Al Qaida gunman under siege in Toulouse

JTT

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:43 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
My empathy is for those that died, and their respective families.

But you can't bring yourself to feel any empathy for the millions slaughtered in Iraq and Afghanistan and their families, Foofie. I wonder why.
Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
My empathy is for those that died, and their respective families.

But you can't bring yourself to feel any empathy for the millions slaughtered in Iraq and Afghanistan and their families, Foofie. I wonder why.

You do not know my feelings, you only have a perception of my politics. The two can be mutually exclusive. Pointing out my supposed feelings is no argument to make a point. It is just an adhominem, that adds nothing to your position.
Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:47 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I know more about France than you do. Adding 'in my opinion' to the end of everything is pointless, it's fairly obvious it's my opinion.

I was merely pointing out it was a pity that the gunman couldn't have been caught alive, I wasn't criticising the Fench police for not doing so, because it was fairly obvious he wanted to go out with all guns blazing.

If one does not add, "in my opinion" then a reader might believe that the poster is claiming that his/her opinion is objective fact.

And, in your second paragraph above, you cannot claim it is a "pity." One cannot ascribe an emotion to an event. Many people emote differently. Emotions are always subjective.

One can only claim that in one's opinion it is a pity. Also, nothing is "fairly obvious," unless one was involved in all communications during the standoff.

If one posts in colloquial speech, then one might not be making a cogent argument, other than an appeal to emotions that are popular for a situation.

It is very elementary Watson.
JTT

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 08:22 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
You do not know my feelings, you only have a perception of my politics. The two can be mutually exclusive.

They could be, but they aren't. Your posts have confirmed that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 02:37 am
@Foofie,
You may have problem distinguishing facts from opinion, but a lot of people don't. I'm not going to dumb my posts down for your benefit.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 05:23 am
@izzythepush,

Quote:
I don't know about French law,

Quote:
I know more about France than you do.
Except of course for law; which makes 90% of your statements in this thread a waste.

As to whether you really know more about France than another, that, is subjective. Speculatory.
0 Replies