Obviously Revenues Were Threatened

parados

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 05:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your statement -
Quote:
The cost of birth control for 99% of Georgetown students would never cost $3,000 a year.

Her statement
Quote:
Without insurance coverage, contraception can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school.

Were you exaggerating Finn or lying?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:01 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Chiming in late - good thread, bvt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
ditto. Long live and prosper, Free Duck.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:18 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Your statement -
Quote:
The cost of birth control for 99% of Georgetown students would never cost $3,000 a year.

Her statement
Quote:
Without insurance coverage, contraception can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school.

Were you exaggerating Finn or lying?

or just full of ****?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your timeline is rather humorous Finn. Flukes appearances after Rush's statement really have nothing to do with whether she was a public figure at the time he made them. Whether she has a twitter account has nothing to do with whether she was a public figure or not. A court will decide whether she was a public figure and based on the evidence, it's unlikely that any court would claim she was. However, if she is declared a public figure then the standard is whether Rush knew his statements to be false and made them anyway.

Can a reasonable person think Rush thought his statements were true? That is the only standard. I doubt Rush will win on the merits as easily as you claim.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:28 pm
@parados,
You're not really taking his argument seriously, as if he was an expert on the law, right? C'mon. We've all known each other for a long time. Finn is an expert at making crappy arguments based on bad logic, but that's about it.

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I find his argument kind of idiotic but we wouldn't want anyone else to take him seriously.

The funny thing about this is Rush does have a defense in that he can claim NO ONE takes him seriously and he is only an entertainer. I look forward to the long line of dittoheads called to testify that they don't believe a word of what Rush says.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:33 pm
@parados,
Haha, I always refer to that as the Fox News 'nobody expects the truth out of our news' defense.

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The woman has voluntarily made herself a public figure.

It would be very bad public policy to placed citizens into the public figure classification and removing normal protections from them for addressing Congress or any other part of the government on public matters.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 07:05 pm
@parados,
With birth control pills costing $9 a month at Walmarts and public clinics giving them away fro free in 75% of the counties in the US, how many women in Georgetown do you think are paying over $3,000 a year for birth control?

She was clearly playing fast and loose with the truth to make the issue seem larger than it is.

I f you can't see that on your own, I can't open your eyes.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 07:15 pm
@parados,
So she will receive damages for one day of defamation?

She was a public activist before the Limbaugh slur and she expanded that status afterwards.

Clearly Limbaugh wasn't asserting that she was an actual street walker. Anyone with half a brain realizes that.

Truth is an absolute defense against charges of libel and slander so if she sues (and she won't) the defense will have the right ask her about all of her sexual experiences.

I don't know what constitutes a "slut" but if she sues, I guess we'll find out.

What damages will she allege?

How has it hurt her that Limbaugh called her a slut?

After he did she appeared on national TV at least 4 times, and got a call from the president.

You're just arguing out of your ass as usual.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 07:17 pm
@BillRM,
True, but her public appearence have not been limited to talking to members of congress. Before the affair she has had articles published, and spoke at public gatherings. Since then she has happily appeared on every Liberal talk fest that will have her.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 07:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Clearly Limbaugh wasn't asserting that she was an actual street walker.
Clearly? really? and you know this how?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 08:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

She was a public activist before the Limbaugh slur and she expanded that status afterwards.

Clearly Limbaugh wasn't asserting that she was an actual street walker. Anyone with half a brain realizes that.
Truth is an absolute defense against charges of libel and slander so if she sues (and she won't) the defense will have the right ask her about all of her sexual experiences.

In this case she is the sweet young girl who was assaulted by the mean man, a conclusion that we are predisposed to arrive at by the mass cultural message of 'Men SUCK!". The corollary of "women are wonderful" helps as well. Rush does not have a leg to stand on, as the facts dont matter here.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 08:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

With birth control pills costing $9 a month at Walmarts and public clinics giving them away fro free in 75% of the counties in the US, how many women in Georgetown do you think are paying over $3,000 a year for birth control?

She never said 3k a year. She said 3k over the course of law school, which is three years. Parados pointed that out to you, but you didn't seem to understand when he said it.

Or maybe you're just playing fast and loose with the truth, in order to make the issue seem different than it is? No chance of that?

A thousand a year is about 80 bucks a month. That's still pretty high for birth control; most people pay about 30 a month for it. So, you're right that she's exaggerating a bit. But you do yourself no favors by committing the same error you accuse her of. And frankly, I'm more inclined to take her word over yours in any case, because I highly doubt you know **** about women's health issues.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 08:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
She never said 3k a year. She said 3k over the course of law school, which is three years. Parados pointed that out to you, but you didn't seem to understand when he said it.

She should be made to explain how she managed to spend that much, cause it sounds about as on target as is a government issued cost projection...IE a compete fantasy.

Quote:
Method Effectiveness Cost Per Year
Birth Control Pills 95 percent $160 to $600
Birth Control Patch 95 percent $160 to $600
Cervical Cap 77 to 83 percent $35 to $60
Condoms 85 percent $150
Diaphragm 85 percent $60
Fertility-Awareness 75 to 88 percent Free
IUDs 99 percent $100 (varies)
Shot (Depo-Provera) 99 percent $220 to $460
Sterilization 99 percent $30 to $200 (varies)
Vaginal Ring (NuvaRing) 95 percent $160 to $600
Vaginal Sponge 68 to 84 percent $500
Abstinence 100 percent Free

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2010/08/27/how-much-does-birth-control-cost
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Abstinence isn't free. Sure, there's no DOLLAR cost associated with it; but, you don't get to have sex, and that's an opportunity cost, as most people consider that to be one of the high points of life.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Abstinence isn't free. Sure, there's no DOLLAR cost associated with it; but, you don't get to have sex, and that's an opportunity cost, as most people consider that to be one of the high points of life.

Cycloptichorn

Agreed. Ditto (mostly) for the rhythm and withdraw methods.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
That leaves out things like doctor's visits to get the prescription, and the data is over two years old.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2012/02/BC_costs.html

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2012/02/img/bc_costs.jpg
DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
So she will receive damages for one day of defamation?

a) Yes. The issue isn't how long he pursued the defamation, just that the defamation occurred.
b) He doubled down on the second day, "If we are going to pay for your contraceptives, thus pay for you to have sex, we want something for it, and I'll tell you what it is: We want you to post the videos online so we can all watch."

I'm (mildly) curious as to why you're supporting this ass.