The Virtual Storytellers Campfire

cavfancier

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:25 pm
The absolute facts as they happened Edgar. It was a strange, transcendent night for all who were there.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:25 pm
The absolute facts as they happened Edgar. It was a strange, transcendent night for all who were there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:33 pm
Bada bing.
Good tale, cav.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:50 pm
Reminds me of stuff. All those bings stack up. I suppose I am going to have to break down and join in.
Will be back.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:28 am
Cav, Edgar, BBB, Gus, Jackie, Drom...everyone here is very talented!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:00 pm
I decided to try my hand at this.

The North Woods

An almost dry and cracked riverbed marked the never ending drought as it devoured young sapling trees and seedlings. It was the hottest summer I could ever remember. The heat from the sun was bearing down upon my shoulders, almost making me wish I'd never have come here.

In the far distance, I could see the large winding lake, and envisioned it, frozen from the passed bitter winter, with ice so thick, I could almost walk to the other side...this welcomed, subliminal thought, cooling me down for a mere fleeting moment.

As I slowly jogged through the shady woods, grasses crackled beneath my feet and sweat clung to my face. Small flies and mosquitoes surrounded me, thirsting. I swatted at them as I wiped the sweat away with my sleeve. Along a narrow worn path, I stooped down to catch a glimpse of thousands of red ants, working diligently upon an old hallowed log; it seemed their never ending work created a rhythm completely intoned with nature.

Gnarled roots beneath my feet, kept me going in an uneven gate as I traveled down a small sloping hill, first tripping on a large fallen limb, then sliding the rest of way down and landing on my knees. The endless chatter of birds continued high up in the trees as I brushed myself off and entered a deep thicket. Wild strawberries were scattered in endless delicate patches along my path. I stopped to gather a few to eat only to find many were shriveled and dried by the lack of moister in the earth.

As the heat became evermore unbearable, I stopped to take a drink from my canteen. The cooling water slid down my throat, chin, and neck, as I drank almost greedily, and then pausing for only a moment to memorize the landmarks needed to find my way back. Getting my sense of direction twisted up in the woods was an easy thing to do, yet, I continued on, feeling sure that I hadn't lost my way.

Beyond the maples and birch bark trees, I entered a wooded like cavern of shaded darkness. I was adjusting my eyes to see more clearly, when I spied a young Doe watching me from a distance of not more than twenty five feet away. She was so still as if she were a lawn ornament in the front of someone's yard. Somewhat startled, I held my breath as I looked her over...a very rare and pleasing occurrence. I sensed she was afraid of me, but also very curious as she lingered much longer than I had anticipated. I began to speak softly to her, soothingly, as her ears flickered back and forth from each soft word that came from my mouth...endearing words that told her there was nothing to fear. Her nostrils flared as she caught the scent of me, yet she inched closer as if she was telling me the same thing. Our eyes met as we stared at each other for quite a long while. I felt as if time had stood still, when suddenly, in the distance I heard the low deep nasal pitch of a Buck snorting his warning call. The Doe looked at me for just a moment longer, and then bolted, her hind legs rising up and down in the air as she quickly ran towards the sound from her mate.

I leaned against a large tree smiling to myself, daydreaming, and gathering my thoughts, when out of nowhere, a sudden strong burst of wind, pulled at me and brought me back to the present. I moved quickly and found myself entering a bright clearing, where the tips of tall firs swayed heavily to the beat of the wind. Dark clouds began to gather in the blue sky and the hot stiflingly breeze from the south began to cool, leaving goose bumps up and down my arms. The dusty stale air became fresh with the smell of fragrant pine and wild flowers. A storm was definitely on the way, inviting the much needed rain. I moved slowly up the hill, enjoying the gusty northerly breezes, until I found the main road and headed for home.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:09 pm
Most evocative - You actually had me there in the scenes you described, colorbook. Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:25 pm
Thanks Edgar, writing short stories is something new to me.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 10:58 am
So, keep on wrting colorbook--- nice reading.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:37 am
I enjoyed colorbook's story immensely. A very nice story, well told. The whole woods thing with the chance encounter with the animal reminded me of a story that happened to me as a young lad. It, too, took place in the woods. The images are still fresh in my mind.

The Picnic

A day in the woods with a really hot cheerleader.

It was a perfect day for a picnic. The temperature was around 75 degrees. A very slight breeze caused the grass to dance slightly and billowy white clouds drifted slowly by.
We were in a small clearing tucked in the woods. Me and Mary Lou Rederski, the blonde bombshell cheerleader from Beaver Creek High School.
I had met Mary Lou the previous week when my high school, Acorn Hills High, played a game of football against her team, the Beaver Creek Hellcats.
It had been an extremely intense game, but we won in the final seconds when I threw the winning touchdown pass to Ralph Kliner. Ralph is a tall skinny redhead who is still a virgin and probably will be for life. He's a hell of a nice guy, but doesn't have much in the looks department and he has open sores, bad breath, and a weiner the size of a thimble. Poor guy.

But anyway, Ralph dives in the endzone to catch the winning touchdown and as he fell to the ground I caught my first glimpse of Mary Lou.
She was stunning! Even though she was dejected because of her team's loss -- her pom poms hung limply by her side and her face was strife with agony -- her true beauty glowed like one of those firebugs you see down by Bertelson's Creek.

While the rest of my team was piling on Kliner in a euphoric celebratory orgy I strode toward Mary Lou. I figured, hell, let those guys writhe around like a bunch of gay guys in a Roman bath house; I'm going after the broad.
"Hello", I said, "My name is Buck Studley, the quarterback of this here team. I'm sorry your team lost, little missy. Now wipe away those tears and give ol' Buck a big kiss."
"But, Buck" she replied, "I hardly know you. And I feel so dejected right now with my team losing and all, that I just don't know if it would be appropriate to give the opposing quarterback, one that I don't even know, a kiss."
"How about joining me for a picnic then?" I asked, "I know of a little clearing in the woods that would be perfect for a picnic. How about next Saturday? And by the way, what is your name, little missy?"
"My name is Mary Lou Rederski, Buck, and yes, I would love to join you for a picnic. Should I wear my cheerlearer attire?"
"Yes, that would be nice", I said, "and I'll wear my three piece pinstripe suit."

So there we were, in the clearing. Mary Lou practiced some of her cheerleader moves as I laid the blanket on the ground. I smiled at her girlish enthusiasm. She kicked her leg up in the air, the pom poms going crazy as she spelled out her team name. She collapsed to the ground in a state of exhaustion and watched me finish putting the silverware on the blanket. I had brought one of those big wooden baskets with the large handles and two hinged lids. Reaching inside I started to put the food on the blanket. A turkey, a bowl of stuffing, some green peppers, a bottle of champagne, a twelve-pack of Budweiser, a loaf of french bread, some potato chips, a quarter pounder with cheese, a couple of apples, some breaded shrimp, and two medium pizzas, one with extra cheese.

Mary Lou was quite impressed with my picnic skills. Her eyes glistened as she stared at the feast laid out on the blanket. She looked at me and batted her eyelashes and said demurely, "Bucky-poo, would you mind terribly if I had one of those turkey legs?"
"Be my guest", I replied, "but remember, after we finish eating, I expect some sort of sexual activity to take place."
She giggled as she attacked the turkey leg with gusto. I was amazed at her appetite. The two of us ate like there was no tomorrow. The bones flew through the air, the beer drizzled down our faces, and our cheeks bulged from the pizza slices. The sun was going down as we finished the last beer. The only thing that remained on the blanket were a few crumbs, the bottle of champagne, and the quarter pounder with cheese.
I grabbed the quarter pounder with cheese and threw in into the bushes. Reaching into the picnic basket I pulled out a metal bucket filled with ice. Placing the champagne in the bucket, at just the right angle, I told Mary Lou, "I'm gonna get a fire going. Then we can lay on the blanket and stare at the stars as we are warmed by the fire and the champagne."

"Would you like me to start undressing, Buck?" she asked.
"Nah, save that for later. Look around for some firewood."

Soon darkness fell, but by then we had a roaring fire going. We sat on the blanket and sipped champagne and discussed our plans for the future.
"I didn't realize they had security guards at the White Castle, Buck? Do you really think you could get a job there?"
I assured her I could, if I could pass the rigorous physical exam all White Castle security guards must go through. I had already passed the written exam.
She sighed and put her head on my shoulder. "My big strong security guard" she whispered.

It was a magic moment. I stroked her hair as we stared into the fire. We were both comfortable with the silence. The only noise to be heard, beside the gentle crackling of the fire, was the rustling from my jeans as "littlebuck" began to stir.

"Buck?", Mary Lou said quietly.

"Yes?

"Would you mind if I beat you about the face with my pom poms? It's a foreplay I rather enjoy."

I was just about to answer her when all hell broke loose. A large grizzly bear smashed into the clearing, the telltale signs of the quarter pounder with cheese hanging from its mouth. There was a little bit of that blue paper stuck on one of his teeth, and some cheese was still stuck to the side of its mouth.

I'm usually a pretty alert guy and should have heard the bear eating the quarter pounder but I had been caught up with staring at Mary Lou's cleavage as she stared into the fire and then littlebuck's incessant movement caused me to lose my keen sense of awareness for just a second. And that's all the time the bear needed to wolf down the quarter pounder with cheese and then... attack!

It was almost upon us. I reacted quickly and decisively. Grabbing Mary Lou, I threw her into the path of the bear. The bear was stunned, apparently not used to people just handing him lunch like that.

I ran. I did manage to look back when I hear Mary Lou's last scream. Her head was disappearing into the monstrous mouth of the bear. Then the mighty jaws clamped shut and the Beaver Creek Hellcats lost one hell of a cheerleader.

I returned to the site the following day to retrieve my picnic basket. There were fragments of Mary Lou's clothing strewn about and one of her pom poms hung from the thorn of a nearby bush.

Thankfully, my picnic basket was untouched.

I took one last look at the carnage and a tear trickled down my cheek.

"That could've been me" I thought, as I slowly turned and walked away, my picnic basket swaying gently in my right hand.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:47 am
I was the Beaver Creek quarterback. I always wondered what happened to Mary Lou, the one cheerleader at ole BC I couldn't lay. I thought at first she was just playing coy with me. But when she never returned I began to think Miss Pomfort, the girls' coach looked pretty good.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:39 am
Thanks Theollady, if I have time, I'll try my hand at another story.

Gus, I could see how my story reminded you of your encounter with a wild animal. You were quite a wild animal yourself, until that bear came along.
Your story, as always, is greatÂ…and you pack a great picnic basket!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:08 pm
hmm, gothboy checks and then marks.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 06:19 pm
Gus, YOU'RE THE ONE!!
Wonderful writer!!
(Man, I ain't NEVER going on a picnic with you, tho...)

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:17 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:14 am
colorbook
Sorry to take so long responding. I think you captured the suspense of the moment very well. I was gratified that the ending did not require descriptions of blood and gore. All in all, very good. I have a pet peeve that you've stirred up however: when I see the word dining spelled with two 'n's in the middle I get crazy. I know two persons who do it all the time.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 12:42 pm
Thanks Edgar, I'm glad you liked the story, however, I don't usually spell "dining" that way. Embarrassed Please don't associate me with people that aggravate you, by spelling it wrong. Laughing I'll blame it on my quick typing and the spell checking format of Microsoft Word.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 12:51 pm
Just kidding, colorbook. If we were judged by how often we make mistakes I would be near the top of the list.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 12:59 pm
I know you are, edgar...we all have those annoying pet peeves Laughing
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:01 pm
Metamorphisis and Costa Rica
Costa Rica is surreal.If you start to look too closely at things then maybe you'll get surprised.Like a gentleman named Selvin.Who had 2 colors for eyes, blue and brown.
What was strange was when Selvin wasn't around a dog was with those kind of eyes.And when the dog was around Selvin couldn't be found.
Because I stayed for a few months...I eventually heard about the shape shifters....
Even late night around a Tico fire of Bri Bri Indians jokes are made about those who shift shape.
0 Replies