FAVORITE IRISH MOVIES

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:52 am
@izzythepush,
I find that the BRits are expert at presenting ridiculousness (Like "Python" ) However they often lose touch with where to best apply this sense of the ridiculous. Not every sitation lends itself to total farce. Sometimes, funny sitations are just based on everyday occurences or riony or (my favorite plot device) spiraling consequences of relatively simple acts.

Thats where I found a movie like "FArgo" a plot device of pure genis. It was nothing more than an entire movie where our devices begin spiraling totally out of control with unknown outcomes that get successively more dire (and of course, amusing to the jaded)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:46 am
@farmerman,
Maybe it doesn't travel well, I've never really liked Vicar of Dibley or Waiting for God. Absurdist comedy has moved on since Python. If it's not your cup of tea fair enough. I don't think the makers would be too pleased to hear you describe it as British, even though it was made with British money
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:39 am
@izzythepush,
Oh yeh, Irish. I remember Irish Tv in Dublin and they imported much of their content. That which was local was also lame by broader world views.Yes weve moved beyond Python by several decades but it still holds up (with the exception of Gillinghams cartoons and big feet stomping the characters whenever they run a skit to ground and cant come up with anything smarter to finish up)
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:43 am
@farmerman,
places on the planet where TV is challenged has been Ireland and most of SE Asia including Taiwan and certain channels in Japan. In Taiwan and Thailand thaye had 2 channels devoted to endless SMO rasslin bouts. Maybe for abot 10 minutes I cold watch this, beyond that, it was like a water torture
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:29 am
@farmerman,
At the moment in Ireland we have the state broadcaster RTE which every house with a tv pays a licence fee of €160 a year for. For that we get RTE1, RTE2 & TG4 (Irish language station). We also have an independent station running TV3 & 3E. Of course we also get BBC, ITV, C4, SKY and all the channels they bring with them.
We've got 'Sixty Shannels of **** on our SheV to Shoose from!'.
RTE have produced a few goodies over the years, not many though.
Recent Irish shows worth a mention. 'The Tudors' & Love/Hate. RTE can never hope to match the BBC, David & Goliath, but like with most things in Ireland, we punch above our weight!.
On the movie front with the help of foreign investment and home grown talent we do ok, definitely hold our own in the movie world.
Some Irish movies I note haven't been mentioned.
The General 1998 starring Brendan Gleeson & Jon Voight.
Michael Collins 1996 starring Liam Neeson, Alan Rickman & Julia Roberts.
Veronica Guerin 2003 starring Cate Blanchett.
Between the Canals 2011
Intermission 2003 starring Colm Meaney, Cillian Murphy & Colin Farrell.
Adam and paul 2004.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:30 am
@farmerman,
What are
Quote:
SMO rasslin bouts.

Would it be 'Short Men Only Wrestling bouts'?.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:32 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I believe the rules to be stout men only...
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:49 am
@Rockhead,
OK gys, I colda figured out that I was having problem with my U key.
It doesnt register half the time.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
that could cause you grief if you were English or canajun, eh...

I'm used to your typing methods, very little phazes me now.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 01:42 pm
I love British films, one of my all time favorites is “Sexy Beast” love that movie!
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 01:54 pm
@jcboy,
Alwight geezer!.
Check out London Boulevard, Ray Winstone's in it too, great actor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfYOVPQ73e8
0 Replies