Is Anything Permanent?

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 07:32 am
@Etherman50,
The question of this thread is difficult, because there are different answers depending on perspective.
I think the universe is permanent. Change is also a permanent aspect of the universe. Think of a river. You fix your eyes on one spot on the water, and for a long time you can look at it, and it appears to be unchanging. But during that time a lot of water has run through it, and when you walk away it is not the same water flowing through the river as when you came up to it. So the river changed, but at the same time it didn't.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 10:41 am
@Cyracuz,
Yes, and even the banks that give the river it's shape have changed, albeit imperceptably. The pre-Socratic philosopher, Heraclitus, said that we can't step in the same river twice. He might have said that we can't even step in it once. The banks, the water and the stepper are, like everything, continuously changing. They are, in effect, "empty" processes rather than "substantial" things. Reality is essentially impermanent .
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 10:45 am
@JLNobody,
Yes. And more, remove any creature with the need for distinctions like riverbank, river, water etc, and we are left with no river at all.
0 Replies

krc950

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 01:42 am
@Etherman50,
according to the caloric theory energy cant be created or destroyed.. sounds pretty permanent
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:49 am
@Etherman50,
Etherman50 wrote:

I've Heard that Everything in the Universe will go extinct or die eventually. For example,mankind,the earth,Christianity,The USA,technology,pain,sorrow,life,death,the animals,this galaxy-and eventually the universe itself,will become extinct. In the final analysis,then,is there anything that is eternal in this universe except perhaps,the infinite black void? MR

No there is no reason to suppose that anything is permanent; but the law itself, call it the "Law of Change" is not itself the final law. It too is contingent. The entire world could become altogether static.

Welcome to hyperchaos.
Procrustes

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 07:54 am
@Ding an Sich,
There is no reason that anything is impermanent either. Honestly, I don't think we can know until we know for certain what there is to know about everything.
Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 12:26 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

There is no reason that anything is impermanent either. Honestly, I don't think we can know until we know for certain what there is to know about everything.

That's precisely my point! There is no "reason". Very Happy
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 04:29 pm
@Etherman50,
Your question itself shows a complete misunderstanding of what Everything is is, therefore what death is is. From the Universe perspective, there is no such a thing as Things, only Manifestations. And there is no such thing as Death, only Transformation.
0 Replies