Ceramic *clink* *clink* *clink*

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:53 pm
I am taking a ceramics class, and I love it. Clay is more fun than I was expecting, although I am still interested in subtractive sculpture (marble!).

But that is not why I came here today.

Why I came here today, oh artistic brethren,
Is because I was carusing around the ceramics department when I spied some discarded ceramic (glazed, fired) in the trash bin. Not wanting to miss an opportunity, I grabbed a couple pieces and took them home. however, once placed in the silence of my home - Iv'e noticed that the pieces make an audible *clink* noise every 30 seconds - I can hear it from the next room over! It's driving me nuts. Do you think they will explode!?!?!! what's going on here?

I'd say they might be adjusting to temperature differences, but they were doing it in the bin too (at that point I thought it was my imagination.)
It was raining (do all ceramics do this when it rains?)
Or is there some kind of horrific misstep in process that results in this?

Please help! It's driving me nuts. I think I'll have to put it outside, as a planter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,440 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 02:04 pm
Wow!!! This sure has me baffled. Sorry I can't help, but I'm curious to see if anyone comes up with a reason.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:24 pm
Are you living in a tall, swaying apartment building?
Is your air conditioning pointed towards the ceramics?
Has one of your relatives died recently?

Are the pieces separated and making noise alone or are they laying on each other?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:32 pm
Where's littlek? she took ceramics.

or was it pottery?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:11 pm
odd certainly

they dont have mexican jumping beans in those things do they?

its just not normal
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:23 pm
Are you positive it's the ceramics?
I once had a horrible sound going on in my room for days until I discovered that it was a cockroach trapped in a coke can.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
individual..thats gotta suck

Ive had crickets...lost somewhere in the wall or behind a cabinet or something....thats pretty irritating all in itself
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:30 pm
Oh yes...
I once lived in arizona with crickets galore! In fact, I was so used to the sound that, after I moved, I couldn't sleep because it was too quiet at night.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:34 pm
yeah...my mother had that problem out there too....where you drove into your new carport of crickets, got out of your car, stepped ony our cricket walkway, and hoped against hope you didnt have a cricket rug.....Id have to move.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:39 pm
I'm fascinated too, and slightly envious, I'd love to take ceramics. One of my first clients when I was finishing landscape architecture schooling - I did my final project about her property - was for a porcelain ceramicist/then/photographer/now who had a couple of acres in Ojai, a classic modern house, and wanted a sculpture garden - where she could do ceramic imbedded walls and position various pieces, and would I also site/conceptualize a new studio. Sat next to her at a wedding, got to talking, and I got my Project and she got a big set of plans. Sadly, to me I mean, she sold the property very shortly after.

Anyway, she is one of the only people I have actually wanted to trade places with for a while. Gorgeous property, she was a really really good ceramicist, lived, I supposed, a cool life.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:51 pm
Portal Star: I'm thinkin' you've been standing to close to the kiln my friend! Some sort of toxic vapours are playin' with your mind!!

*just kidding* Very Happy

Individual wrote:
I once had a horrible sound going on in my room for days until I discovered that it was a cockroach trapped in a coke can.

Oh my...that would have been enough to send me over the edge! No matter what, I'll never get used to those things...especially the big kamikaze kind in Hawai`i. They fly and everything! *shudders*
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:57 pm
maybe they're very large and colorful mexican jumping beans? I have no idea.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:00 pm
There are very very big roaches in Mexico. I can well imagine the noise. Cockroaches, I mean. Oh, never mind.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
I've heard steel ping after being heated to the point where it recrystallizes, but never more than once as it stress relieves.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
Maybe a cockroach is trapped inside! Eeep!

That reminds me...I once heard (urban legend?) that the only life forms at ground zero at Hiroshima were roaches and rats. Gives ya pause for thought, doesn't it?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
I should change the above to mean, the only living life forms....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:17 pm
My house has lots of creak routines. Still, little ceramic pieces ooching out lil noises is - hey, Portal, there you go, teleplay or screenplay material, go, girl...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:48 pm
Individual wrote:
Are you living in a tall, swaying apartment building?
Is your air conditioning pointed towards the ceramics?
Has one of your relatives died recently?

Are the pieces separated and making noise alone or are they laying on each other?

laying on each other. Maybe I should separate them and see what happens. (But I think they were doing that in the bin when they were separate.) No dead, not that I know of anyway, but if that magazine salesman comes back...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:50 pm
Individual wrote:

GRROOOOOOSSSSS!

And yes, I'm sure it was the ceramics. Because when I came home, my roomate greeted me, frightened. She too feared for the worst: explosion!!! Er, maybe they would have exploded by now. My new theory is either that the glaze is cracking bit by bit, or pieces are slowly deconstructing themselves (although I have not seen evidence of this.)

Thank you for your half-assed attempts at comforting me. Let me know if ya'll find out anything, and I won't let you know if I explode.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:51 pm
Magazine salesmen may be bad, but I'm just grateful car salemen don't come to the door! Very Happy
0 Replies