Melbourne: "best city in the world"!! WHICH world!!

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
and of course sydney has this over melbourne.

the step dad should have the same done to him, don't know what to think about the mother...
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:02 pm
this story is just weird, i especially enjoyed this part

Corrections Victoria workplace policy prohibits guards from having personal relationships with inmates or former prisoners - a rule that Ms Jantzen disagrees with.

"Their policy needs to be looked at," she said.

"Something so innocent has been blown out of proportion."
Confused
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 03:50 pm
and don't forget the stoned pets of oz Shocked
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 05:47 pm
When I was in high school, we used to hot-box my buddy's dachsund, and one of my dogs ate herself a doobie once. No big deal for either dog. Can I be an Aussie now?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:12 pm
No, I don't think so. :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:19 pm
Something that's been overlooked here is Melbourne's "gangster war". It's an important feature of life here at the moment Shocked Confused Surprised .... Our criminals have been busy killing each other off all over the city! In cafes, in the streets, gambling venues .... Seems the old crims are being challenged by the young bloods about whose in charge here! Rolling Eyes Makes for rivetting reading, following all this ....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:23 pm
And how many cities have such colourful street names? Just Madrid & Melbourne! Laughing :

City council supports ACDC Lane tribute
By Martin Boulton
July 9, 2004

Corporation Lane in Melbourne's central business district will be renamed ACDC Lane as a tribute to Australia's most successful band.

Melbourne City Council last night supported the name change in a move aimed at recognising the role of music and popular culture in shaping the city. A council report said AC/DC had "strong links with Melbourne", including the 1975 film clip It's a Long Way to the Top, which the band performed on a flatbed truck travelling down Swanston Street.

Since forming in late 1973, AC/DC has sold more than 140 million albums worldwide and already has a street - Calle AC/DC in Madrid - named in their honour.

The council unanimously supported the recommendation and will investigate renaming more laneways in recognition of other worthy recipients.

Speaking from his home in England this week, AC/DC's guitarist, Angus Young, told The Age he was thrilled with the plan. "Melbourne was our stomping ground in the early years... they were the fun-packed days," he said.

`
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:28 pm
"highway to hell" would be a better choice
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:34 pm
Yeah, pueo? Ya wanna say that in Melbourne, hmmmmmm? :wink:
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:44 pm
sure, wanna send me a ticket?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:51 pm
Think carefully before any reckless utterances about Melbourne, pueo! Refer back to my "gangster" post here. Still cocky, hmmmm? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:00 pm
Right, like AC/DC could actually remember where they have been!! And MS-O many folks may find the sight of dead mobsters lying around the streets a trifle disturbing... here in Sydney we keep such matters in back-alleys and rely on the active shark life of the harbour and our glorious oceans to avoid bothering tourists.

Sheesh, you mob have a lot to learn.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:07 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
.... And MS-O many folks may find the sight of dead mobsters lying around the streets a trifle disturbing... here in Sydney we keep such matters in back-alleys and rely on the active shark life of the harbour and our glorious oceans to avoid bothering tourists.

Sheesh, you mob have a lot to learn.

We've found these things to be a tourist attraction! Some enterprising soul actually runs a tour of the gangster hot spots! Idea (True!)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:24 pm
.....and if they get robbed? Would they have a legitimate reason to complain about it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:50 pm
Very Happy I like that idea! Can just picture it. Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
msolga wrote:
Something that's been overlooked here is Melbourne's "gangster war". It's an important feature of life here at the moment Shocked Confused Surprised .... Our criminals have been busy killing each other off all over the city! In cafes, in the streets, gambling venues .... Seems the old crims are being challenged by the young bloods about whose in charge here! Rolling Eyes Makes for rivetting reading, following all this ....

and when I went to Melbourne, where d'ya think MsOlga took me to lunch - right there in Lygon Street, right in the middle of the gangsters' dens! Scared witless and shitless, I was - I kept ducking under the table at any sudden noise. There were these godfather types all 'round. Made me very nervous.

Sydney is such a neat city for that sort of thing, as Stilly says!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:05 pm
When In Rome, margo .... Laughing I thought you'd find it exciting! Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:08 pm
msolga wrote:
When In Rome, margo .... Laughing I thought you'd find it exciting! Laughing :wink:
Laughing
Well - it sure cured any constipation I may have been thinking of having Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:33 am
You exaggerate, margo! There were hardly any criminals around then! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:48 am
Melbourne is a small and attractive Georgian market town in a delightful part of South Derbyshire, England.
0 Replies