Political correctness gone mad

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 03:44 pm
I do get your drift. And like I said, I don't disagree with most of your examples.

The point is that it's simply different degrees of sensitivity to different things.

Of course people should be made to feel bad for being rude. It's just a matter of what is and what isn't rude. On this people will differ.

For example, in your last post you said describing someone as having a "Jewish nose" is acceptable to you. I would find that rude and ignorant.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 04:34 pm
Gorsh. I was looking for a song on the internet today, cause I love it. It was done behind a commercial with some cool black dude dancing as he sang it.

This is what I remember:
Hand me down my walkin' cane
Hand me down my hat.
The rubber band, band or something.

When I looked it up it was politically incorrect, soooooooo. I couldn't post it on A2K.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 05:14 pm
Can't understand Letty why that would be unacceptable PC, how about this claptrap from our PC idiots.

In schools we have blackboards, you know the thing ( or should I say thang) that teachers write on, they were called "blackboards" because:

A: they were boards
B: they were painted black

The reason for this was quite simple, if you have a "black board" and you write on it with white chalk the white writing will stand out against the black background making it easy to see for the pupils.

We can no longer call them blackboards because some brain dead p***k has decided that this could be offensive to the the black British community
so they now have to be refered to as chalk boards, I wait with baited breath on how I will have to order my next pair of BLACK SHOES.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 05:46 pm
Letty wrote:
Gorsh. I was looking for a song on the internet today, cause I love it. It was done behind a commercial with some cool black dude dancing as he sang it.

This is what I remember:
Hand me down my walkin' cane
Hand me down my hat.
The rubber band, band or something.

When I looked it up it was politically incorrect, soooooooo. I couldn't post it on A2K.

The song is called "Rubber Band Man", by the Spinners. Not a bad song.

There's another song by the same name, but it's a rather-profane rap by T.I.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:04 pm
kev, Strangely enough, our chalk boards were green. Then that brings up "It's not easy being green" Smile

Jar, That's the song that I was looking for--the one by the Spinners. Damn, I miss dancing. Thanks cause believe it or not, I like dancing by myself. UhOh!
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:55 pm
I had Billy Joel's "The Downeaster 'Alexa'" playing while I was making that post. Have you ever looked up lyrics whil listening to a different song? If not, I recommend against it. That's confusing!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:01 pm
LOL - our blackboards were green too - but still called blackboards. Now, we tend to use whiteboards...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:46 pm
Billy Joel, "It's My life". Love it!

When I tried to find the lyrics to Rubber Band Man, Google whaked me over the head with an endless loop.

Music to dance by..music to think by..music to drift by..

It happened once before,
His eyes were blue like yours,
It happened once before,
His love seemed true like yours,
And when I held him in my arms his heart felt warm and when,
I hold you close to me, I feel that same old warmth again.
It happened once before
His love seemed right like yours,
If I were only sure you'd love me more and more,
Not less unless the way it happened once before.

and that one was from memory.

Should I post a song about brown eyes? Smile
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:52 pm
I dunno that one.

I like "My Life"--it's my philosophy on life set to music. I like most of his stuff, in fact.

Hmm..."Brown-Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison?

For something scary, look up lyrics for "Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)", off the 1976 "Turnstiles" album. Then, think back about 2 1/2 years...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:24 pm
Thinking back, Jar:

I don't know when I've been so blue
Don't know what's come over you
You've found someone new
And don't it make my brown eyes blue

I'll be fine when you're gone
I'll just cry all night long
Say it isn't true
And don't it make my brown eyes blue

Tell me no secrets, tell me some lies
Give me no reasons, give me alibis
Tell me you love me and don't let me cry
Say anything but don't say goodbye

I didn't mean to treat you bad
Didn't know just what I had
But honey now I do
And don't it make my brown eyes
Don't it make my brown eyes
Don't it make my brown eyes blue

Tell me no secrets, tell me some lies
Give me no reasons, give me alibis
Tell me you love me and don't let me cry
Say anything but don't say goodbye

I didn't mean to treat you bad
Didn't know just what I had
But honey now I do
And don't it make my brown eyes
Don't it make my brown eyes
Don't it make my brown eyes blue

Crystal Gale.

I'll have to check out Miami...better, still. Give me a link..Grrrrrr. Just got my speakers working...

Hey, I knew a neat chic once who had a great voice. Had a chance to sing with a big band, and the leader wanted her to get her nose bobbed..She was Armenian....Told her to stick with the nose that brung her. Razz
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
I've read all the post..some good points made.

I don't see how someone would or could take offense to being pointed out as being black. It is much better to be referred to as black, than as the one and most racist slur that I have ever heard in my life. Its that ONE word that I can't even bring myself to spell in this forum, much less say. Its a word that is UNEXCEPTABLE in my home....or vocabulary. Now that is something that is to be taken offensively. So is any other word that used to describe someone negatively....for thier color, race...size or I.Q.

I've never completely understood political correctness anyways. But I do agree...it has gone mad, when we have to worry about what we say to keep from offending someone...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:44 pm
Hey, Makesmeshiver. where you been? Dig this song:

Straighten Up And Fly Right Lyrics

(Words and Music by Nat King Cole and Irving Mills)

A buzzard took the monkey for a ride in the air
The monkey thought that everything was on the square
The buzzard tried to throw the monkey off his back
But the monkey grabbed his neck and said-- Now listen, Jack

Straighten up and fly right
Cool down, papa, don't you blow your top.
Ain't no use in divin'
What's the use in jivin'

The buzzard told the monkey "You're chokin' me
Release your hold and I'll set you free
The monkey looked the buzzard right dead in the eye and said
Your story's touching but it sounds like a lie

Straighten up and do right

(instrumental interlude)

Straighten up and do right

Nat Cole
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:54 pm
Why is it OK to identify someone as "That guy who tells those great stories" but NOT as "That black guy"? Because telling great stories is part of his personality, i.e. his humanity.........being black is just a skin-color.

Why is it OK to identify someone as "The woman who flirted with everyone's husband" but NOT as "The woman with those big boobs"? Because she decided to be a flirt, but she was born with large boobs.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

It's got nothing to do with being politically correct.

Calling people black, white, gay, lesbian, cripples, geeks, nerds, jocks, arabs, jews, neocons, communists, etc., etc., removes their humanity and thereby creates the groundwork for all racism, bigotry, and hate for the "other".
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 11:15 pm
katya8 wrote:
Why is it OK to identify someone as "That guy who tells those great stories" but NOT as "That black guy"? Because telling great stories is part of his personality, i.e. his humanity.........being black is just a skin-color.

Why is it OK to identify someone as "The woman who flirted with everyone's husband" but NOT as "The woman with those big boobs"? Because she decided to be a flirt, but she was born with large boobs.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

It's got nothing to do with being politically correct.

Calling people black, white, gay, lesbian, cripples, geeks, nerds, jocks, arabs, jews, neocons, communists, etc., etc., removes their humanity and thereby creates the groundwork for all racism, bigotry, and hate for the "other".

So, when pointing someone out across the room, to somene who's never seen them before, your scenario would be like this.

You: Oh Allen, the poet. He's here tonight...

Friend: Which one is he? Is he out there on the dance floor?

You: Yes. He is the one who is really nice to his wife, and likes oranges.

Friend: Do you mean the guy in the red shirt?

You: No, he's in a blue shirt. And he once gave money to charity.

Friend: There are 10 people in a blue shirt, is it the black guy in the blue shirt?

You: Yes, you rascist!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:24 am
Portal star, I agree with your comment above, I can see nothing wrong in identifying someone by saying "the black guy" to distinguish him from the six white guys he is stood talking to,I'm sure nobody would take offence if the remark was "the white guy" to distinguish him from the six black guys he was talking to.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:38 am
kev wrote:
Since we have been a christian nation for a thousand years or more, and since 95% of us are christians, you can imagine how well this idea was greeted.

71% of the UK citizens claim to be Christians

55% of British public do not believe in a higher being" [1. New Scientist Poll, 2002 Autumn]

40% do not believe in God: 12% said they were sure there was no God and another 14% said they're unconvinced that one exists. In a similar question (on the same poll but phrased differently) 29% said that they do not believe in God, and 60% said they did [9. Moril poll, 2003 Aug]

sources:
National Statistics
Poll: Faith in the UK
National Statistics
Religion in Britain
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:43 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
kev wrote:
Since we have been a christian nation for a thousand years or more, and since 95% of us are christians, you can imagine how well this idea was greeted.

71% of the UK citizens claim to be Christians

55% of British public do not believe in a higher being" [1. New Scientist Poll, 2002 Autumn]

40% do not believe in God: 12% said they were sure there was no God and another 14% said they're unconvinced that one exists. In a similar question (on the same poll but phrased differently) 29% said that they do not believe in God, and 60% said they did [9. Moril poll, 2003 Aug]

sources:
National

Statistics

[/URL]

OK Walter, I'll rephrase, 95% ARE NOT muslims
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:51 am
Yes, Portal.....that's exactly what I meant.

Of course, the way you set it up, half a dozen guys are wearing the exact same blue shirt, so the only way to identify one of them, is to describe him as black?

Makes one wonder what people in the army do to identify each other....
Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:59 am
kev

Well, and as far as I know, one (only one?) of last year's "event" was by the Tory-controlled Buckinghamshire County Council, which had banned notices of religious, political or sexual nature, here at Wycombe, Bucks, public library.
Quote:
Margaret Dewar, who is responsible for the council libraries, said: "The aim of the policy is to be inclusive and to respect the religious diversity of Buckinghamshire".
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:09 am
Meantime, I was thinking that there are exceptions, them being when people "self-identify".

When I see a black rapper who looks and talks like an inner city thug, I have no problem calling him exactly that which he avertises himself to be.

One of my clients, for instance, spends her every waking moment ranting about the evil of men, so when I talk about her, I have no problem calling her a feminist bitch, since that's what she projects to the world.

Same with the Muslim head scarf. It's a public announcement of "Hey, y'all....I'm a Muslim!"
In fact, I just discovered that those scarves originated in 70's Lebanon, where they served to identify Muslim women so the Palestinians would only rape Christian women who did NOT wear those headscarves!
0 Replies