caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:59 am
I don't know if this is the proper forum for this question or not, but here goes.

I've been a vegetarian for just over 20 years now. I am not all that keen on the smell of meat being cooked, but I find the worst is ground beef. The odour is just nasty! It smells rancid to me raw and when it's being cooked I find the smell repulsive. Is this true for anyone else who is a vegetarian or vegan? Just curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,320 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:59 am
I am neither a vegetarian nor a vegan, but your aversion to meat smells seem perfectly logical to me. Cooking meat has an odor that is far stronger than most veggies. I can relate it to the aroma of certain cuisines that are very strong. I would react the same way to some of them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:12 am
http://www.peacefulpastures.com/photos/bf-patties-lg.jpg

Take a whiff, Caprice! C'mon, it's not gonna hurt ya.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:38 am
the smell of liver makes me gag. yet i can eat pates or liverwust. Soon as you cook it , Blaaacghghgh
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:31 am
The smell of lamb cooking makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I guess any fatty meat being cooked has some of that effect on me. There's a burger joint on a main road near my house that pumps it's kitchen vent out over the sidewalk. I have to hold my breath going by. I'm not fully vegetarian, I eat turkey several times a year.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:41 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
http://www.peacefulpastures.com/photos/bf-patties-lg.jpg

Take a whiff, Caprice! C'mon, it's not gonna hurt ya.

*LOL*
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:44 pm
farmerman wrote:
the smell of liver makes me gag. yet i can eat pates or liverwust. Soon as you cook it , Blaaacghghgh

Well pate and liverwurst is already cooked so you don't have to go through the odoriferous experience! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:33 pm
So, what do vegetarians feed their cats and dogs?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:40 pm
I don't have any pets so I have no answer for ya there. My parents have a dog, but they aren't vegetarians. Very Happy
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 04:43 pm
Metabolism. The body adapts to whatever diet it is fed.

If you eat a lot of sugar, salt, or fat
then your body changes it's metabolism to accomodate that,
and actually comes to expect and savor those components.
Eat a lot of sugar, and you begin to crave sugar.
Drink a lot of alcohol, and you begin to crave alcohol.

On the other hand, after a few years of being vegetarian the body stops
being able to digest meat. What's the point of supporting those extra enzymes?
Many of my vegetarian friends cannot eat any type of meat or they
will become physically ill and vomit the undigestable substance.

I currently eat meat, so the smell of a barbecue gets me salivating.
It's just pure conditioning! My body knows that food will be coming soon.
There is an association trained from repeated experience that links barbecue smells to digestive action.

The times when I've been a vegetarian, the smell of a barbecue has been repulsive to me.
My body knew that something foul and undigestable is being burnt in my presence.
It made me want to leave.

So it all amounts to what type of metabolism you live on,
and what kind of conditioning you've had for the last few years.

Another simple example: When I was 20, every day after work I ate a pizza while watching TV. After five months of that training, my body came to expect that pattern of input. For ten years after that, every time I was in a room with a TV on I started to crave pizza! The association was involuntary: watching TV leads to pizza.

It's too bad that most people don't use Behavior-Modification techniques to deliberately create *good* habits!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 04:52 pm
What's your explanation for chocolate? *grins*
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:14 pm
On a chemical level: Chocolate = sex.
They produce the same endorphines.

How often are we conditioned to think about sex?

Women who crave chocolate are often just starving for love,
and haven't taken responsibility for their own metabolic state.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:22 pm
Uhm. Okay. *raised eyebrow*
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:33 pm
Really? Tell us more about the biochemistry, smiley...
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:36 pm
Chocolate Love Addiction is a fascinating topic to Google!

Chocolate is a psychoactive cocktail -- Lots of chemicals listed.
perpetually in love -- the chemical capacity for "universal love".

Health benefits of chocolate - flavonoids, oleic acid, and more!
Quote:
If you feel you're addicted to chocolate or you constantly crave sweets, then you may have a deficiency of serotonin, a mood-stabilizing brain transmitter.

Oxytocin forms "Social Memories"
Quote:
Oxytocin released within the brain during mating in the female prarie vole leads to changes that bond the female to her partner (TINS 1998; 21:71-5). The release of oxytocin in the mother's brain at birth is also important in evoking maternal behavior, particularly if the environment is not conducive to this. Oxytocin has widespread actions on the maternal behavior circuits, at least in sheep and rats.
[...]
male mice with engineered inactivation of the oxytocin gene cannot form "social memories," that is, they cannot recognize through smell a con-specific to which they have been recently exposed.

What Is Chemistry in Love Relationships?
Quote:
Some people become veritable love junkies. They need chemistry or this chemical excitement to feel happy about and intoxicated by life. Once this initial rush of chemicals wanes (inevitable after six months to three years, depending on the individual and the circumstances), their relationship crumbles. They're soon off again, detectives seeking a quick fix to their forlorn feelings: another chemical high from infatuation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:49 pm
I do know about chocolate chemistry, to some extent anyway, but since I did ask, thank you for finding links. I was really reacting to your sanguine view of women's need to take charge of their metabolic status at any given moment.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:09 pm
Yeah! What ossobuco said! *grins*
0 Replies