Why are you a Christian (or Why not) ?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:45 pm
Ruash

Paul is much, much more important to Christianity than Jesus.

Without Paul there would be no Christianity.

Without Jesus -- Paul would have touted something else -- and you would be insisting that person was god.

Paul was the salesman.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:05 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

Christianity as we know is today is a purely Pauline construct. The whole idea that Jesus was an incarnate deity is the product of Paul. The resurrection also has Pauline roots.

These statements are not true. Where do you get this stuff?

Take, for example, the "incarnate deity" point. That is something Jesus allegedly asserted himself. And Paul was not the one reporting it.

Actually, Craven, you are incorrect. Paul is the earliest source to assert Jesus's divinity. The Pauline letters date prior to the gospels. The earliest reference to the resurrection comes from Mark, and is likely a later addition to the late first century text. Jesus's assertions of divinity come primarily from John which was written in the early to mid second century. If one wishes to take the trouble to wade through the gospels, as the Jesus Project has done in search of "Q" one finds that none of the assertions of divinity appear to be authentic examples of the actual words of Jesus.
I get thtis "stuff" as you so amusingly call it, from current scholarship. Pagels, Ehrman, Boswell, Crosson, Jenkins, and Momigliano are all good places to begin.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:32 pm
As I expected, you are unable to substantiate what you assert. Dropping names does nothing to support your contention. <shrugs>

I am familiar with the references you cite. And none of them can substantiate your statements either.

For example, you are taking them a huge step further. Nobody *knows* whether the Pauline letters predate the gospels. It's simply considered probable. I personally consider it very probable but this is not a fact either.

Beyond that there is a question of what degree the revision was taken to.

The influence of the Pauline letters on the Gospels can't be denied but then again you can't deny the existence of the written sources that predate the pauline letters. And several texts attributed to him were done in error. Authorship on many of them is unknown.

Trying to assert precisely what Paul's influence was on the gospels is hit and miss. You can't do it with such certainty.

This is why you can't substantiate what you've said. You could, however, make a compelling argument that it was probable.

The Gospels did not draw solely upon the Pauline letters. What was and was not Paul's hand is arguable.

The revisions certainly did occur. But nobody knows exactly what revisions occured and exactly what predated them.

This is why you will not be able to assert that as fact and substantiate it. You'll have to rely on a more generalized case about Paul. Similar to the one that Frank used.

His importance is undeniable. But you cite specific revisions when this is not possible to establish authoritatively with the currently available information.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:51 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
As I expected, you are unable to substantiate what you assert. Dropping names does nothing to support your contention. <shrugs>

I am familiar with the references you cite. And none of them can substantiate your statements either.

This statrement makes me doubt you actually have any familiarity with the authors cited.

Quote:
For example, you are taking them a huge step further. Nobody *knows* whether the Pauline letters predate the gospels. It's simply considered probable. I personally consider it very probable but this is not a fact either.

I don't recall staing "everyone knows" anything. I don't use terms like that.

Quote:
Beyond that there is a question of what degree the revision was taken to.

An extrememly large question, as well as the sequence of revisions.

Quote:
The influence of the Pauline letters on the Gospels can't be denied but then again you can't deny the existence of the written sources that predate the pauline letters.

But you fail to mention the fact that the "written sources which predate the Pauline Corpus" are not, in fact, the gospels themselves, and are in fact themselve's suspect. The Reference to Jesus in one version of Josephus springs immediately to mind, as does the purported "Centurion Letter" which includes a physical descriptionof Jesus.

Quote:
And several texts attributed to him were done in error. Authorship on many of them is unknown.

This is something I addressed much earlier.

Quote:
Trying to assert precisely what Paul's influence was on the gospels is hit and miss. You can't do it with such certainty.

I never attempted to assert certainty. I do assert that Pauline Christianity is the version that has survived to the present day. I also assert that many of the aspects of Christianity that are seen as vitally important to contemporary Christians are likely Pauline constructs, posited in order to make Chrisitanity more competitive with Serapis, Isis, and other mystery cults extant in the Hellenistic world.

Quote:
This is why you can't substantiate what you've said. You could, however, make a compelling argument that it was probable.

Which was, indeed my intention. You appear to have misunderstood my intentions.

Quote:
The Gospels did not draw solely upon the Pauline letters. What was and was not Paul's hand is arguable.

If any (though I don't go that far to the extreme).

Quote:
The revisions certainly did occur. But nobody knows exactly what revisions occured and exactly what predated them.

This is why you will not be able to assert that as fact and substantiate it. You'll have to rely on a more generalized case about Paul. Similar to the one that Frank used.

Again, you would appear to have misinterperated my intentions.

Quote:
His importance is undeniable. But you cite specific revisions when this is not possible to establish authoritatively with the currently available information.

See above.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:58 pm
Ok, let's put it this way. Perhaps I misunderstand your intention. But can you substantiate the claim that that Paul is the source for claims to Jesus' diety?

On one hand you say he is, and on the other you reference things with less certainty (e.g. "seems").

I am curious as to whether you can establish this (Paul being the source for claims to Jesus' diety) as fact or mere speculation (however probable or improbable).
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:08 pm
I think that it is highly probable that this derives from Paul. The most telling factor is that "Messiahship" in first century Palestine was a political title, rather than a religious one. Incarnations of Deity were, on the other hand, common among eastern mystery religions of the era.
Robert Eisenmann has written extensively on aspects of Jewish Messianism, as well as on the "Jesus Family." He has also done some work on the concept of the "pesher" in Torah. I am less familiar with his work on the Dead Sea Scrolls, but what I have read has been very informative.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:10 pm
Fair enough, that leaves a disagreement about probability that will not likely be resolved , in definitive fashion, within either of our lifetimes.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:22 pm
Rich Whiteman-Fox is on Talk of the Nation right now talking about the perception of Jesus in America.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:08 pm
I recently spoke to a few teenage Atheist...and I found them to have a lot in common with Godfeinds:

1.)Fiercely protect their believes
2.)Assume that all that don't share beliefs are idiots.
3.)GET ON MY NERVES!
4.)Follow something blindly with little facts to support beliefs

I say let us round up the ignorant teenage Atheist and ignorant Godfeinds, put them in a room and let them kill each other. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:23 pm
Don't you really think life is to short to fight all the time?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:25 pm
husker wrote:
Don't you really think life is to short to fight all the time?

If you don't mind my asking...How am I fighting?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:29 pm
don't be silly - ingeneral - not you! Wink
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:30 pm
husker wrote:
don't be silly - ingeneral - not you! Wink

I see Embarrassed ....you I guess you are right....But I'm sure the diehard Godfeinds, and the ignorant teenage Atheist would be very happy doing so.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:07 pm
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say I'm not a Christian. It's the in your face, I'm right and your wrong so I'm better than you attetude that many christians have.

A top story on CNN today says:

Quote:
The pilot, Rodger K. Findiesen of Annapolis, Maryland, has been grounded while the February 7 incident is investigated, Gerard Arpey said.

The pilot of the Los Angeles-to-New York flight asked all Christians aboard to discuss their faith with their fellow passengers.

Click here for the whole story.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:37 am
This is being discussed in another thread, which I'll link this to if I run across it.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:04 am
I am raised... am being raised... a Catholic.
But, I dunno... Something about the whole weekly journey to a large building filled with other fanatics so as to consume the symbolic representation of the flesh and blood of a man dead for over 2000 years just doesn't do it for me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 06:22 am
Francisco D'Anconia- Most parents raise their offspring in their own religion. As a person who is growing and learning, it is important to realize that there are many world views. Exposing oneself to different types of thought is the best way for a person to eventually make an intelligent, educated decision, as to how he wants to live his life.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:49 am
Well said Phoenix. My parents made me go through first communion (confirmation?) before leaving it up to me. In their hearts; they were agnostic... but wanted to give their kids the opportunity to make an educated decision.

Francisco D'Anconia: It must be difficult being forced to go to church with a name like Francisco D'Anconia :wink: ... It would appear you've already reached a conclusion. Idea
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:50 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:52 am
Francisco D'Anconia wrote:
I am raised... am being raised... a Catholic.
But, I dunno... Something about the whole weekly journey to a large building filled with other fanatics so as to consume the symbolic representation of the flesh and blood of a man dead for over 2000 years just doesn't do it for me.

Sounds to me as though you have a good grasp on things, Francisco.
0 Replies