College is trying to send me to collections.

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:08 pm
Hey. So I was selected at random from a previous college to have my income verified to continue receiving financial aid. I was informed of this after the deadline it was due by. And on top of that no one from the college offices explained to me what it means to be verified. I was then contacted by the school saying that since I didn't turn in the form on time that they would have to back out of my grant from last semester so now I have to pay them the entire grant back which was about 1500 dollars. I contacted the school and explained the situation that I wasn't informed on time and they didn't seem to care. Now they have sent me one bill thats due in 20 days for the full amount or they are going to send me to collections. The first problem with this is that how can they send me a past due notice when I havent even gotten any bills? And the second problem is I am legally supposed to have 30 days and not 20. I tried reason with the school but they will not cooperate. The bill is due in full in 20 days. Why am I being penalized for there mistake!? I have been reading up on how to deal with the collections agencies but I want to stop it from being sent to collections. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,308 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:53 pm
What kind of aid program is this?

roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 03:00 pm
@PUNKEY,
Sounds like the old Pell Grant.

My suggestion would be to pay the bill while continuing to protest. It's certainly the way to go when skirmishing with Internal Revenue Service.
Curt Suneson

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 06:04 pm
@PUNKEY,
Its just regular financial aid
0 Replies

Curt Suneson

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 06:06 pm
@roger,
The problem is that they won't work out a payment plan or anything. I don't want to send them any money if its still getting sent to collections.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 07:15 am
You would have had to be WAY behind for this to get to collections status.

I just heard someone on NPR say that Student Loan debt is larger than the credit card debt in this country.

I find that incredible.

roger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:46 am
@PUNKEY,
Might not be just how far behind one is. Could be they suspect the deception rises to the level of fraud.
0 Replies

Curt Suneson

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 09:57 pm
@PUNKEY,
The issue is that I shouldn't owe them this money!!! If they had just informed me on time that I was selected to be verified then this would not have happened! It is the colleges fault but they do not understand this. Oh and this was a grant, not a loan. So it shouldn't have had to be paid back
0 Replies