago when people complained about people on food stamps buying a better grade of meat and other items than those who were working.
0 Replies

Elanet

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 03:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's too expensive for use a car.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:52 am
@Elanet,
That's the reason why many use public transportation. It's not as convenient, and it takes more time to go from point A to point B, but it's the most economical way to travel. Public transportation ridership is up in the San Francisco Bay Area.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:56 am
@Phoenix32890,
And to attend sports events. Some of those ticket prices are atrocious!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:37 pm
oh my god! look!
gas prices are going up.... Must be election time. Confused
silly americans fall for that every election year.

a small hike in gas prices causes people to squeal and scream . Then comes along the predetermined new president waving the " im gonna drop gas prices because I want YOU to get rich!" flag and everyone votes... and voila. Elected.
Then it drops about 1.50 and everyone shuts up..

until next election..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:39 pm
people SHOULD scream about gas prices.... ALL the TIME.

why?

because car companies are fully aware of HOW TO make gas efficient vehicles. But so long as people are still buying into the ego stroking vehicles like the 'prius' ... why bother.
Make americans feel they are superior for something and they will spend 20K on it. MUUUUUUCCH more than an efficient vehicle would cost..