Political correctness gone mad

kev

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
kev

Well, and as far as I know, one (only one?) of last year's "event" was by the Tory-controlled Buckinghamshire County Council, which had banned notices of religious, political or sexual nature, here at Wycombe, Bucks, public library.
Quote:
Margaret Dewar, who is responsible for the council libraries, said: "The aim of the policy is to be inclusive and to respect the religious diversity of Buckinghamshire".

You're right Walter, It was a one off thing, I didn't intend to imply that this was a trend that was sweeping across Britain like the plague, I was merely pointing out that this was one of those cases where "political correctness" is being taken to silly extremes.

How does it respect the "the religious diversity" of Buckinghamshire to tell us that we should not have Nativity scenes in our shop windows at christmas?

If the Indian community put a figure of their deity Ganesh in their shop windows when it's their religious holiday we wouldn't be offended.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:31 am
I really don't know an answer: I'm no conservative at all.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:00 pm
What I am saying, Katya, is that it is not "bad" to notice the color of someone's skin. You can think of it the same way as if you were noticing that they were wearing a blue shirt.

What is "bad" is treating people differently soley based on skin color. (Or any other non-changeable physical appearence: e.g. sex, hair color, height)
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:24 pm
I agree with you, Portal.

Oooops! Somebody get some smelling salts, please? Portal fainted, when she finally heard me say that I agree with her......
Confused
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:06 pm
Hahahahah, yes I don't hear that very often. Yes, I almost fainted. You make my tired feet less weary. :wink:
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:37 pm
kev wrote:
Portal star, I agree with your comment above, I can see nothing wrong in identifying someone by saying "the black guy" to distinguish him from the six white guys he is stood talking to,I'm sure nobody would take offence if the remark was "the white guy" to distinguish him from the six black guys he was talking to.

Or even "the heavy guy" when pointing me out standing next to a skinny guy...hey, wait a minute...

*looks at 40" waist and sighs*

Face it--appearance can be the easiest way to specify who you're talking about.

If someone said "the martial arts instructor", "the car nut", or "the crazy nutjob", they could be talking about my wife, or any number of other people. However, if they say "the Hispanic woman with long hair", that's probably my wife.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:57 pm
I'm the crazy carnutjob.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 06:11 pm
I watched Oprah a few years back, on one show, they dicussed this very topic. She said it's often amusing watching white people scramble to describe a lone black man in the room.
It implies a racist thought, as if being black is bad, or somehow wrong. It isn't.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 06:18 pm
I think that has been debated in news rooms for a while, to describe physical attributes of a person and/or color when reporting news about someone.
0 Replies