Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:37 am
@aidan,
You can't handle the truth! Quote from Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"

It's an attempt at more humor
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:42 am
@Ragman,
Is it the truth then per capita?
What I can't stomach is pre-packaged trite propaganda masquerading as truth.
I'm not saying it's NOT the truth - I'm asking.
How the **** do you know what I can handle?
Get over yourself Ragman.

And Bear - since I happen to be in America - in Arizona - I'm gonna have again today what I had yesterday to precipitate my daily bowel cleansing - a nice bean tamale with two fried eggs and homefries and a big old glass of iced tea. Only in America - (or Mexico).

Parados - my body and head fat are within healthy limits. Yours?
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:44 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
You can't handle the truth! Quote from Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"

It's an attempt at more humor

Oh, I didn't know that - not to be mean - but you might want to try again.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:46 am
@aidan,
I don't pretend to know you. You see my style is generally to be humorous as specially when someone astarts taking things or themeselves too seriously. I've been on A2K almsot 10 yrs and I enjoy making a joke about the comment and it's not intended to be at your expense. Why not lighten up a tad? You really are displaying someone who doesn't have a sense of humor and it's tedious.

Now I'm really sorry I participated. Won't happen again.
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:48 am
@Ragman,
Huh?

I thought the thing about the Dunkin Donuts was funny!

parados

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:50 am
@aidan,
Quote:

Are you asking me my McDonalds quotient?
I'm about four 1/4 pounders light of a pound.

You might want to get your happy meal quotient checked. I think you are well below the recommended daily allowance.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:51 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Huh?

I thought the thing about the Dunkin Donuts was funny!

Only if you aren't a policeman!!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:53 am
@parados,
Quote:
Then go look for the truth.

Don't expect to find it in humor since the purpose of humor is not to highlight truth even though it can use some truths. If humor isn't important to you then you should figure out what humor is so you don't obsess over it when you confuse it with "truthiness".

Yeah well, I could have found the truth quite quickly and easily if whoever posted this had answered the question I asked to say either 'Yes' or 'No' instead of you all turning it into a harangue about what I do or do not think is funny.

But yeah - I guess instead of going out for my tamale and my subsequent **** I can spend this 83 degree day in beautiful Arizona researching on the internet - NOT!
Give me a break. Don't try to tell me what I have to find funny. And I've been told by people who know these things that I have a very good and active chuckle muscle.
Check your own.
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:55 am
@aidan,
World Prisoner Statistics

"The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Indeed, the United States leads the world in producing prisoners, a reflection of a relatively recent and now entirely distinctive American approach to crime and punishment. Americans are locked up for crimes — from writing bad checks to using drugs — that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries. And in particular they are kept incarcerated far longer than prisoners in other nations.

Criminologists and legal scholars in other industrialized nations say they are mystified and appalled by the number and length of American prison sentences.

The United States has, for instance, 2.3 million criminals behind bars, more than any other nation, according to data maintained by the International Center for Prison Studies at King's College London.

China, which is four times more populous than the United States, is a distant second, with 1.6 million people in prison. (That number excludes hundreds of thousands of people held in administrative detention, most of them in China's extrajudicial system of re-education through labor, which often singles out political activists who have not committed crimes.)

San Marino, with a population of about 30,000, is at the end of the long list of 218 countries compiled by the center. It has a single prisoner.

The United States comes in first, too, on a more meaningful list from the prison studies center, the one ranked in order of the incarceration rates. It has 751 people in prison or jail for every 100,000 in population. (If you count only adults, one in 100 Americans is locked up.)

The only other major industrialized nation that even comes close is Russia, with 627 prisoners for every 100,000 people. The others have much lower rates. England's rate is 151; Germany's is 88; and Japan's is 63.

The median among all nations is about 125, roughly a sixth of the American rate."
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:01 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Is it the truth then per capita?
What I can't stomach is pre-packaged trite propaganda masquerading as truth.
I'm not saying it's NOT the truth - I'm asking.
How the **** do you know what I can handle?
Get over yourself Ragman.

And Bear - since I happen to be in America - in Arizona - I'm gonna have again today what I had yesterday to precipitate my daily bowel cleansing - a nice bean tamale with two fried eggs and homefries and a big old glass of iced tea. Only in America - (or Mexico).

So let's see... you've been around here awhile.... and you think I posted this as a statement of truth in some sort of serious manner? You're shitting me, right?
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:04 am
@Ragman,
Right, well I started my research as it's only 7:00 am here, but in England where I live it's 3:00 pm, so essentially I'm waking up at 3:00 am here - anyway - what I read said that alot of these statistics are misleading due to the fact that rates of reporting crimes, including robbery, theft, rape, and even murder. are higher in the US than in many other countries where these activities and realities are seen more as fact of daily life and not reported, prosecuted and/or resulting in convictions and incarcerations.

As I said, - it's layered and not that simple.
Sorry to get all serious on you all - but Ragman started it (in the above post).
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:08 am
@aidan,
OMG! I started it? Rolling Eyes
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:09 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I'm just interested in my own education. I like to know what I'm talking about. I like to know how to analyze what I read accurately.
I have no idea what your agenda is or isn't in terms of portrayals of America in relation to the rest of the world.
And I'm not shitting you on that point.
parados

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:10 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I like to know what I'm talking about.

Well... you missed out on that one.
parados

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:11 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

OMG! I started it? Rolling Eyes

Ragman's #1!
Ragman's #1!
Ragman's #1!
Ragman's #1!
Ragman's #1!
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:11 am
@Ragman,

Quote:
OMG! I started it?

I was joking. That was a joke!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:15 am
@parados,

Quote:
Well... you missed out on that one.
For the moment, yeah - and all because one person couldn't say, 'Yes, it's per capita' or 'No, it's not per capita.

But don't you worry - I'll get it figured out- at some point - if I don't forget to care about it because it's such a beautiful day.

Are you STILL taking the piss Parados? You've been on that toilet an awful long time.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:21 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I'm just interested in my own education. I like to know what I'm talking about. I like to know how to analyze what I read accurately.
I have no idea what your agenda is or isn't in terms of portrayals of America in relation to the rest of the world.
And I'm not shitting you on that point.

then there's your problem.... you don't pay attention... but , just to play along... here's your answer. I have no ******* idea if it's based on per capita or not because it was a ******* joke post. It may or may not have been funny to anyone but it's goddam sure not funny at all when you have to explain it. Laughing
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:28 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Hey, I did supply some research about world's prisoner population per capita but not a single person even commented on it. That is a crime against my
hu-MAN-a-tee. BTW, I live in Manatee county!
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:31 am
@parados,
Thank you.
One is the loneliest number you'll ever do!
0 Replies