Is Anything Permanent?

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 10:45 am
I've Heard that Everything in the Universe will go extinct or die eventually. For example,mankind,the earth,Christianity,The USA,technology,pain,sorrow,life,death,the animals,this galaxy-and eventually the universe itself,will become extinct. In the final analysis,then,is there anything that is eternal in this universe except perhaps,the infinite black void? MR
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,888 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Onesmus2011

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@Etherman50,
Love is eternal, for he/she who love will never dia.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 09:23 pm
@Etherman50,
Impermance seems to be fundamental to everything.
Procrustes

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 07:55 am
@JLNobody,
What if reality was truly infinite?
JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:30 am
@Procrustes,
What's your conception of "reality", "infinity", and "truly"?
Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:32 am
Permanence is overrated. I'm glad there aren't Apatosaurs and T. Rexs running loose in the neighborhood.
parados

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:39 am
@Etherman50,
Quote:
Is Anything Permanent?

Permanent even comes in colors.

http://www.lithcoproducts.com/images/CAP-SHARPIES.jpg
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
Of course, Set, you are talking about longevity as much as permanence. I think of "permanence" as an aspect of absolutism, something that NEVER ends or changes (well maybe it can undergo variations so long as it remains itself grossly).
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 04:11 pm
Death is permanent, everything else is not!
JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
Good, unless you think of death as something that does not exist. It is the absence of life, but is there anything after dying that is dead (permanently or otherwise)?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:31 pm
@Setanta,
Might help keep the kids off of my grass.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:04 pm
@Etherman50,
Our idea of the universe will not outlive us. We have only concepts. Reality is intangible unless we understand it to be our concepts. But more relevant to this thread, infinity is not the same as eternity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:35 am
@Questioner,
OK, but be prepared to shovel **** on an enormous scale . . .
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:30 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Impermance seems to be fundamental to everything.

Reality is what it is. Some say it is holographic, others say it's an illusion. I really haven't made up my mind. To me, everything is information. Infinity is paradoxical. And trueness just is.

You got to spell better. "Impermanence" is a concept I agree with. What I meant with my previous question was on the assumption that word meant something else. I do apologise.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:38 pm
@Procrustes,
Pardon the spelling. One thing we can count on: Ultimate Reality is what it is regardless of our beliefs about it. Although it is also important to realize that we live, to a large extent, according to our beliefs about Relative Reality.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:09 pm
@JLNobody,
Frankly, I believe we cannot even think and talk about "Ultimate Reality"; my only conviction about It is that it IS me, as well as you. It is not something to grasp cognitively (although I suspect contemporary theoretical physics disagrees); it is to experience immediately and "naively" (i.e., precognitively). All the rest, the language-grounded culturally constituted "Relative" Reality is ours to screw around with and argue about.
Procrustes

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 07:20 am
@JLNobody,
That is assuming that reality has types.
NoSuchThing

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:22 pm
@Etherman50,
Since by definition your question is also impermanent, so it really doesn't matter what the answer is.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:46 pm
@Procrustes,
Of course we are not talking about reality per se; we are talking about our notions of reality. In that context "types" is relevant, but will we ever have an empirical experience of different types of reality per se? Probably we can't even think about Reality, except to say, as Frank notes, that whatever it is, it IS . It seems to me that we experience that reality immediately and empirically, indeed ONLY empirically. Maybe for us it is consciousness itself (as opposed to thoughts about reality).
Pardon my rambling.
Procrustes

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 07:22 am
@JLNobody,
But it is only reductive to think of reality within the set of one particualr consciousness. Indeed for the observer, the consciousness of reality it percieves is only relveant to that one concsiousness but it negates others. Therefore a consciousness that is itself beyond itself may understand the all types of reality at any one time. But of course I speak of unproven things.
0 Replies