Satirists needed

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:51 am
Well, I know from school: Difficile est satiram non scribere, and Aristotle said that the gods too are fond of a joke.

My only problem (besides the time) is that my fine humour (hear! hear!) is generally called cynicism (ugh!, yuck! ). :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:58 am
I can be funny.

(Bet you laughed at that!)

But I cannot play the satir.

(I thought that was spelled "sitar.")
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:59 am
Thanks for the nomination, pueo. I'm honestly flattered.

Now, is it sarcasm or satire that you need? Wink

I think I could contribute a piece or two and leave it up to Craven to decide if that's what he's looking for. Or maybe post a short piece on A2K to see if it's what people would read. I'll defer to Craven.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:00 am
Thanks Farmerman. Misery loves company.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:02 am
Frank- Are you sure that it isn't spelled, "satyr"! Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:28 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Frank- Are you sure that it isn't spelled, "satyr"! Laughing

That could be, too.

Oh, my aching hoof. :wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:46 am
farmerman wrote:
.... There was a question whether we would use amazon. com if it were linked through a2k. I would, if it would help, because I buy about 3 or 4 textxs a month and use Amazon as one of my favorite bookstores....

There's a link on the Home page. Yes, it helps. Thanks!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:34 am
So, the gf and I were talking about satyrs the other night. (Okay, really just thinking of various ways to call somebody a goatf*cker; I think it's really funny to call somebody the king of the goatf*cker's -- which is to say, Pan -- but she seems to find that the grandiose title detracts from the humor -- but I digress.)

Anyway, we were talking about satyrs: top half is man, bottom half is goat. It would be a very nice way to justify in one's prurient mind something they might see if they came across a goatherd and one of his charges. Sure, you could admit, "That man is having relations with a goat." Or you could tell yourself, "I just saw a satyr!" Far less disturbing. Naturally, then, goatherds would be inclined to worship Pan. Course, so would any number of libertines who understand what he really stands for.

And then there are the centaurs...

And the Egyptians, who put the heads of animals on the bodies of humans. Guess they're tastes ran a little more toward the passive end of Caligula's scale...
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:36 am
Why is it that the phrase 'dog and pony show' always makes me think of Catherine the Great?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:41 am
I could sing a lengthy Czech song about Pan here at this very point, but I shall not. Suffice it to say I'm up to any mischief. When is the off-site coming up? Too curious, I must know quickly.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:43 am
Noddy24 wrote:
This probably isn't the place, but the places that are places, I'm denied access to.

Yesterday I tried to request updates for two of Craven's announcements and was told I could not access these sites.

I have a new computer. Is this part of the problem?

Noddy, can you email support? Here's the link http://www.able2know.com/contact.php

You can use that when you have access problems for the best way to get help.

As to what it will be about this will vary. Basically I'm going to let each user determine this for the most part.

Here's how I envision it:

The domain is waggery.com, yes it's a damn cool name.
The software it will run on will either be a open source blog software like Moveable Type or it will be run off software that I've already prepared to plug into the forum. This has not yet been decided and I'm open to input.

There are technical considerations, namely that one integrated with this site's forum would have huge advantages but be hard to move to a new server, so there's a load balancing issue.

Anywho this will be resolved later on.

The theme of the home page and main "blog" will be satire. Think "Onion".

Beneath this there will be the option for individual blogs. These can be about almost whatever.

There might be a joke database added to waggery and maybe online games as well. But anywho it's just about having a funa nd funny site.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:46 am
dagmaraka wrote:
I could sing a lengthy Czech song about Pan here at this very point, but I shall not. Suffice it to say I'm up to any mischief. When is the off-site coming up? Too curious, I must know quickly.

Hellifino. The magic 8 ball's was kicked over teh weekend and isn't answering.

It would take me about 5 hours to setup, everything really depends on how soon I get other ducks in a row (e.g. decide on technical details etc).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:52 am
aaah, dem ducks. always so unruly, causing trouble. baked ones, with cabbage and lokshe, is another story.mmmmm.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:54 am
Craven - there's also WordPress. I've been looking into it a little for myself but haven't made the switch yet. It's supposed to be a great alternative to MT and more user-friendly.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:56 am
Watching the ducks in the river the other day I marvelled at the panpinniform plexus that enables them to stick their feet in the ice-cold water without freezing their blood.

I've got a similar plexus, but I won't tell you about it...

(God, what a geek.)

(Sorry 'bout the hijacking.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:01 pm
Sugar wrote:
Craven - there's also WordPress. I've been looking into it a little for myself but haven't made the switch yet. It's supposed to be a great alternative to MT and more user-friendly.

I had a look at the demo. Looks ok, the demo didn't show some pages so I'll install it on a box somehwere and check it out. Thanks for the lead.

The more I look at blog software the more I want to tackle an in-house solution. All of them have limitations I don't like.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:03 pm
Maybe if you advise CdK how to train his plexus, the ducks would get alined easier?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:31 pm
Hmmm... There are swimmers who benefit in both fecundity and organization from my plexus, but they be not ducks.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:32 pm
Do not know what either fecundity or plexus is, but I'd rather not speculate. I am a shy and well brought up maiden...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:44 pm
Hmmm. When did this happen?
0 Replies