how to start painting?

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 10:21 pm
hi everyone i am new of this so there are many ideas that comes up, do i have to paint it all?^^
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,231 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 06:16 am
@BlueBlink,
Like with anything else, don't do it all at once.

Maybe write down your ideas so that you don't forget them.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:40 am
@BlueBlink,
I keep an extensive journal of ideas for future drawings and paintings. Practise every day. Draw and play with color. Many people dont start with ideas for their work and many do. (I always do several sketches , then a quick watercolor or pastel of my drawing. I usually work from life so Ill take photos and Ive only recently learned taht using my photos from the copmputer screen rather than printing them, infses the reference photo with more light and reality.

I practice perspective almost every day whenever I get a moment free. (I get my sketch books at a printers discard box where the hand bound sketch books that are made for the Uni are tossed). These are really good rag paper books that may have just a scratch or a slightly bent cover. I get em for like 50 sheets for 2 bucks. (A real bargain and I get all kinds of surfaces)

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:44 pm
I went to the local Y and took a drawing/painting class. It was not only helpful but fun.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
@jespah,
I rarely start with ideas; that would be too intimidating. I prefer to just start painting, usually a foundation of weak or vague colors and shapes and let them tell me how to alter, eliminate, and develop them. Freedom and fun--or maybe I should say expression--is what that is about since what the painting tells me to do is, I suspect, most often my subconscious working as my guide. In a way it is me and in a way (relative to my ego) not me.
Nevertheless, the paintings usually get done and turn out better than I expect--but not as good as I hope for. Sad Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:13 pm
@JLNobody,
You are one of those wherein the act of painting itself is the art. The subject emerges with your work. However, I submit that each stroke you paint, limits the next strokes to fit within a more finite range of color and shape options. Yor paintings evolve whereas mine go to apredetermined completion.

Ill bet I throw away many more paintings that dont please me. I will paint something against a Platonic "reality" and my work must measure up or I dump it in the bin and it becomes kindling.
0 Replies

janet11

Reply Fri 5 May, 2017 12:56 am
@BlueBlink,
Hobby is the combination of freedom and interests. Painting will rich your life colorful, just keep your passion and original intention.
demilovato

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 03:32 am
Start from the sketch, go buy a sketch pen, draw a square, triangle, round, be sure to meditate. The beginning is to keep copying, has been copying, you can draw all the things from the book, and don't draw the physical things that will lose own self-confidence.
0 Replies

chirchri

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 09:23 pm
@janet11,
Totally agree..
0 Replies

sareneo

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 03:12 am
@BlueBlink,
I like painting, too, and start to draw painting recently. At the beginning, I draw easy staff such as eggs and boxes with pencil.
0 Replies

semb1314

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2017 07:01 pm
@BlueBlink,
I think it is not necessary to paint it all, which costs a lot of time. Just do more practice.
0 Replies

Twist6011

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2017 12:54 am
@BlueBlink,
It's hard to paint it all. You can choose one and paint it in your best.
0 Replies