Obviously Revenues Were Threatened

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:02 pm
@mysteryman,
Wrong about what? that your memory isn't perfect? Confused

(not that I think I've ever heard of Schultz or Ingraham)
mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, that my memory isnt perfect.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:34 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

While I 100% agree that Rush was wrong to call that woman a slut (if he actually did), I have to ask this question...

Where was the left wing outrage when this happened?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/onmedia/0511/MSNBC_suspends_Schultz_for_calling_Ingraham_a_slut.html

I dont remember a single left leaning person on this forum condemning Schultz for this or calling for his head.
Why is that?
Is it simply a matter of who does the name calling?

If you can show me where anyone on the left on here condemned Schultz, I will admit I was wrong.

I wasn't collecting outrage data at the time, but I don't even have to click on your link to see that Schultz was suspended for his language. I keep seeing this "they did it too" argument and it just doesn't fly. Though the media has reduced the 3 day tirade to the word "slut" it was actually far worse than anything brought up as a counter example. Rush's verbal assaults spanned 3 days whereby he not only got the facts wrong about how birth control works and the actual issue at hand, he called the woman a slut, prostitute, round heel, accused her of having "so much sex" that she needed extra birth control (again not understanding how it works) and said that he wanted her to post videos of all this sex on the internet so he could watch as his reward. There's just not been anything comparable before, and certainly not without swift punishment. Maher is on HBO precisely because of things he said while he was on ABC. Schultz was suspended. Imus lost his show. What Rush said, by comparison, made all three of them look like somebody who said the word "far"t.

The fact that you question whether or not he actually called her a slut tells me you have not had the displeasure of hearing the full on attack of this woman by Rush. Since I know you to be a decent person, I feel confident that if you heard it you would come to a different opinion.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:39 pm
@FreeDuck,
You are correct, I have not heard his entire tirade, only bits and pieces.
I used to listen to him often, but quit listening to him about 2007, when he started to get really "out there".

My point isnt that Schultz wasnt "punished" for what he said, but rather that the silence was deafening by the more left leaning members here.
But let Limbaugh use the same language and those same people scream bloody murder.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:03 pm
@mysteryman,
It's a perfect double standard.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:16 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

You are correct, I have not heard his entire tirade, only bits and pieces.
I used to listen to him often, but quit listening to him about 2007, when he started to get really "out there".

My point isnt that Schultz wasnt "punished" for what he said, but rather that the silence was deafening by the more left leaning members here.
But let Limbaugh use the same language and those same people scream bloody murder.

I understand your point. My point is that it's not the same language at all, regardless of having the one word in common. And it's not just "the left" who are outraged, it's women and men who love them. (Though I concede that if you are far enough to the right most of those people would indeed be to your left. I don't think that's the case with you, though.) Birth control is wildly popular in this country, and the implication, or in this case the overt assertion, that a woman who wants oral contraceptives covered by insurance is equivalent to a slut and a prostitute is unacceptable to most Americans. I don't even know if I know who Schultz is, but using the word slut even in a metaphorical sense to describe a woman with views that oppose yours is misogynistic. It still doesn't even come close to maligning the character of an otherwise private citizen, and extending the insults to all women who want oral contraceptives covered by insurance, for 3 days.

Finn may be right, there may be a double standard. Schultz was suspended. As far as I know, Rush has not been punished.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:17 pm
@mysteryman,
How has Rush been punished? has he been suspended from the program?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
schultz was reprimanded, Imus was fired for calling the girls baskeball team "Ho's" and Bill Maher is on paremium cable where all sorts of out there stuff is sold as a commodity.

No double standard(unless Rush goes scot free)
thack45

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:24 pm
Given everything being said, I can't figure why this is a big deal.

(Note to self: on March 13 2013 look up (what's her name?) and see how she's doing).
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:27 pm
@farmerman,
I believe in that case the term "nappy-haired" more than obscured the term "ho".
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:29 pm
@mysteryman,
I apologize, MM, for taking this out on you. I've been hearing that double standard argument so many times and it's driving me a bit crazy so forgive me for using you to launch my response. Here is Rush's tirade:

And here is the "Left Wing Misogyny" mashup. Bill Maher is actually a Libertarian but I guess they needed one more to round out the team.

I suppose different people could come to different conclusions but for me there is just no comparison. It's really easy, when something like this happens, to "search the archives" for something as bad being uttered by someone of a different ideology and then decry a double standard base on some perceived lack of condemnation which is impossible to gauge in retrospect. But the point of that exercise is still to prove that what Rush said is ok.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:32 pm
@thack45,
Youre right, it was an Imus toofer. It was during that years NCAA womens finals no?
I just put it out of my meaty-hard drive
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:34 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

A little use of the A2K search function proves even this point to be baseless. The only person appearing to support Schultz is none other than Hawkeye. I'd like to say this doesn't amuse me, but it does.

http://able2know.org/topic/172543-1
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
so the lesson is, if you want to call a woman promiscuous and get away with it - just precede your term of choice with a racial slur...
0 Replies