F#m7 Chord for Eb Sax

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this but, I couldn't find a better place, does anyone know what the Blues scale is on the Eb Alto Sax for the F#m7 chord? I would appreciate the help, I'm trying to improv to a peice and I can't remember the darn scale.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,076 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:03 am
A couple of years ago I could have rattled this off the top of my head. Two years of studying science and I can barely remember the C scale.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:17 am
OK, the F#m scale is

F#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E-F#

Then you do something to the seventh, for the seventh scale. I can't remember if its sharpened or flattened half a tone.

As I said, I used to know all this theory off the top of my head, but it's all gone.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:19 am
A chord on the sax? The chord is generally the first, third and fifth notes of a scale (played together, as on a guitar or piano), and the seventh for a seventh scale???????

Sorry I can't be more help.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:05 am
Ebm7.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:05 am
What satt said--
Concert F# = Eb on the alto sax. So, if the guitarist is playing a F#m7 chord, the sax should be playing Ebm7, i.e. Eb - Gb - Bb - D
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:08 am
See, I even missed the Eb part. Same sequence, different starting note.

And what's the rule for the 7. Someone may as well remind me while we're on the subject.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 02:02 pm
Wilso wrote:
And what's the rule for the 7. Someone may as well remind me while we're on the subject.

The 7th interval is flatted. So for instance take the C major scale. C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C. The B is the 7th interval. If you're playing a Cmaj7 chord you'l want to flat the 7th interval making the B a Bb.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:34 pm
Thankyou.
0 Replies

Aurora

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:22 pm
F#m7 chord
If the music is written for the saxophone, you should be able to use the F# blues scale to improvise over the F#m7 change. This scale would be F# A Bb B C E F#.
0 Replies

rorwizard

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:44 pm
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it, I ended up figuring it out by myself, but thanks for the responses, and sorry that I haven't checked back sooner, I've been very busy
0 Replies