Physician Assisted Suicide

Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Mame wrote:
The means are already there and people end their lives every day. I don't see why we need a law or a physician to assist, unless we're actually physically incapable of taking pills and swallowing them.

Frank Apisa wrote:
I think ordinary people may screw up the effort. They may think taking a bunch of pills will accomplish the suicide and only manage to make themselves vegetables. Having professionals give advice--and even assist in some way--seems reasonable to me.

I agree. Indeed, it's a fact that people screw up the attempt. I just searched the web for the term 'Suicide "success rate"'. The more credible resources I found offered rates between 10 and 20 percent, depending on what you count as an attempt. Perhaps we should have suicide counseling as we have marriage counseling. Counselors could talk to clients about their motives and possible alternatives. When the clients reject the alternatives, counselors should advise them on how to make their attempt succeed. This could be a very good thing, but we'd have to lift the social taboo around suicide first.
roger

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:47 am
@Thomas,
Fortunately, those social taboos are now more involved in not making a mess for someone else to clean up, and generally giving consideration to our survivors.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:56 am
i for one would much prefer a pill taking method or even an injection if I decided i wanted to die vs a gun shot or a drive off a cliff. Cleaning up after someone has shot themselves is more devastating than most things I know of. Believe me when i tell you that seeing a human body that , ehh, manipulated... is something that can destroy you. Even if you do not know the person.
Finding someone in a horrible car wreck is kind of the same though some where in our psyche we can rationalize the car wreck easier than we can the c shaped jaw line that is left of a human head due to a shot gun blast.

A physicial does not even have to be the one to GIVE you the pills . It should be legal to go to them for advice because .. yes, a pill overdose can leave you alive and incapable of everything. Most people do not KNOW how much to take, digestion timing, crushed pills work better or that they would need to have something to keep them from vomiting. There is a timing involved too with at home heavy medications... etc, etc, etc.

just knowing that tid bit could save an entire FAMILY pain. They could have that peaceful , fall to sleep kind of death they want instead of a violent , seizure filled accident.

it doesnt have to be the only option for a doctor to DO it.. but they should be allowed to explain how to do it properly with out getting slapped with a felony.

And Im sorry... we have drugs that will kill almost instantly. We use them in our prisons... there is NO REASON we cant use them on the willing public...
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:09 am
@shewolfnm,
And the drugs can be so effective.

I have to have an annual inspection of my esophagus. It requires a procedure under anesthesia. Each time I am amazed, because I remember when anesthesia was administered and the anesthetist would ask you to count backward from 100. Today, a voice says, "I'm going to put you to sleep now" and I respond, "Thank y...." and then immediately awake in the recovery room.

Wouldn't "thank y..." be a nice way to end this trip!
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
YES!! yes it would.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 12:51 pm
@shewolfnm,
Excellent post.
0 Replies