The Canada Thread

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 03:45 pm
I'm placing plastic containers in my car today for when I go to the grocery store. Do you know that here in Calgary they have bin police who can look in your bins and fine you if you have the a container in the wrong bin? holy ****. are we over-regulated or what? Currently, we don't get the option of not buying produce in clamshell containers... they should be fining Safeway, etc. So... I will take that clamshell container of fruit to the counter, have them check it, then throw the produce in a plastic/glass container of mine and give them back the clamshell... they can keep their garbage. Clamshells are not allowed in recycling due to the sticky labels on them - recycling facilities apparently cannot remove them. We currently have 3000 massive containers full of these sticky-labelled clamshell containers... while they're waiting what to do with them.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 03:49 pm
LOL Raptors!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 06:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Looks like a whole passle of people left and went somewhere else. Nobody told me so I guess Im one of the folks they were avoiding. Good grief, do i go around bragging about my IQ and spew mantras? I know Im all wrapped up in geology but I dont like to just engage in rgument with other geologists. That get boring because we dont usually call each other by insulting names.

OH WAIT, maybe its the insults.

I miss the Canajuns, they just look at us patiently and smile like a Pharisee.

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 11:58 pm
@farmerman,
Hi FM, I'm trolling the forum looking for pleasant conversation.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 12:00 am
@glitterbag,
With FARMERMAN!?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 12:16 am
Camilla Paglia: "Dr Jordan Peterson is the best intellectual to be produced by Canada in at least a generation (Paraphrase, maybe)".

Dr Gad Saad is pretty awesome as well, he who identifies still I think as "The Great and Wonderful Gad Saad, A TRUE GOD!".

Dr Saad is gender fluid, it turns on a whim by the day, sometimes by the hour....because he is so motherfucking modern!
Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 02:04 pm
@roger,
Hope springs eternal!!!!
roger

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 02:11 pm
@glitterbag,
Just kidding. He's a pretty good ol' boy.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 02:15 pm
@roger,
I know you were kidding, I like FM....... plus he's very clever.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
When you picked us up in Philly, I thought for a moment that you were going to take us to one of your digs. That would have been a helluva experience.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 09:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

When you picked us up in Philly, I thought for a moment that you were going to take us to one of your digs. That would have been a helluva experience.

Certainly and though your intellectual decline seems to be substantial nobody can take away from you what you have done for the A2k community.....even though I am clearly a heretic who gets a lot of hate because we now live in dark times I say nobody can take away from you what you did....what you wanted to do.....good stuff that almost no one else was willing to do.

Thank You
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 10:00 pm
Gad Saad Today on Twitter:
Quote:
There is nearly nothing progressive or liberal about political parties who proclaim to be either. I’m about as socially liberal as one can get & there is almost no commonality between my positions and theirs. They are largely collectivist totalitarians driven by the herd mindset.

ABUSIVE BUS DRIVERS TO UTOPIA is what they are, and I will have none of that, I know how that ALWAYS works......because I did the work to get educated, as far too few did......because that is always how it goes in Dark Ages.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 12:52 pm
Quebec denies Frenchwoman residency for failing to show command of French
Quote:
A French doctoral student has been denied residency in Quebec after officials in Canada’s francophone province ruled that she had an inadequate command of her mother tongue.

Emilie Dubois, a graphic designer who has lived and studied in Quebec City for eight years, was stunned to find her recent residency application denied on the grounds that she failed to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of French.

“I have a diploma from a francophone university, the first in Canada. I’m a French citizen, too, and I did all of my studies in French,” she told Radio-Canada.

The provincial government based its controversial decision on her dissertation on cellular and molecular biology. The first chapter of her work – a response to a scientific journal article – was written in English, while the remaining four sections were written in French.

“The first letter said you are not proving you know how to speak French because your thesis is considered to be written in English,” Dubois told the National Post.

The letter read: “You did not complete program of study in Quebec entirely in French, including the dissertation or thesis.”

The decision left Dubois dumbfounded.

“It’s like an avalanche fell on my head and I don’t know why,” she told Radio-Canada.

Her initial application was submitted under a program meant to expedite foreigner workers applying for residency, something she was confident she qualified for.

ubois then took a government-approved French language test to prove she could speak her native tongue, immediately submitting the results. But months later, she was notified that the government had chosen to uphold its original decision.

Quebec, the only province which is majority French-speaking, has at times taken provocative steps to preserve French as its official language. In October, the government proposed banning the popular greeting “Bonjour-hi”, only to quickly backtrack amid outrage and ridicule from residents.

Dubois left her home in France in 2012 to pursue a doctoral degree at Quebec’s Laval University. After completing the program, she started her own graphic design firm. Because she runs her own company, the government also views her as self-employed, further complicating her efforts to obtain residency.

Following media reports on her plight, a representative of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec tweeted that the decision is being reviewed.

Dubois, who still has nearly two years remaining on her current work permit, is optimistic the situation will be resolved.

“My life is here,” Dubois told Radio-Canada. “You cannot tell me that I cannot prove that I speak French.”

Radio Canada-ICI Québec: Un chapitre de doctorat rédigé en anglais empêche une Française d'immigrer au Québec
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 02:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We all know who failed here, and it's not Emile Dubois. Should it be "merci" or "mercy?"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 05:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Take that for using the language of the sons of hamsters whose fathers smelt of eddleberries!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 06:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 08:56 am
Ontario's New License Plates Have A Problem: You Can't Read Them
https://imgur.com/mRuYUQ1.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 02:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
No more parking tickets.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 11:26 am
55 years ago, QE II visited Germany .... and our district.

Why posting it here? It starts at 4:10 in the video ...