Illegal dogs

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:35 pm
Quote:
Man's best friend is sinking his teeth into your home owner's insurance policy.

Dog bites now account for one-third of all home owner's insurance policy claims, costing roughly $310 million annually, according to the Insurance Information Institute.

Dogs bite approximately 4.7 million people annually, resulting in an estimated 800,000 injuries. With 70% of the bites occurring on the dog owner's property, it is important for home-dog owners to understand their potential liability.

http://www.nygreatlakesrealty.com/articles/010_whoLetDogsOut.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:45 pm
The AKC (american kennel club) has some very good information on this - including a chart of which breeds some insurers are blacklisting.

http://www.akc.org/love/dip/legislat/insurance_chart0702.cfm

a couple of samples of dog blacklists by insurers :

Quote:
pit bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, Chows, Presa Canarios, Akitas, wolf-hybrids, and Huskies.

Quote:
Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Chows, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, pit bulls or Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, Siberian Huskies, Presa Canarios
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:48 pm
Quote:
Finding Homeowners' Insurance
Did you know that in most states it is legal for insurance companies to charge homeowners higher premiums or refuse to renew a policy based solely on the owner's breed of dog? Surprising as it may sound, more and more dog owners are being told they will be dropped by their insurance carrier if they refuse to give up their dog, even if they are long-time customers and their dog has never bitten or attacked anyone.

http://www.akc.org/life/homeins/homeowners_inscenter.cfm

This is part of the reason I went through the process of akc cgc training for Bailey. He's now not considered a dog in over 22 states as he's completed his canine good citizenship training.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:02 pm
I would kind of like to hear from the German contingent on this. I clearly recall some very large breeds with their owners in restaurants and and passenger trains. I never heard of a problem, either. Um, this is not especially recent history, by the way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:05 pm
Ironic that . . . a few years ago, i heard of case (complete with video of the killing of the dogs) of three rotts a man and woman owned, who killed a kid on the block waiting for the school bus. The video shows local cops and quasi-cops (vigilantes?) shooting the dogs.

The couple were prosecuted as accesories before the fact to murder. The man plead, and the woman, a German immigrant, decided to fight it. They divorced. Quite the case . . . don't recall any names . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:17 pm
Pero de presa Canario- The Canary Island Dog, and the Pero de presa Mallorquin are bred from the now extinct
Bardino Majero. Looking at the mug shots of these two breeds tells me that I wouldnt wanna have one angry at me. they were bred for bullbaiting as well as dog fighting..
ehbeth, what kind of dog is your Bailey?

osso, Ernie, my main dog(catahoula) is a heel biter . I was kicking snow in his face on Saturday and he came around behind me an grabbed me by the boot back and kept dragging me backward on the ice until I lost balance which knocked me over and then he ran up growling really hard and started licking me in the face like he wanted to keep it up. He growls and wags his tail in a low happy fashion . He can draw blood in his roughousing but all I have to do is yell ow and he stops attacking immediately.
Stash, the backup dog (border collie) just sits and wont have anything to do with us morons
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:19 pm
FM, if you'll look at my avatar picture, you'll see Miss Cleo on the left, and Mr. Bailey on the right . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:28 pm
Is he a type of spitz?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
You'd have to ask the Girl, she knows all that stuff. I believe they are both infected with Pomeranian. Miss Girl also tells me that Pomeranians were of about that size before they were "bred down" to lap dog size.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:46 pm
hey there, farmerman.

Both Cleo and Bailey are thought to have Pomeranian in them. Both are too big to be purebred (all to the good, to my way of thinking) Poms. Bailey is s'posed to be part Buhund (which is a Norwegian spitz), maybe part Sheltie. No one can seem to figure out what the other part of Cleo is - the suggestions have included Chow, Bulldog ( ! ), retriever (she is truly a water loving dog) ... I found a site ... click for Icelandic Sheepdogs (who knew there was such a thing), which contains photos of dogs that look extraordinarily like Bailey and Cleo. Both of them are normally long-haired, double-coated dogs. Both have the notably stubborn spitz temperament.

A little boy in my neighbourhood has told me, in all earnestness, that Bailey is an arctic fox. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
Oh dog . . . now she's gonna want a puppy again . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

they look bigger in the avatar. I didnt get a lap size scale, perhaps if you had a cat in there for scale.
0 Replies

Setanta

Not lap size at all, Boss, although Miss Cleo is not deterred by that fact . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:51 pm
Some have bigger laps than others. In the north of Europe, in fact, there's a lap that's land-sized...

Er, a land that's lap-sized...

Damn it, it just doesn't work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:52 pm
good try, though, Boss . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:52 pm
My goal (according to the vet) is to get Bailey up to about 20 pounds, and to get Cleo down to about 20 pounds. That's reasonably lap-sized - at least in comparison to a friend's brother's Great Dane, who is convinced he is a lap-dog.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:55 pm
ahh , then I gotta stay with some spitz. They are cool dogs, very smart and , the book sez "playful"
Theres two kinds The kleine-about 25 lb and the mittel-about 40 lb., No mention of any antisocial tendencies .
I have the Eyewitness animal series by David Alderton. You got a dog -he has a picture and a rap sheet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:57 pm
Heres the thing....

When you start listing certain breeds, you start pointing fingers at those breeds. The problem with that is that I know a few exaples of breeds listed where proper care and training made for an incredible companion animal. At the same time, I personally also know where other dogs of the same breed that have problems due to training and care.

Specifically I am speaking of Pit Bulls and Rotweillers.

I watched two rots tear a part a bunny cage and eat the little things, and basically continue on to terrorize a neighborhood. It was found that the owner had not been home to feed or care for these animals for two weeks. They just looked across the yard and saw food, they became so violently hungry, they figured out how to get to the food.

I had a rottie who was one of the best dogs I ever owned. He was brought up with 5 kids from newborn to 12 yrs old. He was two when I got him and yes, he was protective and would attack anyone who used a threatening behavior but, you know...he was doing his job and he listened--was trained well, so it was never out of control.

I had a friend malled by a pit and she was seriously scarred all around her face from that vicious attack. This was from opening her door. The owner had been upset and had trained the dog to attack.

Another friend of mine has a pit and she is the sweetest dog...I cant even believe it really...she is constantly wanting to be the little lap dog with everyone-and to have someone not known come into the house and have a dog immediatley want to sit on their lap--well, thats just uncommon with most dogs.

While some breeds are naturally inclined to be of a certain nature you shouldnt hold all of them responsible for the others and their bad ownership.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
You know, Massachusselly, the first canine avatar i used (sorry, it's on another computer, so i can't show it here) was of an American Pit Bull Terrier-Boxer mix (sire and bitch both registered). He never hurt a living thing in his life, although he did not tolerate squirrels on the ground in his presence. He could reduce a five gallon plastic bucket to shreds in about an hour, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:04 pm
I'm with ya, Quinn. One of the nicest, and most successful, therapy dogs I've ever met was a Rottie. Beautiful boy - he always had to wear a baby bib, because he drooled so much when he was happy - and he was always happy.

I think what's happened though, is that too many people have taken on dogs they perceive as 'tough' dogs - and then socialized them in that way. The breed often takes the rap for bad owners. The result is what you see on the AKC insurance info pages. Most AKC registered Rotties and AmStafs are going to be wonderful dogs - and have owners that are interested in training - and they still get painted by that 'bad' brush.
0 Replies