Discovering The Mysteries Of Rice Krispyhenge

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 11:53 am
Discovering The Mysteries Of Rice Krispyhenge
February 10, 2012
by Robert Krulwich - NPR

Brock Davis plays with food, but not like the rest of us. He's a graphic designer based in Minneapolis, and this is what he did with Rice Krispies. He calls it Rice Krispyhenge.

Ideas come to him. He will be staring at something. It will stare back at him — but from a weird place. I've been hanging out with gummy bears most of my life, and I've never imagined a gummy "bearskin rug."

"Gummy Bearskin Rug" by Brock Davis.

Here's something he calls a "Java Jacket." He made it from the recycled paper you'd find on an ordinary coffee cup. It works the same way, keeping your fingers from getting too hot, but this is so much more stylish. Says he: "Your coffee should look its best, no?"

I agree, and the sleeves are fully collapsible, so you can disarm the cup, if you want. He says, "I like it best with them."

"Java Jacket" by Brock Davis.

Some cups, of course, have to be watched.

A piece called "Exhibitionist Coffee Cup" by Brock Davis.

"This was quite easy to make," he says. "Cut the coffee sleeve in half and tape it to back of cup. Cut a section from the back of the cup to make the hands. Tape it all together and draw a creepy face. Place it on a table in your local coffee shop and see how people react."

This is a tree house. But it's not on a tree.

Using broccoli, balsa wood and some glue Brock Davis has created a "Broccoli House."

An online design magazine, designboom, asked Brock how he spends his days. Does he travel a lot? Go for walks? He told them he has a routine:
wake up. drink coffee. play with my son and daughter. drive to work. (ride my bike in the summer) think in traffic. make things for clients. try to avoid meetings. go home. play with my son and daughter. listen to music. stay up late making things for myself. go to bed.

It's that stay-up-late-making-things-for-myself time that creatively seems most explosive — in these next examples, literally. He did these with a cauliflower stalk carved with an X-ACTO Knife and toothpick. He calls this one "Cauliflower Hindenburg" (after the zeppelin that burst into flames).
Brock Davis carved this replica of The Hindenburg using an x-acto knife and a toothpick.

And this one is "Cauliflower Nagasaki."

Cauliflower used to depict the mushroom cloud of a nuclear bomb.
Enlarge Brock Davis/Brock Davis

And finally, here's a little experiment not with food, but with food packaging.

Some of you may be familiar with Pink Floyd's 1973 album "Dark Side of the Moon." This is what that album looked like:

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
Courtesy of the artist

Brock discovered that there are Dorito packages that duplicate all eight colors on the Pink Floyd album. So, using a scissors and an X-ACTO Knife, he cut color strips from eight different flavor packages, Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger, Pizza Supreme, Nacho Cheese, Throwback Taco (Limited Edition), Toasted Corn, Salsa Verde, Blazin' Buffalo & Ranch and Spicy Sweet Chili, and assembled them to make his "Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd."

A rendition of the Pink Floyd album "The Dark Side of the Moon" made out of Doritos bags.

Some people have too much fun.

PHOTOS:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/10/146588988/discovering-the-mysteries-of-rice-krispyhenge
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 995 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 07:39 pm
Those are fun. I don't know why people always have to post raggy comments about how things like this are not news. You opened a link titled Rice Krispyhenge, were you really expecting pulitzer material??

Anywhoo...I enjoyed it, thanks for posting!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 11:17 am
@Aldistar,
I would say that you have good taste in posts. Smile Cool

BBB
0 Replies