Who are you voting for in the upcoming election and why?

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 09:16 am
I haven't really been active in (or even really cared about) politics until recently and I'm really just looking for other peoples opinions on this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 3,884 • Replies: 45

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 09:50 am
@Chights47,
Well, just telling you who I'll vote for probably won't inform you much though right?

What issues are important to you?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 09:56 am
Obama because I think he has done a good job in most areas; some areas he let me down, plus there is no way I would vote for a republican today. (I have a few times in the past, mostly local)
Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:00 am
Anyone who is not a Republican. I think the majority of them are the reason this country has become constipated concerning everything that is important. They are willing to throw America under the bus in order to make Obama look bad.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:00 am
@revelette,
OK, "and why" does add a lot, you're right.

I'm voting for Obama because I think he has done a good job in difficult circumstances, and can do much more with another term, and because I really worry about what any of the possible Republican nominees would do as president if one of them won.
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:12 am
@revelette,
I also wouldn't vote for just about any republican (especially Rick Perry) but I have heard some good things about Ron Paul, he's about the only republican that I'm actually interested in learning more about.
sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:16 am
@Chights47,
My own opinion of Ron Paul is that I'm happy that he's in the race, and especially in debates.

I like how he's anti-war and anti-bullshit in general.

I would absolutely not want him to be president, though.

Andrew Sullivan has a lot of posts on him, that might be a good place to start if you're interested in learning more. Here's his un-endorsement of Ron Paul (he endorsed him, then had second thoughts):

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/12/re-thinking-the-paul-endorsement.html
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:16 am
@Chights47,
It's unfortunately unlikely that you will get a chance to vote for Paul in the upcoming election - he's just too darned into Peace to be the GOP candidate.

I'm voting for Obama, b/c he's done a fine job running the country for the last few years, especially in the face of a persistent and assholish opposition, who cares more about getting him out of office than they do making sure the country functions on a regular basis.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:27 am
The more I learn about Ron Paul the less I like him. There is a place for people like him in politics, but I do not want him as the main idea guy for the country. I think he would set us back 100 years- and not in a good way.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:32 am

Who: Anyone but Obama

Why: Because this Republic is just too big to fail
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:15 pm
@Chights47,
I will probably vote for the Republican candidate,
hopefully Newt Gingrich. I can live with Ron Paul too,
if he does not get me nuked by the fanatical Moslems in Iran.

My purpose in doing so is to resist collectivism
and to resist authoritarianism and to support personal freedom and Individualism.

I tend to judge the quality of a political candidate by his support
of a pure interpretation of the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:20 pm
@sozobe,
Ron Paul is anti-war,
but not enuf so to stop the Moslems in Iran from nuking NY.

Thay 'd probably take special pleasure in doing it on some Sept. 11th.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:16 pm
Obama. Not one of the republican candidates is for me as they have proved time and time again. I used to be lower middle class but after Bush and a republican government the last few years I am getting closer to poor every year.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:52 pm
Obama and every other Democratic candidate on my local slate.
I am also pushing every person I know throughout this nation to vote Democratic and force the GOP out of the House while holding the Senate so we can start getting something done.

Joe(Get the obstructionists of our way.)Nation
sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:57 pm
@Joe Nation,
Amen.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 04:20 pm
I'm undecided for Pres. I'll vote for my current House rep (R) because he's a moderate who is interesting in building cross-party coalitions. He's also in his first term so he hasn't yet met my self-imposed term limit rule (12 years in the House, 18 in the Senate). No one needs to "serve" longer than that, and I don't think they can without becoming so ingrained in the status quo that they forget why they're there.

I supported Obama in 2008 after McCain chose Palin as a running mate. I've not been happy, but I think life under McC/P would have us in a worse place than we are today. I'll vote for him again if the Rs come up with someone who I think won't make things better, or if whoever that person is picks someone totally unacceptable as a VP running mate.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 04:26 pm
@JPB,
Has your local (R) Representative signed the Norquist Pledge? If so, you don't have a Representative, you have a lobbyist for Norquist.

Joe(In one hand a pen, in the other a rubber stamp)Nation
JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 04:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yes, but we've had that conversation. Both he and my R Senator are on record supporting Simpson-Bowles and would vote for it if it came to the floor. Going against Grover means they're at risk of being primaried. I think that risk is less meaningful than it used to be.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 05:05 pm
Obama is absolutely the worst candidate we have . . . except for all the others who are much, much worse.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 05:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Maybe. Maybe not. I think not, but on one point I have no doubt; if Obama is re-elected by whatever margin, he will be convinced he's got a 100% endorsement of the first term. He isn't capable of any other conclusion. He's gotta' go.

I'm sure the Republican majority in the House thinks they have some sort of mandate, too. They don't. The message they should have received is that we were watching, and still are.