Al Qaida gunman under siege in Toulouse

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:37 am
I don't know if you've heard about this, but France has been rocked by a series of driveby shootings on a scooter. The first was three North African soldiers, then three children and a rabbi at a Jewish school.

There was lots os speculation on who did it. At first people thought it was the far right, and some ex-soldiers who were kicked out for displaying the swastika were shown on TV as the prime suspects. People also thought it might be animal rights extremists, as there has been a lot about ritual slaughter of animals by the Jewish and Moslem communities during the Presidential elections. However, it turns out to be Al Qaida, the gunman is heavily armed, and under siege as I write this.

saab

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:50 am
@izzythepush,
He is 23 years old and French citizen with Algerian background.
His name Mohammed Merah.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:21 pm
@saab,
I was in a hurry when I wrote it, so didn't bother posting any links. Thanks for the extra information.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Just catching up with this, yikes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/world/europe/toulouse-shootings-suspects-house-raided-by-french-police.html
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:37 pm
@sozobe,
I heard on the news he was arrested in Afghanistan, and the Americans put him on the first plane to France. If that's true, expect to hear a lot more about it during the electioneering.
dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 02:17 pm
@izzythepush,
I read that he escaped from prison in Kandalar in a mass break out.

More likely Kandahar?

The whole, awful saga has been big news here.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 02:59 pm
@dlowan,
To be honest I thought someone would have started a thread about a week ago when the soldiers were killed. It's fairly big over here to, second only to the budget, and Patrice Muamba.
djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
seems to be big news in Canada too, not surprised the US is largely ignoring it, they probably think the French deserve it
dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Generally, threads about non-US current events don't get much interest.

I don't bother starting them any more.

Not that I'm suggesting you don't. Sometimes they get a run.

Is there any news about the siege being over?

I've been haunted by the Jewish School killings.

The terrorist is right about some stuff though....nobody in the west seems to give much of a tuppenny **** about the kids being killed in Palestine and Afghnaistan etc.
dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:25 pm
@djjd62,
Do we know it hasn't been big news in the US though? I'd have thought it'd be reported pretty strongly by places like CNN.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:25 pm
@djjd62,
What an odd thing to say
thack45

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:29 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
TOULOUSE, France (AP) — The Interior Minister says a holed-up suspect wanted for shooting seven people dead plans to turn himself in to French police surrounding him at night "to be more discreet."

Claude Gueant told France-2 TV that the suspect, Mohamed Merah, appeared to have acted alone in the killings — but also claimed to authorities that he met al-Qaida "chiefs" while traveling in Pakistan last year.

As night fell in France, the standoff moved into its 17th hour. Three police were wounded as they tried to arrest the 24-year-old Frenchman of Algerian descent during a raid around 3 a.m. the previous night.

Prosecutors have said Merah was a self-taught radical Salafi who had been to Afghanistan twice and had trained in the Pakistani militant stronghold of Waziristan.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/holed-french-suspect-plans-nighttime-surrender-194336761.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.lang=en-us
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Now, Patrice Muamba I hadn't heard of!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:37 pm
I've been following it, just haven't started a thread.

Not sure where I first heard about the soldier episodes - one of the u.s. newspapers I read, or Guardian, or Reuters.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 04:31 pm
@thack45,
it was meant tongue in cheek

sort of
thack45

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 05:20 pm
@djjd62,
I figured that was the case, and assuming the joke was that the US thinks that France deserves it -- it is funny.

beyond that, i don't really get the (much broader than your post) that the US (media, really) should be any more concerned about shootings in some other country than some other country should be about shootings in the US. this **** happens.
dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 05:42 pm
@thack45,
If there are terror shootings in the US it will be all over the media....as indeed, this case has been in our papers.

I think the point is that, rightly or wrongly, the US has a reputation for being very insular and ill informed about the rest of the world.

There have been many discussions here about the dynamics and geography of how much people in one country will care about events in another country, and I accept they exist and are pretty general...however they are still pretty brutal when you think about them.

I give a hell of a damn about these events in France, for many reasons.
thack45

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 06:49 pm
@dlowan,
This is complicated... *

1) What does the US have to do with what media in other countries decide is "news"?

2) Were these shootings "terror shootings" just because the shooter has ties to al quaida? When some dickbag shoots up a school, is that a terror shooting? Is there a difference? I don't see one, though that certainly doesn't mean any media group would agree with me (for reasons which stink of obviousness to me).

3) When I say "this **** happens", I don't mean to diminish such acts. It's just that this **** happens. Everywhere. Whether we hear about it or not. I wouldn't be the least bothered if people in somolia didn't concern themselves with shootings in the US.

*none of the preceding post was intended with an a-hole tone.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 07:17 pm
I don't know about the rest of America but, I've been riveted by this story.

Joe(he was another ******* religious nut)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 07:25 pm
@thack45,
Not complicated. It's just a value thing, I guess.

I take the view that we are a human community of poor, bare, forked animals who should give a damn about each other, no matter what country the other happens to be in and I prize more highly those who do give a damn.

You appear to have different values.

Shrugs.

I mean terror shootings because they are clearly meant as acts of terror.

Want to argue about whether 9/11 was a terror act?

There is a pretty clear definition of terror, you know.

One article is suggesting that this is likely to become a popular form of terror because the targets are soft and readily available.

0 Replies