Keeping Abreast Of The Superbowl

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:42 am
Okay, it was inappropriate, in poor taste.

So fine CBS, MTV and maybe even bring charges against Janet and Justin.

But do we need taxpayer dollars spent on an investigation? What the hell is to investigate? We all saw the tit, and we all know what happened.

Is it possible that the bush inc. machine sees an opportunity to keep this "moral outrage" on the screen of Americas' tv's as long as possible to divert attention from the fact that the bush inc. house of cards is looking kind of shaky and to strengthen their stock with the "morally upright" citizens of this country who feel that an exposed breast is more important than the slaughter of thousands in an unecessary war?

Let's get real folks, this is a blip on the screen. Let's treat it that way. Rolling Eyes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A5746-2004Feb2?language=printer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 780 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 08:08 am
I find interesting that the FCC can order an immediate investigation into an exposed breast broadcast during the Super Bowl, but the Justice Department continues to drag its feet on an investigation into the the leaking of the name of a CIA agent.

Not to mention administration stonewalling on the 9/11 inquiry.

I suggest that the tireless watchdogs and the limitless funds of the FCC be brought to use on the more important issues facing our country today.

As soon as possible.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 08:10 am
I am very upset about this incident, and my distress has nothing to do with poor taste. I lived through the era of the Hayes office, where you could not say "pregnant" on screen, and married couples slept in twin beds with a night table between them in films.

I think that what has happened is that the pendulum has swung very far in the other direction, since that time. Unfortunately, we have a very strong group, both in the administration, and in the country, who would like to see things go back to the days of the Hayes office.

I think that Janet Jackson only fueled the fire, and strengthened the case of the ultraconservatives. That there is to be an "investigation" into what is to me, at worst, a "tempest in a teapot" indicates to me that the bluenoses have amassed a level of clout in this country that could be dangerous to our hard won freedoms.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:05 am
There are several issues here.

One is that somehow the idea of exposing a woman's breast is entertainment. It is cynical indeed. And the fact that the woman in question is Janet Jackson, from arguably the weirdest show business family in America as well as the family most addicted to plastic surgery, makes it worse.

I do feel however that the talking head who ranted on about an intrusion into "sacred space" is nuts.

The Superbowl has become a festival. And festivals are times when ordinary standards of behavior break down. There was, however, the hypocrisy of CBS' refusal to air the ad from MoveOn.org because it was seen as advocacy and therefore in bad taste. However, the exposure of Jackson, which must have been known (there had to have been rehearsals) and could not have been accidental (as a commentator pointed out, she seemed to have been wearing a pastie, something she would not have done if she had not prepared for the event and she made no move to cover her breast with her hand) in the face of an event which is supposed to be minimally governed by taste points to a total subjectivity.
0 Replies