Obviously Revenues Were Threatened

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:16 pm
@DrewDad,
Makes you wonder doesn't it how many people are costing us $80 a month when the same effect can be had for $15. Maybe this is a place to save this nation some serious money...lets get these women on the cheaper choice.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:16 pm
@DrewDad,
birds of a feather and all that...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Makes you wonder how some people are able to be given the information on a platter and still be completely unable to comprehend it. Maybe this is a place to point out that you should have gotten a better education.

The chart states:
Quote:
*The low end of the price ranges are based on average cost for contraceptives with insurance and the high end represent the typical retail price without insurance. Oral contraceptives fluctuated significantly in retail price without insurance and in some case the out-of-pocket retail cost may be higher than reflected.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:39 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
The low end of the price ranges are based on average cost for contraceptives with insurance and the high end represent the typical retail price without insurance.

This focus in what money needs to come out of the patients pocket at time of service rather than the cost of the treatment speaks volumes about what is wrong with American healthcare.. doesn't it. Maybe somewhere there is a breakdown of what the different brand of pills cost America, but so far I have not found it. Then just for fun we might see what these same pills cost Europeans, but this exercise is not for the faint of heart.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Why do many of the old fogies I know who go to Texas slip over to mexico for their medicines. Could it be because they are much cheaper?
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:29 am
i'm beginning to think that pulling your advertising might be the new advertising, you get national exposure for your product on the news and social media, could be a brilliant strategy

though truth be told, i've never ordered pro flowers, a pyjama gram, a vermont teddy bear, etc.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:31 am
@RABEL222,
It must be serious cause I heard the heads on Fox talk about
"How is this different from Bill MAher's talking about Ann Coulter?"

I guess they have to circle the wagons whenever Rush seems vulnerable.

I wonder whether Rush has begun to resinsert himself into the world of the rich druggie?

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
What would Jesus say about Birth Control, and Sex Changes??? The obvious answer is: who really cares, since no one pays any attention to what was said by Jesus that we have as testimony... The last thing anyone will have on earth who follows Jesus is wealth or political power, and the churches are first and foremost, about wealth and power... Surely, the church has better battles to fight even if Jesus never told anyone to fight...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Haha, I always refer to that as the Fox News 'nobody expects the truth out of our news' defense.

Cycloptichorn
How many in life have escaped the farm to get the smell of **** out of their noses only to find that in the dim light of memory that **** smelled pretty sweet... It is just such people suffering the disease of nostalgia for a time that never was because the here and now is so agonizing who turn to fux...
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:49 am
@Fido,
i was lucky in that in the 10 years i haven't lived in the country, i lived in mostly crappy city neighbourhoods where you could still smell ****, so i never had to resort to fox news
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:52 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

She was a public activist before the Limbaugh slur and she expanded that status afterwards.

Clearly Limbaugh wasn't asserting that she was an actual street walker. Anyone with half a brain realizes that.
Truth is an absolute defense against charges of libel and slander so if she sues (and she won't) the defense will have the right ask her about all of her sexual experiences.

In this case she is the sweet young girl who was assaulted by the mean man, a conclusion that we are predisposed to arrive at by the mass cultural message of 'Men SUCK!". The corollary of "women are wonderful" helps as well. Rush does not have a leg to stand on, as the facts dont matter here.
In fact; the facts do not matter here unless they are in some sense relevent... The presumption of innocence is a legal fiction in a court of law... No one accepts that a person hauled before the bar in cuffs is innocent... If we do not presume rights and honor of our fellow citizens without evidence to the contrary, then all politics is sham, and all civility is ruse... There are a lot of reasons for people to take birth control pills besides birth control, but if we are talking of a fellow citizen as entitled to her freedom and privacy as we are, then it does not matter what her reason was, and it does matter whether anyone was injured...Where is the victim??? Because if she is made a victim in the pursuit of her rights, then we are all the injured party...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Abstinence isn't free. Sure, there's no DOLLAR cost associated with it; but, you don't get to have sex, and that's an opportunity cost, as most people consider that to be one of the high points of life.

Cycloptichorn
It is because sex is one of the high points of life, and because a successful marriage is essential to ones happiness that people need to try on a lover before making the commitment to them, and this is only intelligent and understandable... If a church were to put its full weight behind marriage... If families bet on the success of a marriage and then got behind the bet, and if society threw its full support toward marriage, then the ideal would be for all to have a look at the parties involved, and for all to come to terms... Those days are gone forever...

It is for individuals to make responsible dicisions regarding marriage and the conduct of their lives... And, for a number of reasons, there are a lot of lost causes out there looking for a relationship to carry their emotional baggage... If psychopaths in upper management are found at four times the average on the street, it is possible to presume that many in college and especially in law school are psychopaths or have some serious mental or emotional issues not obvious or even evident at first glance... If we expect the individual to decide who to marry, it is only wisdom to allow them the time to play at marriage before becoming serious about it...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:10 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Abstinence isn't free. Sure, there's no DOLLAR cost associated with it; but, you don't get to have sex, and that's an opportunity cost, as most people consider that to be one of the high points of life.

Cycloptichorn

Agreed. Ditto (mostly) for the rhythm and withdraw methods.
Well, the church laid that mortal sin nonsense on my mother for using the pill, and so they were stuck with Vatican Roulette, and clearly they were not shooting blanks judging from my younger brother and sisters... Most people really can afford more children than they have, but are prudent enough to consider their circumstances and make allowances for emergancy... If the church wants people to have children- as many people really want to do, then they should make a stand for social justice and never cut and run... They stand by while people suffer injustice, low wages, and indignity; and then wonder why people are in no great rush to share their miserable lives with innocent children...The churches are all guilty...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:23 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Makes you wonder doesn't it how many people are costing us $80 a month when the same effect can be had for $15. Maybe this is a place to save this nation some serious money...lets get these women on the cheaper choice.
Let's??? your talk is why so many women are card carrying, dues paying members of the IHMS... You ought to let women decide for women... Given a choice, there are many in this world who will not reproduce their own indignity and poverty in an infant... If men actually expect women to breed with them, they should help them to want to breed with them, and start by given them lives they are happy to share... We give women nothing but ****, no respect; lower wages, a difficult time all around...They very often have to be twice as good to get half as much, and men get to excuse themselves for being assholes because all men are assholes... Don't be one...

Some things are a women's right, and if she is free then she has at least freedom to share with children, and it is possible for her to breed freedom into her children because no one can give what they do not possess... Look at the women of Greece... When women were reduced to a status just above a slave, they would not share their life with daughters, and the men were happy to see female infants left exposed on the rocks... As the houses of Greece fell empty for want of a wife or a mother, those women who were left found being a consort of many men more respectable and better paying, than being a wife to one... We can do better...
DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:51 am
@Fido,
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431452_282696578465087_148995391835207_623778_672571677_n.jpg
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:58 am
@farmerman,
I personally do not like Bill Maher because I think he is disrespectful of everything including women, I find him a gross individual. The only difference is that Bill Maher has already got kicked off ABC station and is on HBO where he don't have sponsors or advertisers. He has come into defense of Rush Limbaugh. Not surprising.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:19 am
Limbaugh's Justification For Attacking Fluke Is Nonsense

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh's ugly attacks on Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke have centered on the idea that she -- and other women who think birth control should be covered by health insurance -- "wants all the sex in the world whenever she wants it, all the time, no consequences." For support, Limbaugh has referenced a CNS News blog post by CNS communications director Craig Bannister that's headlined "Sex-Crazed Co-Eds Going Broke Buying Birth Control, Student Tells Pelosi Hearing Touting Freebie Mandate."

The blog post obsessed about the cost of condoms and postulated that $3,000 -- the amount Fluke said some female Georgetown students pay for three years of birth control -- could buy enough condoms to have "sex 2.74 times a day, every day, for three straight years."

First of all, Fluke wasn't talking about condoms -- she was talking about birth-control pills. And when used as contraception, birth control pills must be taken regularly to be effective, regardless of how much sex the user is or isn't having.

As libertarian law professor Eugene Volokh noted on his blog:

The logic makes no sense. There's nothing substantive in common between being paid to have sex, and having contraceptives be provided by a health plan. (Would you call a man a gigolo because he uses a condom that he got for free from some university giveaway?) The allegation that somehow Ms. Fluke is "having so much sex" strikes me as misunderstanding the way birth control pills work: You have to take them all the time even if you're having sex only rarely, and even if you're having sex with only one person (I mention this because the implication seems to me that Ms. Fluke is being promiscuous).

And second, Fluke's testimony wasn't about sex. Much of her testimony was about women who take birth control for medical reasons, rather than as a contraceptive, including the story of a friend who was taking birth control to prevent cysts from growing on her ovaries and ultimately had to have an ovary removed:

A friend of mine, for example, has polycystic ovarian syndrome, and she has to take prescription birth control to stop cysts from growing on her ovaries. Her prescription is technically covered by Georgetown's insurance because it's not intended to prevent pregnancy.

Unfortunately, under many religious institutions and insurance plans, it wouldn't be. There would be no exception for other medical needs. And under Sen. Blunt's amendment, Sen. Rubio's bill, or Rep. Fortenberry's bill, there's no requirement that such an exception be made for these medical needs.

When this exception does exist, these exceptions don't accomplish their well-intended goals, because when you let university administrators or other employers rather than women and their doctors dictate whose medical needs are legitimate and whose are not, a woman's health takes a back seat to a bureaucracy focused on policing her body.

In 65 percent of the cases at our school, our female students were interrogated by insurance representatives and university medical staff about why they needed prescriptions and whether they were lying about their symptoms.

For my friend and 20 percent of the women in her situation, she never got the insurance company to cover her prescription. Despite verification of her illness from her doctor, her claim was denied repeatedly on the assumption that she really wanted birth control to prevent pregnancy. She's gay. So, clearly, polycystic ovarian syndrome was a much more urgent concern than accidental pregnancy for her.

After months paying over $100 out-of-pocket, she just couldn't afford her medication anymore, and she had to stop taking it.

I learned about all of this when I walked out of a test and got a message from her that in the middle of the night in her final exam period, she'd been in the emergency room. She'd been there all night in just terrible, excruciating pain. She wrote to me, "It was so painful I'd woke up thinking I'd been shot."

Without her taking the birth control, a massive cyst the size of a tennis ball had grown on her ovary. She had to have surgery to remove her entire ovary as a result.

On the morning I was originally scheduled to give this testimony, she was sitting in a doctor's office, trying to cope with the consequences of this medical catastrophe.

Since last year's surgery, she's been experiencing night sweats and weight gain and other symptoms of early menopause as a result of the removal of her ovary. She's 32 years old.

Finally, Limbaugh claimed that Fluke and supporters of the Obama administration's policy "want the contraception free." The idea that Fluke and other Georgetown students want something for nothing is silly.

The annual cost of Georgetown's student health insurance this year was $1,895.

These students are already paying plenty for their insurance. Asking that a health care product as ubiquitous as hormonal birth control be covered under an already costly plan is not unreasonable.

(links embedded at the source above)
parados

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
With birth control pills costing $9 a month at Walmarts and public clinics giving them away fro free in 75% of the counties in the US, how many women in Georgetown do you think are paying over $3,000 a year for birth control?

Since she NEVER SAID anyone was paying $3,000 a year for birth control who is playing fast and loose with the truth?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:35 am
@revelette,
Quote:
Rush Limbaugh's ugly attacks on Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke have centered on the idea that she -- and other women who think birth control should be covered by health insurance -- "wants all the sex in the world whenever she wants it, all the time, no consequences."

I don't understand why it matters what the reason for the prescription is. If it's for sex, it's for sex. Why is it our (or the insurance company's) business?

(Other than the fact that insurance companies look for any reason in the world to deny coverage. Meanwhile, they no doubt had to pay for the emergency room visit and surgery for the lady in question. How dumb is that?)
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:36 am
@DrewDad,
Factually insurance companies want to pay for contraception. Obviously it saves them money.