Who are you voting for in the upcoming election and why?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 05:40 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. I think not, but on one point I have no doubt; if Obama is re-elected by whatever margin, he will be convinced he's got a 100% endorsement of the first term. He isn't capable of any other conclusion. He's gotta' go.

I'm sure the Republican majority in the House thinks they have some sort of mandate, too. They don't. The message they should have received is that we were watching, and still are.

Isn't that every politician tho? Bush felt the same thing, so did Clinton.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 05:41 pm
All of the candidates are disappointments to me.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 05:42 pm
@roger,
My problem, Roger, is that I don't see a single Republican candidate on the horizon that I could vote for with a clear conscience. I lived under Romney in Mass. We've all had the unfortunate experience of witnessing Gingrich's 'Contract on America.' And so on. For me, Obama's the only one left standiing.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I understand. I bet every one of them has something you completely agree with, but. . . .

I have the same problem with all the Democrat candidate.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:29 pm
I'm voting for Obama...unless Lady Gaga runs, in which case I will vote for her.

I'd rather have a kick boxer use my nuts for practice than vote for any of the Republican candidates.

(Did I over-state my case there?)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 08:31 pm
I'm voting for whomever runs against Obama (including even Gingrich).

Why?

Because I am a conservative libertarian and Obama is anything but.

I completely disagree with his goal of wealth redistribution, and his vision of America as simply one player among many on the world stage.

I stand 180 degrees from almost every position he has taken on both the domestic and international fronts.

No matter how much I have disagreed with or despised past presidential candidates, I have never thought that any of them could or would take the country to a place from which it might never return. I always figured that after 4 or even 8 years, we might be in a bad place, but we would always recover.

Ronald Reagan's presidency seemed to prove that coming after Jimmy Carter's. The irony is that at the time, I was worried about where Ronald Reagan would take the country. The folly of youth.

However, Barack Obama is the first president in my lifetime who truly scares me, not because I think he wants to undermine or destroy America, but because given our current weakness he is the worst person to lead us. Others may have steered our ship too close to the rocks, but he's brought us closer still and with four more years could easily wreck us.

If you want to get an idea of how, read Flashback by Dan Simmons.

Fortunately there is a scenario where the damage of which he's capable can be mitigated: Republicans gain control of both houses of Congress in the 2012 elections. The dark side of that scenario is that it will likely lead to him instigating the most serious constitutional crisis in over 100 years.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 08:33 pm
@RABEL222,
Uhh...we've had a Democrat government the last few years.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 09:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Obama and every other Democratic candidate on my local slate.
I am also pushing every person I know throughout this nation to vote Democratic and force the GOP out of the House while holding the Senate so we can start getting something done.

Joe(Get the obstructionists of our way.)Nation

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Obama is by far the best option available. Giving the coutry back to the GOP after the mess they made the last time, would be sheer lunacy.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 05:20 am
http://lmliberty.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2012-nobama.gif
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 11:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Our current weakness? The US is unmatched militarily and we are, to the best of my knowledge, still the largest and most dynamic economy in the world, and the reserve currency for the civilized world.

There is no weakness. Do we have problems? Sure, but the country has always had persistent issues to deal with, and we always will.

You Conservatives have made the mistake of swallowing your own bullshit and believing it, and it's got you living in some sort of alternate reality. I blame it on a fundamental inability to adjust to changing conditions in society brought about by greater informational freedom.

Cycloptichorn
RABEL222

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 04:03 pm
Unfortunately a majority of the citizenry refuses to assimilate any information except that that comes from the bible. Science dosent advocate eternal life after death and isent therefore to be believed.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 07:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And I blame your condition on low self-esteem.

You really should think more highly of yourself Cy.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:25 pm
Liberals need to ditch Occupy extremism and learn what the US constitution is all about.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
Why don't you tell us what its about?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:45 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:
Why don't you tell us what its about?
By curtailing jurisdiction, as found in the Bill of Rights,
personal freedom is promoted & protected.

Jurisdiction of government and personal freedom are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

David
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Jurisdiction of government and personal freedom are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL

it must be difficult for someone who believes that to vote for any Republican candidate
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:58 pm
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Jurisdiction of government and personal freedom are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL
ehBeth wrote:
it must be difficult for someone who believes that to vote for any Republican candidate
Explain your reasoning (with some specificity, please) ?

The GOP is the party of Barry Goldwater.

David
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 02:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Liberals need to ditch Occupy extremism and learn what the US constitution is all about.

Peaceful protest is extreme, as opposed to locking up people without trial. Thanks for explaining the Constitution to an outsider.

There was an article in yesterday's Guardian about you Republicans and the Constitution.

Quote:
A few years back I published a book calling for Britain to learn from America's founding ideal, to reshape our own creaking political machinery on the lines of the US constitution, with its separation of powers and guaranteed rights. Soon after publication, events conspired to make the US a hard sell. Whether it was the Monica Lewinsky-related impeachment of Bill Clinton, the Florida fiasco in which Al Gore seemed to lose an election he'd won or the entire Bush presidency, I was regularly confronted with the original subtitle of my book – How Britain Can Live the American Dream – and mockingly asked, "It's all looking like a bit of a nightmare now, isn't it?".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/13/republicans-abuse-system-not-american-way?INTCMP=SRCH
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:50 pm
Liberal extremism is obstructionism.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

The GOP is the party of Barry Goldwater.

Was, not is.

The party has moved on.