Is it fair to give not common cleaning chore to teen?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 06:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Similar with me. Well, I worked the day I was legal and then close to forever, including all through the school years. Took one or two 2-week vacations and mostly 5-day type vacations until I went wacko and took a month to go to Italy at age 48. And I've never shut up about that since - ; ) Delayed travel ain't all a bad thing, makes one appreciate it.

Anyway, I remember being a teen and harboring various resentments, so I'm not completely appalled. Gads, I was sick of my mother and aunt, and was close to never so happy as when I went off on a filming trip with my dad and four men. My view has gotten a little rounder since then.

<enjoying the thread>
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:08 am
Growing up I had chores for as long as I can remember and I had to fulfill those responsibilities every week and when I did that’s when I received my allowance for the week.

I think Structure is very important, Antonio is only six years old and he has chores, relatively small ones, like keeping his room clean and taking care of his little doggie but he does it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:51 am
@jcboy,
Taking care of little doggies can be fun.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:16 am
Takin care of little doggies' little poos is not generally considered fun. It is, however, good training for the future
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 03:39 pm
@MontereyJack,
Maybe yours; not mine.

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:08 am
There were five kids in my family. Everyone was expected to do things everyday to help out. If the big sister was setting the table, the five year old could hold the silverware in his (clean) hands until she needed it.
Garbage needed to taken out? Trash taken to the bin? Dishes washed after dinner and before homework? Done, done and done.
Nobody told any of the us that we needed to get a job to make money to go to camp in the summer, we just got jobs or collected bottles (I was SO happy when they announced that bottle deposits were being raised from 1 cent to 2 cents!! I only needed fifty bottles to get a dollar!) (Camp was $300.00 a week)
My brothers and I had paper routes, we picked strawberries, tomatoes and worked in the tobacco fields as soon as we turned 15. My brother, the priest, was a BW (bumper wiper) down at the local carwash, I worked nights and weekends at the donut shop (Bess Eaton...are they still around?) My sisters worked tobacco, babysat kids and like the rest of us, did every Scout paper drive, sandwich sale, bake sale, and door to door "great items for your gift-giving needs" (Mine was the Tom Thumb kit-- candles, ladles, cards, giftwrap and tulip bulbs.)
All of us worked for some large grocery store at one time or another, me in the produce, B in the deli and the girls had competitions to see who was the fastest cashier on earth. (It was A, sorry M.E......)
My father was a sheet metal man in the experimental division of Hamilton Standard, my mother was a 11pm to 7AM pediatric nurse. All five of us went to the college, partly paid by the cash we put in the bank every week from the time we were seven, partly paid by the "extra" cash my mother kept sidelined away from the money needed to run the house, and partly (some of us - mostly) paid by the scholarships we earned at school while somehow working every blessed minute of our lives.
We never felt put upon or deprived of freedom, we always felt the others at school were missing out because they didn't have jobs and had to (horrors) depend on their parents for gas money or cash to go to a movie.
Who would want to have to do that?

Joe(not those kids from Newman Street)Nation
saab

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:45 am
@Joe Nation,
Bet all of you grew up to be decent and helpful people.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:48 am
Oh, I'd say exactly yours, David. Shovelling **** certainly is precisely what lawyers are paid so lavishly to do. It's why the profession is held in such universally high esteem. Thank you for providing such a perfect straight line.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:58 am
@saab,
yep.
We all turned out pretty shiny and we all love one another.

Joe(all of our kids are pretty shiny too)Nation
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:30 am
@MontereyJack,
That’s true, taking care of a little puppy isn’t much fun. Cleaning up after him is a chore, Antonio doesn’t like it but he knows its his doggie and his responsibility to take care of him.
0 Replies