Hero or digital vigilante?

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 02:42 pm
Quote:
Cell phone jammer admits to 'taking the law into his own hands'

A cell phone jammer in Philadelphia has admitted to blocking the phone calls of his fellow public transportation riders.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0302/Cell-phone-jammer-admits-to-taking-the-law-into-his-own-hands

So? What do you think? Is this guy doing the public a service or a disservice? Is he committing an act of civil disobedience or is he just a technophobe who just doesn't get the cell phone generation? Should more people be carrying around cell phone jammers to block cell phone usage on public transportation? What do you think about cell phone use on commuter trains, subway trains, and public buses?

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 02:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Jammer is terrible.

I get very annoyed at people speaking on cell phones when they're driving.

The rest of it doesn't bother me THAT much but I have a huge advantage in that I'm deaf so I can ignore it all if I want to.

It does bother me inasmuch that it seems to cut people off from their fellows. I was thinking of that the other day when I was in a long line... people used to be more chatty in these sorts of situations, here pretty much everyone was on their cell phone.

But chattiness does happen, too.

Meanwhile, a jam would seem to jam texts as well and I object to that wholeheartedly. I send a lot of important texts and expect to be able to. If some jammer made it so I couldn't tell my daughter I'd be late to pick her up, OR contact a friend of mine to take her home instead, OR my husband to let him know what was going on, or anything, I'd be extremely pissed.

(Would this jam emails too?)
roger

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 03:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
You mean, someone is denying others a service for which they have paid hard earned cash? Sounds criminal to me.
Irishk

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 04:07 pm
@roger,
He shoulda just used one of THESE to shut up the cell phone yappers.

Quote:
The speech jamming gun has got to be one of the more interesting inventions that we’ve come across recently. Created by some researchers in Japan, it is a handheld gun that can jam the words of speakers who are over 100-feet away.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 09:59 am
@tsarstepan,
It's just wrong to do.

Whereas it is annoying, there has always been too much noise. Are we annoyed now because it's a cellphone or because we only hear one side of the conversation? In the old days on buses, trains in the streets, parks, etc. people talked loudly but they talked to each other in front (or in back or to the side) of us. We got the entire conversation. When a cell is used it's a matter of not getting to learn everything that transpired.

I've never thought about using the cell while on a mode of public transportation, and not even in a cab.

He must be fun at other places as well. People gab endlessly in restaurants....on the cellphone and seated across from their dinner companion. Get him in there now!

The man should be horsewhipped.
engineer

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:34 am
@tsarstepan,
I've been tempted this direction before (cell phone jammers are cheap in Europe and while using one is illegal in the US, owning one is not) but I'd never actually use it. You never know when it's a doctor an emergency call or a parent helping a child.
BillRM

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:38 am
@tsarstepan,
Many many decades ago I put together a TV jammer and when had fun at a sport bar when an important game with a lot of money riding on it was being shown.

i am sure I would had needed medical care if anyone had figure out why they was losing the signal during important plays.

Shame on my youngerself...............
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:40 am
@Sturgis,
It is OK to use a cell phone on the train as long as you are using speaker phone mode.

Actually I have never been bothered at all by people using cell phones on the train. Something called public transportation implies that you are going to be with lots of people. Expecting the silence of solitude is a little unreasonable.

Cell phones at restaurants or movie theaters really bother me. Cell phones on the bus, not so much.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:45 am
@tsarstepan,
There are times when I think that jamming could be OK, such as in a theater. We've all made a social compact to be quiet, and to enjoy the performance together.

Public transportation is public, though. He has no right to impose his idea of social order on the rest of society.
BillRM

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:51 am
@DrewDad,
Sorry but I had 90 year old mother with medical problems and I am the one that need to approve any needed treatments so I need to have a working cell phone where ever I am.
Mame

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 03:24 pm
@BillRM,
Nothing wrong with that, but don't talk in the theatre. Better yet, don't go. People pay money to enjoy the show, and it's disrespectful to them and the actors to have cell phones ringing. It's also disrespectful if you have it on vibrate and have to disturb half the row of people so you can leave to answer it. It's not just disrespectful, it's downright ignorant.
Mame

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 03:26 pm
@engineer,
I think it's extremely nervy of someone to impose his/her demands on other people. Is he also going to monitor conversations between two riders on the train? Who is he to decide who can and can't talk on their cell? What if he doesn't like people using their laptops or listening to their iPod?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:01 pm
@sozobe,
I agree with your comments, Soz.

My own tip top aggravation point came when I was in what I consider the main aisle of my local grocery: the eggs, bacon, cold cuts, cheeses, butter and faux butter on one side and the juices, yogurts, milks on the other; aisle usually blocked at least by the fellow stocking the shelves, and by others deciding on bacon or not. Sometimes that aisle is a cluster clash. The other day, there was a Petunia with her cell and cart moving fast with attention only to her phone. Nearly ran two of us over, while talking loudly. Sort of like a buffalo in a china shop. Insensate.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 05:30 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Nothing wrong with that, but don't talk in the theatre. Better yet, don't go. People pay money to enjoy the show, and it's disrespectful to them and the actors to have cell phones ringing. It's also disrespectful if you have it on vibrate and have to disturb half the row of people so you can leave to answer it. It's not just disrespectful, it's downright ignorant.

Cell phones ringing?

All cell phones models that I know of can be set to vibrate.

And I go to movies fairly often and if been since the last Harry Potter movie came out that a theater was so crowd that you would need to climb over people to get out.
0 Replies