Effects of altitude on scars?

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 11:30 am
I'm planning to become a pilot this year, and I'm wondering if altitude will have any adverse, possibly dangerous effects on my scars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,768 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 11:58 am
@Newflier,
Never heard of such a thing. In fact, I've heard of nothing that causes problems with scars, with the exception of vitamin C to the point of scurvy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:19 pm
@Newflier,
Don't know how accurate this info is (you should consult your doctor because you will eventually need to pass a physical to get your license), but here's what I found:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/wabiomet.htm

Quote:
Q: Do weather conditions, such as humidity or barometric pressure, effect body parts causing arthritis or other pain?

A: There seems to be no doubt that changes in barometric pressure and humidity along with other weather factors do affect people, but I've never been able to find much, up-to-date information about this topic. It falls under the general topic of "biometeorology," or the study of weather and climate on living things from plants to people.

Hippocrates, the great Greek physician of around 400 BC, wrote about weather effects on people. Humidity could have a direct effect on the skin, with the skin expanding slightly with rising humidity and contracting when the air becomes drier. This could explain why humidity changes are painful to people with scar tissue, especially people who have had limbs amputated. Air pressure changes and temperature changes affect people with rheumatoid arthritis. It's easy to imagine how pressure changes could cause headaches, but I don't know exactly how.

The only two references I have to the topic are: Weather and Health by H.E. Landsberg, published by Doubleday Anchor in 1969, and Human Biometeorology: An Updated, Selected Bibliography - 1995 published by the U.S. National Climatic Data Center in 1985.

We are looking for more information.

(Answered by Jack Williams, USATODAY.com Weather Editor)
0 Replies