The Canada Thread

Ceili

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 05:44 pm
@farmerman,
The annual migration stops here at the end of April. There are a few lakes around here that birders love. Apparently, you can see something like 50 different species on one weekend.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 06:08 pm
@Ceili,
In Delaware, where the snow geese just left in the last week or so, the entire 11000 acre bird sanctuary is now in an environmental crisis just from snow goose ****. They may open the flood gates and allow the brackish bay water to flush out the entire marshlands , otherwise, in spring we will have another bigass algae bloom
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:09 am
Hey.....isn't this front bloke in the Oscars 'selfie' that Canadian Mayor fellow?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhxj5ktCQAAYZQ3.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:11 am
Yeah, Rob Ford . . . the clown of Toronto . . . oops, i meant the mayor of Toronto.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:19 am
@Setanta,
Was there a free bar at the Oscars then?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:29 am
There may well have been. (I read yesterday that there would be 1200 magnums of champagne there.) However, Rob is equally well known for his drug abuse, particularly an infamous video showing him smoking crack. I don't think that he actually attended the Oscars, though. He was in LA to appear on the program of a late-night comedian, who spent 30 minutes ridiculing him. Ford seems to think it will increase his popularity going into the October mayoral race. He needs something. City council has stripped him of all of his powers which are not merely symbolic, and the Deputry Mayor, Norm Kelly, exercises those powers he has lost. He actually might get re-elected. He was elected largely by the votes of the residents of suburbs which voted in the mayoral election for the first time in the last election. He seems to continue to be popular among those voters. It will depend on the other candidates. In the last election, the Liberals shot themselves in the collective foot when two popular Liberal candidates ran, and neither would step aside for the other. There is one candidate who might beat him, and that is Olivia Chow. She is an NDP MP, and served on city council for several years. She is also the widow of the most popular Canadian politician for a generation, which hasn't hurt her publicity profile. She is widely considered a likely candidate, but she has not yet announced. Meanwhile, Rob Ford continues to babble about "Ford Nation" (which means his suburban core constituency) and to make a public spectacle of himself, apparently on the principal that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
When I was in Ireland, I was surprised to see Canadian geese. I mentioned them to my Uncle, he called them something else, thankfully cause they're not well loved. Anywhere these geese have been introduced, or are now staying for longer durations, they are causing similar problems.
Because it's getting warmer, the snow geese/canadian geese are reproducing in record numbers. It's only going to get worse...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:42 pm
@Ceili,
We've got Canada geese here in Germany since the 1970's.
Those geese have reached northern Europe naturally, however, many have been introduced by men as well.
Originally, in Germany most Canada geese were migrates from Scandinavia. But nowadays, these are a minority.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:46 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

When I was in Ireland, I was surprised to see Canadian geese.

Did they have Canadian flags on their backpacks and/or jackets? If so, then are you sure they weren't American college bound goslings who didn't want to be thought of as ugly American migratory birds?
panzade

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
When i was hitch-hiking across Europe in 1968 i was envious of the Canucks that could wear their flags on their backpacks.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:14 pm
@panzade,
Here, where I live, they didn't have to show them ... we recognised the "Rotkäppchen" (little red riding hoods) otherwise Wink
Ceili

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ha.. I'd imagine a bunch of them were more Brother's Grimm than Disney. Very Happy
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:18 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Ha.. I'd imagine a bunch of them were more Brother's Grimm than Disney. Very Happy
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpse6aa9e69.jpg
(The Disney type in the centre is a local, "the littel hunter of Soest" aka Simplicius Simplicissimus)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:18 pm
anyone remember Evangeline? Here's the poem set to music. It was written by Henry Wordworth Longfellow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIJKmFisrPg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:38 pm
Oops, make that Wadsworth. My words aren't worth much these days. Razz
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 07:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Ceili wrote:

When I was in Ireland, I was surprised to see Canadian geese.

Did they have Canadian flags on their backpacks and/or jackets? If so, then are you sure they weren't American college bound goslings who didn't want to be thought of as ugly American migratory birds?

The ones around here are American by birthright. Very strong on family values, by the way. Much more so than those slutty Mallards.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:39 am
Quote:
Detective Jake Peralta: Do they even have pizza in Canada?
Vivian: Yes. It's puffier and it's sweet. It's called Manitoba sauce cake.

Is this true? Those are some lines of dialogue from the very serious police procedural known as Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013 ), led by Oscar worthy Andy Samberg.
(;-p)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:53 am
My, my, my . . . how gullible.

According to M & M Meat Shops:

http://www.mmmeatshops.com/images/products/large/470.jpg

A pizzeria-style crust topped with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, sliced dry-cured pepperoni, sliced mushrooms and crumbled bacon.

http://www.canadianliving.com/img/photos/biz/Cheeseburger-Pizza-5801329150897.jpg

The cheeseburger pizza has always been a favorite in Canada.

With the Domino's, Pizza Hut, PIzza Pizza, Papa John's, Little Caesar's, 241 Pizza, Boston Pizza, Greco Pizza and Flying Wedge Pizza chain stores, pizza is a live and well in Canada, and has pretty much the same menus as their American counterparts.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 08:11 pm
@Setanta,
That cheeseburger pizza with the pickles looks very enticing to me. Razz
~~~~~
The 12 Weirdest Experiences You Can Have in Canada
12. THE DIEFENBUNKER
http://mentalfloss.com/article/55670/12-weirdest-experiences-you-can-have-canada
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:14 am
@tsarstepan,
THIS BLOODY MARY'S TOPPED WITH A WHOLE CHICKEN, A HOT DOG, BURGERS, AND, SOMEHOW, MORE
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/score-on-davie-s-bloody-caesar-has-an-entire-roast-chicken-burger-hot-dog-and-more-thrillist-nation