momma t

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:01 pm
my 16 year old told me after seeing her doctor,that she is pregnant.my question is;can I legally make her get an abortion?

boomerang

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:31 pm
@momma t,
I don't think you can.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:34 pm
@momma t,
You certainly would not have that right in this jurisdiction.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 09:32 pm
@momma t,
http://www.law.drake.edu/academics/middleton/docs/publications-qAforTeenParents.pdf

Quote:
Q: Can I force my girlfriend to have an abortion if I am not ready to be a father?
A: No. A woman's privacy rights allow her to make the final decision about abortion. This right applies to all women, including teenagers. In other words, neither you, your parents, nor her parents can force a woman to have an abortion.

Quote:
Q: Can my parents or my partner force me to have an abortion?
A: You have the right to make the final decision about an abortion. Neither your partner nor your parents can force you to have an abortion.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 09:46 pm
Wrong approach. You don't want to "make" her get an abortion. You want to talk WITH her, not AT her, about it, not judgmentally, not harshly, not condemnatory, but calmly and lovingly. Nobody likes being forced into something. She won't. But talk to her about your viewpoint and why you think it's the right ting to do.Do you know anybody that's had an abortion that can talk to her from the viewpoint of having done it? Do some online research, Check out "Our Bodies, Our Selves", the feminist women's health book. I suspect that might have some stuff you can discuss with her. Here's their website http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/ Remember she's your kid and you love her.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 09:48 pm
@momma t,
No, you cannot make her have an abortion. You should have done a lot of talking and explaining before she got pregnant. As a mother it is your responsibility to educate your daughter about sex, contraceptives and pregnancy.

Since you missed that boat, please open the channels of communication now. Talk to her and listen to her what she wants. Depending on her wishes you can set up a plan in how to deal with her pregnancy. If she chooses to abort, then it will be her decision, not yours. If she wants to keep the baby then it is her decision as well. Regardless of her wishes, be there for her and support her.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 09:49 pm
what CJ said.
0 Replies

legalbillingsoftware

Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:05 pm
a big NO!
0 Replies