Super Bowl Party menu?

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:45 am
I'm doing a Super Bowl party again this year. It's one of my favorite parties to throw, we have done it every year for the last 5 years. When I moved out to CA I was surprised to find out how few people actively watched football on a regular basis - though with the Niners doing better now, that has picked up a bit - and I couldn't even find anyone to watch games with. The party I threw our first year had three people at it, including myself and my wife! Last year, we had 40.

I usually like to do a 'marquis' meat dish, something different, exciting, yummy, bite-size and probably bad for you. But I'm having trouble coming up with a star dish this year. Last year we had biscuit-cups full of BBQ topped with cheese, the year before was Lil' smokies wrapped in bacon and covered in brown sugar and baked.

Can anyone assist with some suggestions for this year? I'm also looking for kick-ass Veggie dishes as well, we get a lot of non-meat eaters too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,623 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Given my location, you can't do any kind of sporting event party that doesn't involve Buffalo wings.

Buffalo wing dip is kinda old-skool but it is tasty and has Frank's Hot Sauce, which I can't live without (I keep some on my desk at work to pep up almost everything).

there's a good version of it here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/5-ingredient-fix/my-team-is-on-fire/index.html

I still think I'd like to make that nacho/guacamole football field I posted a pic of last year. Beyond decadent - probably 150,000,000 calories in it.

here's one variation

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/nfl/superbowl/article/760726

this one might be better - it has Twinkies

http://www.sfsignal.com/mt-static/images/snacks.jpg

the guys at holytaco.com built that one ^^^
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:21 pm
I like to have a dish or dishes that reflect the food culture of the area - but I'm not sure what that would be for Indianapolis.

Looked it up says - Breaded Pork Tenderlions.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The Jan/Feb. issue of Food Network magazine has a feature on Super Bowl snacks -- some look pretty good. Lots of slider ideas. 50 recipes.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:30 pm
@Irishk,
I happen to like chinese pork ribs, and hey, you're in the bay area.

Years go by before I get to a good chinese restaurant and I haven't made them myself in too long to recount, just a guess as 1980.

This recipe looks useful - I'm used to individual actual ribs myself. Had a recipe from a chinese tech friend, but can't find it in my saved recipes from friends notebook, but I remember she also roasted hers.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/chinatown_char_siu_ribs.html

edit, I looked up char sui in one of my cookbooks and found similar to the first link, and they used pork butt, not ribs like my friend used to.

p.s., sounds like a great gathering
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 02:02 pm
Good veggie dishes are really hard to come by, Cyclop…except that almost any veggies in small pieces and a bunch of different dips can go over very nicely.

I’m told that veggie fondues are great…and there are dozens of recipes for them on the Internet.

Also (jeez, I hate to bring this one up)…a great quiche can be well received even by macho football watchers. Just cut it up in small pieces.

Yo, Beth…I love that stadium. It is great! I have trouble, however, reconciling that dish with the woman I traveled with down 23rd Street on ravenous day a few years back. You eat veggies also???? Who ever woulda thunk it!
alex240101

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 02:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/miss-hildas-meat-and-potato-pie-recipe/index.html

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 02:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We do roasted Romanesko and Cauliflower as our go-to veggie dishes, but I was hoping for something with slightly more panache this year.

Great suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:41 pm
Here are some veggie dish ideas:

Tangy Carrots with Grapes

Serve cooked carrots everyone will love! Balsamic vinegar and brown sugar are the secrets to a tangy glaze for grapes and carrots.

Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:15 min
makes:4 servings (about 1/2 cup each)

1/4 cup water
4 medium carrots, cut into thin diagonal slices (2 cups)
1 shallot, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 cup seedless grape halves

1. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat water to boiling. Add carrots and shallot; cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until water has evaporated and carrots are tender.
2. Push carrot mixture to side of skillet. Mix vinegar and brown sugar in other side of skillet. Add grapes. Cook and toss carrot mixture, grapes and vinegar mixture until hot.

------------------------------------------------
Honey-Mustard Dilled Brussels Sprouts

The vegetable with the funny little name delivers big on cabbage flavor and they're just plain fun.

Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:15 min
makes:4 servings (1/2 cup each)

12 oz fresh Brussels sprouts
2 teaspoons olive, canola or soybean oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed

1. Trim Brussels sprouts; cut small X in stem end. Cut large Brussels sprouts in half. Place in 2-quart saucepan; add 1/2 cup water. Cover; cook over medium-high heat about 8 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to saucepan.
2. Add remaining ingredients to drained Brussels sprouts. Stir gently to coat.

----------------------------------------
Asparagus and Corn with Honey-Mustard Glaze

Sweet and zesty honey mustard glaze gives strong flavor to this 20-minute side dish made with asparagus and corn.

Prep Time:10 min
Start to Finish:20 min
makes:5 servings (1/2 cup each)

1 lb fresh asparagus spears
1 cup frozen corn
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning

1. Snap off tough ends of asparagus and discard. Cut spears into 1-inch pieces.
2. In 2-quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup water to boiling. Add asparagus and corn; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 5 to 8 minutes or until asparagus is crisp tender; drain.
3. In small bowl, mix mustard, honey and lemon-pepper seasoning. Stir into hot vegetables.

-----------------------------
Zesty Corn Combo

Chili adds zest to this colorful corn and bell pepper combo – a perfect side ready in just 20 minutes.

Start to Finish:20 min
makes:8 servings

1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
1 medium jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
2 bags (1 lb each) frozen whole kernel corn
2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook bell peppers and chili in butter 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bell peppers are crisp-tender.
2. Stir in frozen corn, oregano and salt. Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender. Stir in cilantro.

------------------------
Stuffed Vidalia Onions

Vidalia onions create a lively side dish that everyone will love.

Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:2 hr 5 min
makes:4 servings

4 Vidalia or sweet onions
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
2 medium zucchini, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
3 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped toasted pine nuts
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a small baking pan with foil.
2. Cut 1/2” off the top of each onion; slightly trim the bottoms so that the onions stand upright. Place the onions, cut side up, in the prepared baking pan and coat with cooking spray. Bake for 1 hour, or until soft. Set aside for 15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
4. Remove and discard the onion peels. Using a spoon, scoop out the onion centers, leaving a 1/2” shell. Chop the centers and reserve 1 cup for the stuffing; save the remainder for another use.
5. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini, garlic, thyme, basil, and the 1 cup chopped onions. Cook for 6 minutes, or until the zucchini is softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and stir in the bread crumbs, pine nuts, 2 1/2 tablespoons of the cheese, salt, and pepper.
6. Divide the filling among the onion shells. Place the onion shells in the same baking pan and top with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon cheese.
7. Bake for 20 minute, or until golden.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:57 pm
Here are some main-dish finger food ideas:

Pork Fajita Wraps

Lime juice, cumin, onion and bell pepper wrap up a bundle of great flavor in these no-fuss "fajita-wiches".

Start to Finish:35 min

1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 2x1/2-inch strips
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 medium bell peppers, thinly sliced
4 cilantro-flavored flour tortillas, (8 inches in diameter)

1. Mix lime juice, cumin, salt and garlic in shallow glass or plastic dish. Stir in pork. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, at least 15 minutes but no longer than 24 hours.
2. Remove pork from marinade; reserve marinade. Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook pork in skillet 3 minutes, stirring once. Stir in onion, bell peppers and marinade. Cook 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion and peppers are crisp-tender.
3. Place one-fourth of the pork mixture on center of each tortilla. Fold one end of tortilla up about 1 inch over pork mixture; fold right and left sides over folded end, overlapping. Fold remaining end down.
--------------------------
Peking Chicken Wraps

Try your hand at this takeout favorite at home.

Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 5 min
makes:6 servings

1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
4 green onions, sliced
1/4 lb snow peas, trimmed
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
6 whole wheat tortillas (10- to 12-inch diameter)
6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 cup shredded cooked chicken breast

1. Cook rice according to package directions; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green onions; cook and stir 1 minute or until wilted. Stir green onions into cooked rice.
3. Fill 2-quart saucepan half full of water; heat to boiling. Add snow peas and cook 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool. Pat dry and cut lengthwise into thin strips. In medium bowl, stir together snow peas, cabbage, carrot, rice vinegar and gingerroot.
4. To assemble wraps, lay tortillas on work surface. Spread each with 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce. Place one-sixth of the chicken in a strip along the bottom of each tortilla, 1 inch from edge. Divide rice and vegetable mixtures evenly over chicken. Fold over bottom edge of each tortilla to cover filling. Fold sides in and continue to roll up tightly, burrito style. Cut each in half crosswise with a serrated knife to serve.
------------------
Pork Kabobs

Enjoy these kabobs that are made using pork and veggies, a tasty dinner - that’s ready in 30 minutes.

Start to Finish:30 min

4 boneless pork loin chops, 3/4 inch thick (1 lb)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt or dried pork seasoning
2 small zucchini, cut into 12 (1-inch) pieces
8 medium mushrooms
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 12 pieces
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1. Heat gas or charcoal grill. Sprinkle pork chops with seasoned salt; cut each chop into 4 pieces. Alternately thread pork pieces, zucchini, mushrooms and bell pepper equally onto each of 4 (12- to 14-inch) metal skewers. In small bowl, mix preserves and vinegar.
2. When grill is heated, place kabobs on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill over medium coals. Brush kabobs with preserves mixture; cover grill. Cook 5 to 7 minutes. Turn kabobs; brush with preserves mixture. Cook covered 5 to 7 minutes longer or until pork is no longer pink in center.
--------------------
Surf and Turf Kabobs

A tangy teriyaki sauce coats sirloin and shrimp for this appetizer made on the grill. From

Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:50 min
makes:12 kabobs

3/4 lb boneless beef sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick), trimmed of fat
12 uncooked de-veined peeled medium or large shrimp, thawed if frozen, tail shells removed
1/2 cup teriyaki marinade and sauce (from 10-oz bottle)
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
12 bamboo skewers (4 to 6 inch)

1. Cut beef into 24 (3/4-inch) pieces. In medium bowl, mix beef, shrimp and teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, soak skewers in water at least 30 minutes before using to prevent burning.
2. Spray grill rack with cooking spray. Heat gas or charcoal grill. On each skewer, thread 1 beef piece, 1 shrimp and another beef piece, leaving space between each piece; reserve marinade.
3. Place kabobs on grill. Cover grill; cook over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, turning once and brushing with marinade once or twice, until shrimp are pink. Discard any remaining marinade.
Broiler Directions: To broil kabobs, set oven control to broil. Spray broiler pan rack with cooking spray. Place kabobs on rack in broiler pan. Broil kabobs with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat 5 to 6 minutes, turning once and basting with marinade once or twice, until shrimp are pink.

----------------------------
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 04:09 pm
We'll, if the Saints are in the SB you'll want to make some jambalaya or other NOLA specialties. I've got a great jambalaya recipe that I've posted here somewhere. I'll try to dig up a link.

Here's the basic description.
http://able2know.org/topic/137914-8#post-4617871
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 09:13 pm
MOINK balls. The recipe comes from one of my favourite blogs called The BBQ Grail: http://thebbqgrail.com/about/

I use fresh-cooked meatballs and cook them on the grill or even in the oven, depending on the season. Be sure to soak the toothpicks so they don't burn.

MOINK balls

•24 pieces pre-made meatballs (thawed)
•12 slices bacon
•Plowboys Yardbird Rub (or your favorite rub)

Raspberry Balsamic Chipotle Glaze
•1 cup raspberry preserves (seedless works best)
•1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
•3 cloves garlic (minced extra fine)
•Canned chipotles to taste (seeded and chopped)
Directions
Cut the 12 slices of bacon in half creating 24 slices.

Wrap each meatball with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.

Season generously with Plowboy’s Yardbird Rub or your favorite BBQ rub.

Smoke at 225 degrees until the bacon has become crisp to your likeness.

Glaze with Raspberry Balsamic Chipotle Glaze and smoke for an additional 10 minutes.

For Raspberry Balsamic Chipotle Glaze, heat through all ingredients. Make sure preserves are melted.

mckenzie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 09:20 pm
@mckenzie,
For a sweeter taste glaze instead with grape jelly and BBQ or steak sauce.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 04:40 pm
Vegetable pizza. There are many variations out there that call call for Pillsbury products. This is the Pillsbury version, though I use a homemade crust.

2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury Place 'n Bake™ refrigerated crescent rounds or Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations refrigerated seamless dough sheet

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup small fresh broccoli florets
1/3 cup quartered cucumber slices
1 plum (Roma) tomato, seeded, chopped
1/4 cup shredded carrot

Some versions use cream cheese, mayo and ranch dressing. I prefer the cream cheese, sour cream, dill and garlic combination.

You can use any combination of finely chopped fresh vegetables.

A little grated cheddar cheese overtop.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/gertie-mac1/img_1780.jpg
mckenzie

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 04:41 pm
@mckenzie,
Spanikopita triangles with tzatiki sauce.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Saw this post and thought of you.

The Most Extreme Super Bowl Party Recipes
Irishk

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 10:14 am
@engineer,
Omg, those recipes look AMAZING!!!

Thumbs uppppppppppp!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:49 am
@engineer,
America, **** YEAH! Winner.

Cycloptichorn
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 07:39 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/424039_10150536051562945_153850792944_9040800_159564673_n.jpg
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 08:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

America, **** YEAH! Winner.

Cycloptichorn

it's not every day on a2k you come across a Team America reference. nice

and the bacon wrapped meatball recipe sounds pretty sweet
0 Replies