Missing School District Line by less then a mile..... help!

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 08:08 am
Ok so my wife and I are faced w/ a huge dilemma here, we just had a son so we still have 4yrs before we really have to worry about this. But we are in a not so good school dist, and miss the really good school dist by less then a mile. I pay taxes at the not so good school dist.
I guess my question is does anyone think there is any leniency, exceptions, or deals that can be worked out for people who are barely outside of the border.
I did talk to someone in the school and they said it's $1800 per child, per yr outside of the dist. I just dont feel like we should have to move a few thousand feet down the road just to be in the district. WE have a beautiful home, and don't wanna start over again. Does anyone else agree w/ me here?
So to sum it up who would I talk to about somethin like this , and are there any exceptions..Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,070 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 08:40 am
I see this all around my area. The differences in quality and delivery of services between school districts are wide and it really bugs me.

Some people give guardianship to grandparents living in better districts. Another single mom I know "rents" from a resident in the better district to meet the residency requirement.

The only other thing is to pay the tuition. Is it worth a little over $125 a month for what you believe is a better education?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:13 am
@newbeee2012,
Did you check with anyone involved in your school district? Some towns/cities allow children to go to another school district - what are your town rules when it comes to this? Sometimes there is lottery - sometimes if you getting buddy/buddy with a school committee member or town rep they may speak up on your behalf.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:18 am
@newbeee2012,
I agree with Linkat, definitely check.

I know that people who live outside of our district are allowed to attend if they pay a certain amount of money. I forget what that amount is, but it's less than most private schools and in most cases less than the housing differential would be. (Houses in a nearby district that is not nearly as good tend to cost less, in large part for that reason. People often move here for the district and are willing to pay more.)

I don't know details though of whether they have caps on how many people can do that per year, what the amounts involved are exactly, etc.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:36 am
@newbeee2012,
You are leaving out some details. Are the two districts in question in the same county/city or are they across a significant political boundary? Are they part of the same school system? Why did you select your house where you did if one of your prime considerations is the school district? Why is your school system not so good? Is there any expectation that the boundaries will be redrawn in the next four years?

Could you clarify a bit?
newbeee2012

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 03:38 pm
@engineer,
Same county I'm less then a mile away from the good dist. Not part of the same school system. I was single not married, no kids when I bought this house what did i care about school districts? Now i'm married w/ kids..
School dist is considered not so good by a lot of people i work w/ have had bad experiences...
Dont know if the boundaries will be changed or not.
0 Replies