Why are you a Christian (or Why not) ?

Seeker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:24 am
If it doesn't work for you... try a different way of finding God. And that doesn't necessarily mean giving up on Christianity. It means visiting different denominational services and trying special prayer groups that your Church probably holds.

I cam e a lot closer to God through my Church's youth groups. I don't know what I believe - I am, as my name tells you, seeking God - but I do find the presence of God with me when I go with a group of others to pray. :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:51 am
Seeker wrote:
If it doesn't work for you... try a different way of finding God. And that doesn't necessarily mean giving up on Christianity. It means visiting different denominational services and trying special prayer groups that your Church probably holds.

I cam e a lot closer to God through my Church's youth groups. I don't know what I believe - I am, as my name tells you, seeking God - but I do find the presence of God with me when I go with a group of others to pray. :wink:

Or Francisco might consider not "looking for any gods" -- and simply acknowledge that whether or not there actually are gods -- and what those gods are like -- what pleases them and what offends them (if anything) -- apparently is unknowable at this time.

Then he can lead an ethical, moral life based on his logic and intellect instead of dictates of a (perhaps mythical) god.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:15 pm
but the Christian faith is not a blind faith....it is a faith supported by physical and even scientific evidence.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:38 pm
A friend of mine took me a couple of times to a Unitarian Universalist service.
http://www.uua.org/aboutuu/

Quote:
With its historical roots in the Jewish and Christian traditions, Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religion -- that is, a religion that keeps an open mind to the religious questions people have struggled with in all times and places. We believe that personal experience, conscience and reason should be the final authorities in religion, and that in the end religious authority lies not in a book or person or institution, but in ourselves. We are a "non-creedal" religion: we do not ask anyone to subscribe to a creed.

I did not continue, for at this point in my life, I really don't want to become involved in anything that even remotely smacks of religion. I think though, for some people who are at the point of questioning the dogma of religions, the UU would be an interesting place to explore religion from a personal perspective.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:51 pm
The presence of intelligent design proves the existence of an intelligent designer. It's simply cause and effect.
We know that design necessitates a designer. In general, we find "specified complexity" to be a reliable indicator of the presence of intelligent design. Chance can explain complexity alone but not specification -- a random sequence of letters is complex but not specified (it's meaningless).

Through the microscope, we observe the E. coli bacterial flagellum. The bacterial flagellum is what propels E. coli bacteria through its microscopic world. It consists of about 40 individual protein parts including a stator, rotor, drive-shaft, U-joint, and propeller. It's a microscopic outboard motor! The individual parts come into focus when magnified 50,000 times (using electron micrographs). And even though these microscopic outboard motors run at an incredible 100,000 rpm, they can stop on a microscopic dime. It takes only a quarter turn for them to stop, shift directions and start spinning 100,000 rpm in the opposite direction! The flagellar motor has two gears (forward and reverse), is water-cooled, and is hardwired into a signal transduction (sensory mechanism) so that it receives feedback from its environment.

If you were to find a stator, rotor, drive-shaft, U-joint, or propeller in any vehicle, machine, toy or model, you would recognize them as the product of an intelligent source. No one would expect an outboard motor -- much less one as incredible as the flagellar motor -- to be the product of a chance assemblage of parts. Motors are the product of intelligent design.

Furthermore, the E. coli bacterial flagellum simply could not have evolved gradually over time. The bacterial flagellum is an "irreducibly complex" system. An irreducibly complex system is one composed of multiple parts, all of which are necessary for the system to function. If you remove any one part, the entire system will fail to function. Every individual part is integral. There is absolutely no naturalistic, gradual, evolutionary explanation for the bacterial flagellum. (Michael Behe, Darwin's Black Box, 1996.)

The bacterial flagellum (not to mention the irreducibly complex molecular machines responsible for the flagellum's assembly) is just one example of the specified complexity that pervades the microscopic biological world. Molecular biologist Michael Denton wrote, "Although the tiniest bacterial cells are incredibly small, weighing less than 10-12 grams, each is in effect a veritable micro-miniaturized factory containing thousands of exquisitely designed pieces of intricate molecular machinery, made up altogether of one hundred thousand million atoms, far more complicated than any machinery built by man and absolutely without parallel in the non-living world."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:42 pm
Perhaps that God of yours could take time out from the R&D department at Micro-Evinrude, and use that booming voice to address his middle management. Something like: "Attention priests... Stop f@@king kids, Okay?" Would that be asking too much of the Almighty? Why would a benevolent god want to invent E. coli in the first place? Did he get bored with the existing ways to plague us? I would have thought He'd have better things to do.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:44 pm
thanks for contributing your wisdom here.....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:50 pm
I'm usually only a jerk by accident. That time it was on purpose. But in retrospectÂ… I'm still sorry. Embarrassed (Attempting to pass the proverbial peace pipe)
0 Replies

micah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:54 pm
right on...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:18 pm
An article in this morning's newspaper about a child born with craniopagus parasiticus made me think of the Intellignt Design argument. To be born with an additional-- though not fully developed--head is to be born with a part that certainly would be useless on its own. It is unfortunate that several teams of doctors practicing conventional medicine removed the extra head in a very long and costly surgical operation. (I don't know why they didn't call in a naturopath or a homeopath, but that is another story.) Now we will never know what important role the extra head was supposed to play.
It is possible that the extra head was the work of an intelligent designer and that the purpose of the additional cranium was to test the skills of practitioners of conventional medicin. Of course, the purpose might have been personal: to test the faith of the parents of the unfortunate child. They seem to have passed the test--if it was a test--for it is reported that they said a prayer over the baby and said "May God be with you" as the infant was wheeled into the operating room. Of course, the search for these kinds of purposes is fruitless, since they are infinite in possibility and our finite minds don't have access to the divine mind that might be pulling the strings. Even the search for good reasons for bad things might be a test: Whoever can find more ways to justify the ways of God to man gets the highest grade on the test and may receive some sort of award in the end.

Another question we might ask is whether it is more likely than an extra head was designed by Nature or some very intelligent being? It seems to be just the kind of thing one would expect were Nature in charge. Such a condition seems more likely the result of blind and indifferent forces governed by pitiless laws and determined by multiple conditions that sometimes produce horrible results. On the other hand, maybe the intelligent designer who put together the bacterium's flagellum is still experimenting? Maybe this designer is still putting parts together to see how they work in conjunction. Or maybe this is just one of Nature's "mistakes." Who knows? Perhaps the answer is tucked away in some sacred book somewhere. Meanwhile, the operation is over and at last report the child was recovering. Her doctors say it's possible she will develop normally. If she does, will it be due to a divine miracle? Or will it be due to the scientific knowledge, technology, skill, and dedication of human beings?

Unfortunately, the child died. What conclusion should we draw from that?
0 Replies

micah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:31 pm
yes, a tragedy....nonetheless, to many, intelligent design is a fact...

the God of the bible tells us this Earth is under a curse....he never promised us immunity from difficulties, but he did offer peace in difficulties...

some may even consider the child lucky....free ticket to heaven so to speak...

"our light affliction is but for a moment"
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:47 pm
Intelligent design theory is not new. Mark Twain even had some thoughts about it.
Quote:
Thoughts of God
by Mark Twain
from Fables of Man
Mark Twain Papers Series
University of California Press

How often we are moved to admit the intelligence exhibited in both the designing and the execution of some of His works. Take the fly, for instance. The planning of the fly was an application of pure intelligence, morals not being concerned. Not one of us could have planned the fly, not one of us could have constructed him; and no one would have considered it wise to try, except under an assumed name. It is believed by some that the fly was introduced to meet a long-felt want. In the course of ages, for some reason or other, there have been millions of these persons, but out of this vast multitude there has not been one who has been willing to explain what the want was. At least satisfactorily. A few have explained that there was need of a creature to remove disease-breeding garbage; but these being then asked to explain what long-felt want the disease-breeding garbage was introduced to supply, they have not been willing to undertake the contract.

There is much inconsistency concerning the fly. In all the ages he has not had a friend, there has never been a person in the earth who could have been persuaded to intervene between him and extermination; yet billions of persons have excused the Hand that made him -- and this without a blush. Would they have excused a Man in the same circumstances, a man positively known to have invented the fly? On the contrary. For the credit of the race let us believe it would have been all day with that man. Would persons consider it just to reprobate in a child, with its undeveloped morals, a scandal which they would overlook in the Pope?

When we reflect that the fly was as not invented for pastime, but in the way of business; that he was not flung off in a heedless moment and with no object in view but to pass the time, but was the fruit of long and pains-taking labor and calculation, and with a definite and far-reaching, purpose in view; that his character and conduct were planned out with cold deliberation, that his career was foreseen and fore-ordered, and that there was no want which he could supply, we are hopelessly puzzled, we cannot understand the moral lapse that was able to render possible the conceiving and the consummation of this squalid and malevolent creature.

Let us try to think the unthinkable: let us try to imagine a Man of a sort willing to invent the fly; that is to say, a man destitute of feeling; a man willing to wantonly torture and harass and persecute myriads of creatures who had never done him any harm and could not if they wanted to, and -- the majority of them -- poor dumb things not even aware of his existence. In a word, let us try to imagine a man with so singular and so lumbering a code of morals as this: that it is fair and right to send afflictions upon the just -- upon the unoffending as well as upon the offending, without discrimination.

If we can imagine such a man, that is the man that could invent the fly, and send him out on his mission and furnish him his orders: "Depart into the uttermost corners of the earth, and diligently do your appointed work. Persecute the sick child; settle upon its eyes, its face, its hands, and gnaw and pester and sting; worry and fret and madden the worn and tired mother who watches by the child, and who humbly prays for mercy and relief with the pathetic faith of the deceived and the unteachable. Settle upon the soldier's festering wounds in field and hospital and drive him frantic while he also prays, and betweentimes curses, with none to listen but you, Fly, who get all the petting and all the protection, without even praying for it. Harry and persecute the forlorn and forsaken wretch who is perishing of the plague, and in his terror and despair praying; bite, sting, feed upon his ulcers, dabble your feet in his rotten blood, gum them thick with plague-germs -- feet cunningly designed and perfected for this function ages ago in the beginning -- carry this freight to a hundred tables, among the just and the unjust. the high and the low, and walk over the food and gaum it with filth and death. Visit all; allow no man peace till he get it in the grave; visit and afflict the hard-worked and unoffending horse, mule, ox, ass, pester the patient cow, and all the kindly animals that labor without fair reward here and perish without hope of it hereafter; spare no creature, wild or tame; but wheresoever you find one, make his life a misery, treat him as the innocent deserve; and so please Me and increase My glory Who made the fly.

We hear much about His patience and forbearance and long-suffering; we hear nothing about our own, which much exceeds it. We hear much about His mercy and kindness and goodness -- in words -- the words of His Book and of His pulpit -- and the meek multitude is content with this evidence, such as it is, seeking no further; but whoso searcheth after a concreted sample of it will in time acquire fatigue. There being no instances of it. For what are gilded as mercies are not in any recorded case more than mere common justices, and due -- due without thanks or compliment. To rescue without personal risk a cripple from a burning house is not a mercy, it is a mere commonplace duty; anybody would do it that could. And not by proxy, either -- delegating the work but confiscating the credit for it. If men neglected "God's poor" and "God's stricken and helpless ones" as He does, what would become of them? The answer is to be found in those dark lands where man follows His example and turns his indifferent back upon them: they get no help at all; they cry, and plead and pray in vain, they linger and suffer, and miserably die. If you will look at the matter rationally and without prejudice, the proper place to hunt for the facts of His mercy, is not where man does the mercies and He collects the praise, but in those regions where He has the field to Himself.

It is plain that there is one moral law for heaven and another for the earth. The pulpit assures us that wherever we see suffering and sorrow which we can relieve and do not do it, we sin, heavily. There was never yet a case of suffering or sorrow which God could not relieve. Does He sin, then? If He is the Source of Morals He does -- certainly nothing can be plainer than that, you will admit. Surely the Source of law cannot violate law and stand unsmirched; surely the judge upon the bench cannot forbid crime and then revel in it himself unreproached. Nevertheless we have this curious spectacle: daily the trained parrot in the pulpit gravely delivers himself of these ironies, which he has acquired at second-hand and adopted without examination, to a trained congregation which accepts them without examination, and neither the speaker nor the hearer laughs at himself. It does seem as if we ought to be humble when we are at a bench-show, and not put on airs of intellectual superiority there.

More stories from Mark Twain here.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:49 pm
Occum Bill, you have much more restraint than I. The only way for me to stop myself is to stay away from this, this.......
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:50 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:56 pm
Actually Diane, Dys seems to have gently implied similar doubts, but found a far more thoughtful way of presenting themÂ… Well done Dys.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:56 pm
mesquite wrote:
Intelligent design theory is not new. Mark Twain even had some thoughts about it.

even he made excuses to deny reality.....however nightmarish it may seem....

can you offer any scientific comments about what i have presented??
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:12 pm
Occum Bill, yep, he has a way with words. All too often, they don't seem to be read or understood.

Welcome to a2k Mesquite. I'm a fellow Arizonan but haven't lived there for a long time.
I love Mark Twain!!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:25 pm
micah wrote:
can you offer any scientific comments about what i have presented??
Here is an excerpt from an article debunking Dembski's claims regarding E. Coli. The entire article is rather long to post here, but here is a link to the entire article
Quote:
Is the bacterial flagellum sufficiently complex? Using Dembski’s own criterion, only if the probability of its being actualized by the joint action of all natural causes is less than the universal probability bound. Dembski attempted to demonstrate this to be true by treating the bacterial flagellum as if it were a discrete combinatorial object actualized by the pure chance gathering of 50 of the right kinds of proteins (and in the correct proportions) at some spot in the vicinity of the cell wall and plasma membrane of E. coli and then, again by chance, happening to configure themselves into a functioning rotary propulsion system for this bacterial cell. The only natural formational process that Dembski considered in his probability computation was self-assembly by pure happenstance.

We reject that argument as being a totally unrealistic caricature of how the flagellum is actualized and an approach that totally ignores the role of the bacterial genome in coding for all of the structures and functions that contribute to the nature of E. coli. E. coli bacteria possess flagella, not because flagella self-assemble and self-attach to the cell membrane, but because the genome of E. coli came to include in its genetic library the coded instructions for growing the flagellar propulsion system. Dembski’s case for the complexity (as he defines it) of the bacterial flagellum fails.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:51 pm
mesquite wrote:
an article debunking Dembski's claims regarding E. Coli

i read the article....didn't seem much of a de-bunking....more of a confusion over terms, opinions, and fancy words....

how one can not be awed by these tiny molecular machines is beyond me? they scream of a design....for every website you find that 'debunks' these claims i can find 2 more that support them.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:24 pm
micah wrote:
mesquite wrote:
an article debunking Dembski's claims regarding E. Coli

i read the article....didn't seem much of a de-bunking....more of a confusion over terms, opinions, and fancy words.....

Precisely what Dembski's claims were all about. You asked for a scientific argument to the information you presented and I provided it. Would you care to provide a moral argument to counter Mark Twain's piece?
0 Replies