Let's all jump on the Ka-ching! bandwagon

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:31 am
Poor Doctor Atkins. His body is barely cold, and now "Atkins-approved" menu items and products are popping up everywhere like a bad mushroom in some truly heinous restos, and at the grocery store. I predict that, as usual with fad diets, folks will buy into the "Atkins-approved" label and eat willy-nilly without doing any research into whether or not a turkey-bacon melt wrap from Subway is actually good for you. "Oh, it's Atkins, it's good for me" they will say. This reminds me of diets that allow hard candy as a treat, so folks end up eating an entire bag of Werthers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,263 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:56 am
You are so right, cav. Breyers has a new lo-carb, full fat ice cream. In my heart of hearts I KNOW that eating a lot of it will pile on the pounds, but what the hell, it's low carb. :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:57 am
Now, certain fast food QAtkins modifications include a sammich without any bread. So they serve it in a bowl. Cheeseburger in a bowl.
Im waiting for spaghetti and ------------, without the spaghettis.

PS welcome to a2K cavfancier.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:52 am
This morning there was a cheerful newspaper story about the "carb-less" pizza. Some enterprising pizza makers grease the pan and serve without the dough. Others simply assemble the tomato, cheese and various fatty meats in a Chinese take-our carton.

I'm a grocery coupon clipper and cents-off "bargains" in low-carb energy bars are all over the place. (Of course, there is no publicity given to the calories in these low-carb bars).

Kraft Foods is closing one--and perhaps two--cracker factories. Because of the low carb craze, cracker sales are down.

Last week I heard a local bore explain that the was on a Low Carb diet. For breakfast he had either oatmeal with sugar or buttered toast with jelly.
A little questioning indicated that his interpretation of "low carb" meant "stuff I like".

A little learning is a dangerous thing.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 12:21 pm
That's funny Noddy. Mrs. cav was at a Curry and Roti place who proudly displayed their "Atkins-friendly" lunch, curry without the usual side of rice and peas. Let's not mention that West Indian curries generally include potatoes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:47 pm
Cav--

Atkins has a Great Big Bandwagon.

Bright side, since the Atkins ballyhoo started (and the crusade against obesity) I've heard a lot less about Fat Being Beautiful anda consititutional right.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:37 pm
That may be true Noddy, but there are still holdouts. I still cringe every time I see a Payless Shoes commercial with that obnoxious balloon Starr Jones. Do you think the shoes draw straws to see who has to take the burden for the shoot?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:34 pm
Cav--

I don't watch television so my world is a prettier place than yours.
0 Replies