The Canada Thread

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:13 pm
@Joeblow,
That man is righteously pissed. The "Freedom" folks really misread the strength of their support - especially considering that other than Occupy, who camps out in the winter?

I hope they get clamped down PDQ if they are stupid enough to show up in Washington.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:14 pm
@Joeblow,
Great tweets, JoeBlow - some made me laugh out loud - thanks! Yeah, if it had been held here in Cgy, I think I would have bought a paint-ball gun Smile
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:16 pm
@McGentrix,
Fuckin' A, right? Nah.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:31 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
We have a proliferation of fantastic craft brews, as well Smile Sour beer is apparently the thing now. I don't drink beer. Well, on a hot day, I'll have a Velvet Fog Raspberry but only if there's no cold wine. I don't know any Canadians who would willingly buy/drink American beer. Imported beer from abroad is well-thought of, though. Heineken, Stella Artois, etc.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:45 pm
@Mame,
A couple of brewers do some good sour beers down here.

I might have an ale or a Stella or two, maybe two or three times a month and then maybe none for a month or three.

I used to do contract work in Montreal. One day drinking coffee and reading the paper, I read a story about an US soldier who was arrested for drunken behavior downtown in a retail and restaurant district.

When asked by the judge what he believed were extenuating circumstances, the soldier blamed weak US brews. That he wasn't prepared for Canadian ale,
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 06:39 pm
I was just thinking about Steve Podborski...a member of the Crazy Canucks Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0su1g3nffg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2022 06:55 pm
Mame

Reply Fri 13 May, 2022 09:40 am
@tsarstepan,
That was extremely boring and annoying.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2022 06:44 am
Targetted assassination in Surrey British Colombia.

Ripudaman Singh Malik was found not guilty of bombing an Air India flight in 1985.

His body hasb een found next to a burnt out vehicle.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2022 06:21 am
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2022 08:54 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c5/72/55/c57255e4abd93ff133bf0c82be98b605.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 10:27 am
@hingehead,
After years of decline, the auto industry in Canada is making a comeback
Quote:
Canada is one of the largest car producers in North America. The transition toward electric vehicles provides new opportunities to build on this legacy.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2022 02:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ceili

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 09:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Kent Monkman is brilliant.
I remember when I first found out about residential schools. I only remember hearing the name and seeing a picture, schools for Indian kids. I thought they sounded lovely, schools in park like settings sounded idyllic. I went to school in the inner city. I went to school with native kids. Their parents and/or grandparents probably went to residential schools.They never talked about it.
It wasn't till I was in grade 8/9 that I remember hearing about them. Then slowly, we all started to hear the stories. At first there was a lot of disbelief. The schools my parents etc. went to had corporal punishment, or were boarding schools, with cruel teachers and/or nuns. They just thought the Natives were soft.
Then the stories got louder, more descriptive, the horrors, the abuse, the starvation, more dead children..
Then people started to believe. To understand. To emphasis.
Canada is far from perfect. We have, I think, as a collective started working on the changes that the Truth and Reconciliation process recommended. In the last 5 years I've seen all kinds of things change for the better.
All that being said, there is a huge group of people that are survivors, and while many of them have lived ok or even great lives, there are so many that have struggled, and so have their children and so on. I can't imagine their trauma. Generational scars.
Except in a way I can completely. I have been saying for years that Ireland was the model for Canada. Not only were the police the same, so were the residential schools and prison system, and so many other insidious things.
The only thing I'd change is, Canada wasn't (at first) a place people came because they wanted to... It was a dumping ground to get rid of a problem population. In both Ireland and Scotland, where the Catholics/Ethnic Scots/Irish lived, the government cleared the lands. They allowed the (mostly) newly wealthy (from slavery) to buy up huge tracts of land. Doing so displaced ?? thousands of people, either by deportation or burning their homes out from under them. They either moved to the cities around the UK, or chose (forced) migration.
In Ireland they created Plantations, where they moved in - planted more desirable people. See US plantations...
When stealing people became a problem, white slaves were useless, and you can only steal so many women to put on boats for breeding purposes... but if you starve them out and put them on coffin boats, problems solved.
Everything they (the rich colonialists) learned across the pond, they applied here. The funny thing is, the UK lost all interest in Canada, except to get rid of problems, they continued to deport people to Canada until the 50's, I believe. They didn't give a damn about us, natives or anyone. Just wanted us gone.
The only difference between what they did to the Native in Canada, and what they did to the Irish, is that we lost everything. We gained a lot of oppourtunity - I guess, but we no longer have the language, the customs, the history. It will be lost to future generations except genetics - sun burns - maybe. lol
The call us all colonialists now, because of our skin colour, but we were all hurt/affected/ by the same greedy force. We lost our homeland, family ties, history, language, they lost their land, they lost their innocence. They tried to beat the Indian out of the child. It didn't work. It did with the rest of us.
Thankfully, they've been able to hold on to their culture, many of their languages, their stories, their history and their medicine.
We hold on to scraps of memories, our history is in books, our culture is now hockey and donuts, our stories are the same crap our neighbours to the south share, hollywood princesses ad nauseum. The rich greedy bastards won. They are still winning... Maybe one day they won't. I won't be holding my breath.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 10:13 pm
@Ceili,
I found your post fascinating, probably because we may share some family-like memories. For what ever it's worth, it opened my head back up to old stories, even older relatives and experiences that I really don't know how describe. At least not tonight.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2022 02:58 pm
@Ceili,
Amen, sister. And to think that in this day and age, with our amount of safe, clean drinking water, we have communities in the north without it. I'd like all government ministers to go those communities for just [i]one day[/i] not just to experience a day without drinking water, but to see the level of poverty many survive in. It's reprehensible the price those poor souls have to pay for basic food items. I have experiences of working in Nunavut and northern Yukon I could tell you about their conditions. Deplorable. The govt of Canada are "the deplorables" for allowing this. Charity should begin at home.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2022 06:50 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Kent Monkman is brilliant.
I remember when I first found out about residential schools. I only remember hearing the name and seeing a picture, schools for Indian kids. I thought they sounded lovely, schools in park like settings sounded idyllic. I went to school in the inner city. I went to school with native kids. Their parents and/or grandparents probably went to residential schools.They never talked about it.
It wasn't till I was in grade 8/9 that I remember hearing about them. Then slowly, we all started to hear the stories. At first there was a lot of disbelief. The schools my parents etc. went to had corporal punishment, or were boarding schools, with cruel teachers and/or nuns. They just thought the Natives were soft.
Then the stories got louder, more descriptive, the horrors, the abuse, the starvation, more dead children..
Then people started to believe. To understand. To emphasis.
Canada is far from perfect. We have, I think, as a collective started working on the changes that the Truth and Reconciliation process recommended. In the last 5 years I've seen all kinds of things change for the better.
All that being said, there is a huge group of people that are survivors, and while many of them have lived ok or even great lives, there are so many that have struggled, and so have their children and so on. I can't imagine their trauma. Generational scars.
Except in a way I can completely. I have been saying for years that Ireland was the model for Canada. Not only were the police the same, so were the residential schools and prison system, and so many other insidious things.
The only thing I'd change is, Canada wasn't (at first) a place people came because they wanted to... It was a dumping ground to get rid of a problem population. In both Ireland and Scotland, where the Catholics/Ethnic Scots/Irish lived, the government cleared the lands. They allowed the (mostly) newly wealthy (from slavery) to buy up huge tracts of land. Doing so displaced ?? thousands of people, either by deportation or burning their homes out from under them. They either moved to the cities around the UK, or chose (forced) migration.
In Ireland they created Plantations, where they moved in - planted more desirable people. See US plantations...
When stealing people became a problem, white slaves were useless, and you can only steal so many women to put on boats for breeding purposes... but if you starve them out and put them on coffin boats, problems solved.
Everything they (the rich colonialists) learned across the pond, they applied here. The funny thing is, the UK lost all interest in Canada, except to get rid of problems, they continued to deport people to Canada until the 50's, I believe. They didn't give a damn about us, natives or anyone. Just wanted us gone.
The only difference between what they did to the Native in Canada, and what they did to the Irish, is that we lost everything. We gained a lot of oppourtunity - I guess, but we no longer have the language, the customs, the history. It will be lost to future generations except genetics - sun burns - maybe. lol
The call us all colonialists now, because of our skin colour, but we were all hurt/affected/ by the same greedy force. We lost our homeland, family ties, history, language, they lost their land, they lost their innocence. They tried to beat the Indian out of the child. It didn't work. It did with the rest of us.
Thankfully, they've been able to hold on to their culture, many of their languages, their stories, their history and their medicine.
We hold on to scraps of memories, our history is in books, our culture is now hockey and donuts, our stories are the same crap our neighbours to the south share, hollywood princesses ad nauseum. The rich greedy bastards won. They are still winning... Maybe one day they won't. I won't be holding my breath.

Wow! Ceili.

Haven't "seen" you in a long while. Hope all is well.

0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2023 06:04 pm
(Sorry, I'm just putting this thread in my list of posts...)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 12 May, 2023 12:00 am
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/71/b4/68/71b46824370021d488f863c3b0f3576b.jpg
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 12 May, 2023 01:08 pm
@hingehead,
Very Happy
0 Replies