Why gravatar?

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 02:12 pm
So, people, I heard that we cannot use animated avatars on this forum due to the fact that able2know is using Gravatar. Gravatar does not support animated avatars. My question is, why choose Gravatar if it's so limited?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,515 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 02:39 pm
@outgoingpeep,
A lot of people find animated avatars obnoxious. Their gimmicky allure is kind of neat for the first 2 minutes then they get really irritating due to their limited infinite animated loop.
outgoingpeep

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 02:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hmmm....it's true that some animated avatars are obnoxious, but not all of them.

Here is what I would like to post as my avatar:

http://www.diamond-webdesigns.com/webmastercentral/images/yinandyang1.gif
sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 02:49 pm
@outgoingpeep,
As animated avatars go, it's pretty nice.

But yeah, that would annoy me pretty quickly. It's been annoying me since about the first word of this sentence. In fact I'm making mistakes now because I can't wait to go ahead and post this and be gone!

So, yeah.
outgoingpeep

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 02:56 pm
@sozobe,
I believe it's a matter of opinion. I personally DON'T find it annoying. Also, in my opinion, I find some avatars of some users very obnoxious and they are not even animated. So, it goes both ways. I just think it would be nice if we had the choice of choosing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 05:46 pm
@outgoingpeep,
Quote:
why choose Gravatar if it's so limited?
http://able2know.org/topic/121252-1#post-3367680
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 05:50 pm
@outgoingpeep,
Please don't. Vomit city, no kidding. Do that on your own website if you want to.

Region's link goes to the owner of the site's opinion. In this case, I think most of us agree with him, but it is up to him what he goes with for this site.
He's had some wonderful avatars of his own in the past, but has made this choice.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 01:43 am
People used to have animated avatars on a2k. What changed?

I finally found something really cool that I could use as my avatar, but it really only works if it's animated:
http://orig07.deviantart.net/0606/f/2010/002/f/3/laughing_man_logo_gif_by_sushiman0001.gif
0 Replies