The espresso-coated steak shot heard 'round the world.

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 02:52 am
In preparing the steak, Jester spreads a coating of medium-ground Starbucks espresso roast on an oval-shaped plate and presses each side of the steak into it; the meat picks up roughly the amount of coffee used in a single shot of espresso. Then she pats on the restaurant's seasoning mix, which includes salt, garlic, onion, black pepper and other spices.

Once grilled, the finished steak has a black char and a thin crust, slightly less coarse than that of a traditional pepper steak. It has a smoky flavor and a moderate coffee taste, and it doesn't carry the bitterness one might associate with eating coffee grounds.

Other chefs have used coffee as a marinade or coating. Putting coffee in a recipe was a natural for Jester, a self-confessed java junkie who starts each day with a triple iced mocha and has straight shots of espresso later in the day.

"I'm here for 15 hours a day," she said. "So I've got to have something to keep me going."
-------------------------------------
Jack Broom: 206-464-2222 or [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,145 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 03:40 pm
Interesting. I have had ground espresso beans on vanilla ice cream with a dollop of scotch over it, and that's tasty, perhaps even without the alcohol... depending, I would guess, if it was a good supply of coffee beans in the first place. I also put liquid espresso in a walnut torta. Hmm, that recipe may even be here on a2k. Anyway, that is delicious..

just checked, it's the Venetian Walnut Cake - http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13305
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:09 pm
Yummy :-)
0 Replies